Blues, Soul, Jazz, & Funk

I've only just discovered Bettye Lavette - ploughing my way through 7 CDs. Not a bad track yet.

I used to buy records from Bettye's husband Kevin at the WFMU record fair about a decade ago when I was still into rare soul and gospel.

Might as well put here what I consider the first modern soul record ever made:

The original recording has much better fidelity but best I could find online.

I'd call that straight up gospel - not secular soul at all???

All secular soul is derivative of gospel, in the pre-modern era secular soul didn't exist yet. The Five Soul Stirrers first recordings set a precedent for vocal styling and phrasing informing modern and even contemporary soul, from my musicology perspective 2015 is closer to 1939 than 1939 was to 1919.

Sure soul comes from gospel - no one would argue otherwise. I'm not sure about who was first.
I'm not saying you're wrong - just opening it up a bit.
I was usually more interested in the shouters - Archie Brownlee down to James Brown pedigree..

Sure soul comes from gospel - no one would argue otherwise. I'm not sure about who was first.
I was usually more interested in the shouters - Archie Brownlee down to James Brown pedigree..

Gosphel was definitely first, it came from churches. Origins of blues and other forms of music that attracted blacks are more varied, but most soul singers back in the day credited being in a gospel choir as their start and main influence.

The shouting started in the churches too, I have quite a few preacher discs from the 20's more hardcore than Brown ever was.

Gosphel was definitely first, it came from churches. Origins of blues and other forms of music that attracted blacks are more varied, but most soul singers back in the day credited being in a gospel choir as their start and main influence.

I never came across a soul artist pre-80's who didn't learn or grow up in a church, shouldn't really be surprising with segregation. In the pre-modern recording era most soul (gospel) artists, generally excluding folk preachers, trained classically in universities and is self-evident in the recordings.

The shouting started in the churches too, I have quite a few preacher discs from the 20's more hardcore than Brown ever was.
I never came across a soul artist pre-80's who didn't learn or grow up in a church, shouldn't really be surprising with segregation. In the pre-modern recording era most soul (gospel) artists, generally excluding folk preachers, trained classically in universities and is self-evident in the recordings.
That was kinda my main point - Leland - JB wouldn't exist if not for the likes of Archie Brownlee. The affirmation/ shout to the lord style was straight from Church. Not that church didn't take some from blues, jazz, brass band etc but it was mostly one way. Like i said I'm not out to argue with you.

Sadly, while gosphel is worthy of note, I can't get into it because of all the god savior jesus talk. It's like a woman telling you about her fantasy of you gaying with another guy while in the middle of sex.

Sadly, while gosphel is worthy of note, I can't get into it because of all the god savior jesus talk. It's like a woman telling you about her fantasy of you gaying with another guy while in the middle of sex.
wtf?
You ok there?

Hope Sarto doesn't see you equating heretics with heterosexual. :omgrunanimation:

Had my quarterly watching of American Pimp. These are the songs off the soundtrack. Feeling very souly

part 2 next

Just catchin' up.

WAR LIVE is always in my all time top 10 live albums.

Do people still say "albums"?

Is this funk? I play this on max volume every time I see that money coming in on my bank account:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom