Your first suit

Sammy Ambrose

The pic of the young guy in a suit in the Diagreeable thread is the inspiration for this thread. What was your first suit?

My first suit was a stone coloured 3 button patch pocket, 8inch centre vent, parrallell trousers with 18inch bottoms and no cuff.

It was made to measure at Montague Burton when I was 15. Paid for by Saturday job. Worn with Ben Sherman button downs with no the. Ties were for school.

What about you? And was yours better than the boy's in the Disagreeable thread?

Mine was a MTM from a super cheap tailor in Spain. Problem was I was 50kg heavier, so MTM was not a great fit...

A Eugene Boss (remember that brand?) dark brown Mohair with thin orange windowpane. My dad got it me for my 14th in the sales. It was two buttoned and I had it altered to a three button, trousers were flared and I had those slimmed down and narrow at the bottom. Top mod in school! Even if I did wear it with dessies. I lived in that suit.

Edit; yes it was better than that young lads, at least I think it was but at 14 what does anyone know? I was the envy of all my mates because it was Mohair and you could tell it was better than Merc gear which they were wearing.

Last edited:
My first suit was an mtm from Thick As Thieves. I was getting married and had never owned one, so I created an SF account and wadded through a lot of bad advice until I hit on Jason’s new business.

It was a tonal stripe dark gray one button in the house cut (ticket pocket and an unfortunate skinny lapel) that was well made and fit well. Not anything that would get any praise around here, but it was rock and roll enough to be my gateway into the world of CM. It’s still in my closet and still fits - I figure I might pull it out for an impending funeral soon if the moths haven’t gotten to it.

As an aside, for the rehearsal dinner I wore a Kent Want ocbd. Jason had just done a colab with him. Kent was still a poor student and had just started selling one shirt (available in three colors). I went around to his house in East Austin near the cemetery and tried on a couple that he pulled from boxes in his spare room.

Last edited:
Can’t remember my first. But I have pics of a mid grey worsted for school and also a navy blazer for school.

I do remember well my first suit I “designed“, basically a version of MTM/custom by Fletcher Jones, after I left school around 16 -17. Navy, 3 piece, 3 button very deep/long single inverted pleat, very waisted, narrow cuffless trousers. White tab collar shirt. Can’t remember tie, certainly narrow, possibly some sort of navy knit. Black pointy toed shoes. Navy socks.

Hugo Boss crap, then Corneliani that was quite good for rtw.
I've never worn or bought a Hugo Boss. But I worked with a Lebanese guy about 30 years ago who always wore that brand and he always looked good. I suspect he had had them tweaked by a tailor as the fit for him was spot on.

Can’t remember my first. But I have pics of a mid grey worsted for school and also a navy blazer for school.

I do remember well my first suit I “designed“, basically a version of MTM/custom by Fletcher Jones, after I left school around 16 -17. Navy, 3 piece, 3 button very deep/long single inverted pleat, very waisted, narrow cuffless trousers. White tab collar shirt. Can’t remember tie, certainly narrow, possibly some sort of navy knit. Black pointy toed shoes. Navy socks.
It's a shame that we can't summon Bop from FNB to draw this. He's gifted that way. It's a very detailed description. Come in, Bop. The honeymoon is over.

I've never worn or bought a Hugo Boss. But I worked with a Lebanese guy about 30 years ago who always wore that brand and he always looked good. I suspect he had had them tweaked by a tailor as the fit for him was spot on.

Maybe because they come for stock very square and need a lot of tweaks, specially in the trousers.

Boss had a superior line made by Caruso, those were good but expensive ( 1300 euros) not the awful plastic basics of 600e.

I’m pretty sure my first suit was a Versace in an unusual greenish dark grey. I wore it way beyond it’s due date. Fit was ok I think, I always had nice ties and shoes, so hopefully I looked better than the guy in the disagreeable thread.

I think especially the cheap Hugo Boss can make everyone look well provided they are large enough, because everything is glued into place so you always get a good silhouette, a bit boxy, but better than many higher quality garments that are less forgiving.

It's a shame that we can't summon Bop from FNB to draw this. He's gifted that way. It's a very detailed description. Come in, Bop. The honeymoon is over.
Please don't. The place will only get clogged up with colouring wheels and rambling crap how the rainbow can be best understood using musical notes.

Please don't. The place will only get clogged up with colouring wheels and rambling crap how the rainbow can be best understood using musical notes.
He might have grown up now. Everyone deserves a second chance. (Well, not everyone, but most.

Mine was a light grey Prince of Wales cloth, I think it was from Austin Reed. I got it for my uncle's wedding in 1988, I wore it on my 18th birthday as well with a white Pringle pique polo to go out to Mr Chow's Chinese restaurant in Parkgate on the Wirral. I only know that because my mum has all the photos. Must have worn several times in that period for weddings and extended family events. That world has all gone now for me. Not sure it even exists back home.

Dark charcoal 3 hard buttons. It came with a vest too. I am pretty sure it had a good chunk of polyester in the blend.
Don't remember the brand but was from a posh shop in my town so not cheap.
It was actually a good fit. I need to ask my mum where it is.

Mine was a light grey Prince of Wales cloth, I think it was from Austin Reed. I got it for my uncle's wedding in 1988, I wore it on my 18th birthday as well with a white Pringle pique polo to go out to Mr Chow's Chinese restaurant in Parkgate on the Wirral. I only know that because my mum has all the photos. Must have worn several times in that period for weddings and extended family events. That world has all gone now for me. Not sure it even exists back home.
I've never had a Prince of Wales. I have a Dogtooth that I haven't worn for a couple of years.

But I have fond memories of an old Cambridgeshire farmer who had lovely suits, invariably worn with trilbys.

I can see him now in a great Prince of Wales relating how he never bothers with chimney sweeps. He prefers to use his shotgun and give the soot 'both barrels'.

Grade 12 grad 1982. Went to Al Sprintz menswear which was actually a clearance/wholesale joint where us poors could afford a suit. Think it was $75 all-in with alterations. After the haggling.

No name Canadian-made (probably Cardinal) 3-piece 2-button in a brown high twist fabric (did not know it was high twist then). Double pleats and cuffed.

mens warehouse. before forums and i knew what quality clothes even were. i think i needed it for a funeral or a graduation or some kind of big event.

Short trouser suit for Sunday Mass when I was primary school age.

Then an Italian style job with a bum freezer jacket from C&A when I moved into long trousers.

Then a grey mohair suit from Burtons for the start of my dancing days.

All three always worn with a tie.

Short trouser suit for Sunday Mass when I was primary school age.

Then an Italian style job with a bum freezer jacket from C&A when I moved into long trousers.

Then a grey mohair suit from Burtons for the start of my dancing days.

All three always worn with a tie.
Primary school days for me was a school blazer for school and a green Harris Tweed and short grey trousers for formal wear. In second year secondary school it was long trousers for the vast majority. An unfortunate few were kept in short trousers.

A MTM from Caruso. For some reason I thought it was a good idea, to have a pinstribe suit as the first one. Never used it much.

Primary school days for me was a school blazer for school and a green Harris Tweed and short grey trousers for formal wear. In second year secondary school it was long trousers for the vast majority. An unfortunate few were kept in short trousers.
Blazer was optional for us most of the week (could wear a v neck uniform jumper for warmth) except for Friday morning chapel/assembly. So every Friday morning I would pull that balled up wrinkled mess out of my locker and pray it passed inspection without getting written up for a dress violation.

Blazer was optional for us most of the week (could wear a v neck uniform jumper for warmth) except for Friday morning chapel/assembly. So every Friday morning I would pull that balled up wrinkled mess out of my locker and pray it passed inspection without getting written up for a dress violation.
And a.what about headgear? Was it a school cap or a pith helmet?

High school grad suit, was from a store in the mall called Stars, 3 button, black, flat front pants, no cuff, picked out a burnt orange shirt and a solid blue tie. I was very proud of myself that day.

And a.what about headgear? Was it a school cap or a pith helmet?
Unlike the Catholic girls school down the road with their straw boaters, we did not have a uniform hat. I see that in recent years they have introduced a big brimmed floppy cloth cap to curb the melanomas associated with growing up in the sun.

Unlike the Catholic girls school down the road with their straw boaters, we did not have a uniform hat. I see that in recent years they have introduced a big brimmed floppy cloth cap to curb the melanomas associated with growing up in the sun.
Ah. No melanoma and no Vitamin D. (Sorry. That is off toipic.)

High school grad suit, was from a store in the mall called Stars, 3 button, black, flat front pants, no cuff, picked out a burnt orange shirt and a solid blue tie. I was very proud of myself that day.
This is another post that needs ex FNB artist, Bop, to get his crayons out.

We had mid-grey worsted flannel trousers and black blazers with grey metal buttons. I'll have to return to worsted flannel sometime.

First proper suit was MtM, mid grey, two button, single-breasted, and three piece!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom