Coronavirus

Last month, there was another super-spreader event at a Maine wedding. This wedding took place in Millinocket, Maine, a rural town with a population of 4,300. Before the wedding, there were NO cases of COVID19 in the town. The wedding turned into the state’s largest outbreak.

• 65 people attended the wedding; 56 caught COVID19 (86% attack rate)
• This has now spread to 270 people over 500 miles
• 8 people have died, of which, none attended the wedding

Went to drop-off some bottles for recycling next to the local football club and they were playing junior games and the place was full of dads and mums not socially distancing at all. Interesting as Germany has just put The Hague into a place you need to go into 14 days quarantine after visiting.

In the offices by mine, there's a distinct return to normal as regards car park space and people jumping in the lift with you whilst the rule now is only one person per lift.

My staff remain at home for the duration.

Went to drop-off some bottles for recycling next to the local football club and they were playing junior games and the place was full of dads and mums not socially distancing at all. Interesting as Germany has just put The Hague into a place you need to go into 14 days quarantine after visiting.

In the offices by mine, there's a distinct return to normal as regards car park space and people jumping in the lift with you whilst the rule now is only one person per lift.

My staff remain at home for the duration.

Germany, Switzerland and Italy aren’t doing too poorly. Portugal still too early to call. The Balkans seem to be a mess.

Germany, Switzerland and Italy aren’t doing too poorly. Portugal still too early to call. The Balkans seem to be a mess.

Spain is going down fast again....

Italy is interesting, they know they can't afford another lockdown, so the response by the people is disciplined.

Germany again, disciplined.

Netherlands: increasingly wild man shite!

our genius governor here just allowed bars, night clubs, and titty bars to reopen with no restrictions. local mayors are trying to fight it but its going to go sideways here pretty quickly if what people fear to happen in the fall actually happens. i saw more than a few bars packed to the gills the other day.

A friend of mine in London just went to Switzerland and then to Corfu for a two-week holiday a few weeks ago. I was quite surprised that they were able to travel around so freely and then head back to London without any (apparent) need to quarantine.

Meanwhile, in Australia, people are generally still fairly cautious. We're only supposed to have four people in a lift at a time, and our office building is probably only one-third full of staff at any one time. Public transport is probably carrying about 20% of pre-Covid numbers.

public transport in melbourne is down to around 5% or less of capacity. Lockdown. Until yesterday it was a 9pm to 5 am curfew. Bars shut. Cafes etc takeaway only. Can’t travel more than 5 k from home. No visitors At home. Face masks in public compulsory , no fake masks like scarves or face shields. Still we’ve pulled cases down to 5 new cases yesterday - population 5 m. Testing rates still up high enough. No one in CBD. Still work from home for vast majority.

Primary schools go back next week. Curfew lifted tomorrow. Dentists back open tomorrow. Pet grooming too.

it’s Australia. Alcohol stores always been essential services and takeaway grog has been open.

No one in CBD. Still work from home for
it’s Australia. Alcohol stores always been essential services and takeaway grog has been open.

Yes - but drinking at home alone is obviously a sign of dependency. Drinking socially not so much.

Yes - but drinking at home alone is obviously a sign of dependency. Drinking socially not so much.

Not really: as a food enhancer it has its place with meals. Before and during, and yes, sometimes after.

New restrictions coming in here from tomorrow, as leaked: only essential travel to Amsterdam, The Hague and Rotterdam. Also they're going to be more strict on companies having staff not working from home. Most businesses seem to be almost full back in work this week. Certainly the rush hour traffic jams are back.

We got an email about a month ago that said employees should expect to work from home until January at the earliest. I suppose even that could be pushed back depending how winter goes.

No curfew here that I'm aware of. But then again the response here in the US has been a disaster.

Well done you muppets. I've a reservation at Des Indes in a couple of weeks, get your shit together!

Cod plastic Art Deco your thing? LOL.

Still, you got Impero Romano within 10 seconds walking distance - the best Negroni and opera singing head waiter in town.

As a budget/business traveller it's of course difficult for you to judge, so let me help you out: Des Indes is the best hotel in The Hague because they renovate their suites more or less every other year and they have excellent staff and service. Nothing in the city even comes close and I've tried pretty much all the big ones and a few smaller/independent hotels. If there is a better hotel, I'd be very curious.

I'm not really into Italian restaurants, I want to try Zheng next time I go. Which unfortunately might not be too soon, if they continue testing like idiots.

“Mask-wearing was already compulsory on public transport, but the Dutch government had so far avoided suggesting customers to wear one inside shops.

The new measures advise that shoppers in the three largest cities should cover their face from Tuesday. Shops will be allowed to deny entry to those who do not wear a mask.”

I thought the Europeans were more strict. You can still walk around stores without a mask?

As a budget/business traveller it's of course difficult for you to judge, so let me help you out: Des Indes is the best hotel in The Hague because they renovate their suites more or less every other year and they have excellent staff and service. Nothing in the city even comes close and I've tried pretty much all the big ones and a few smaller/independent hotels. If there is a better hotel, I'd be very curious.

I'm not really into Italian restaurants, I want to try Zheng next time I go. Which unfortunately might not be too soon, if they continue testing like idiots.

Only tourists stay in the city. It may be the best hotel in the city, but there's hardly any competition.

I would stay in the Park Hotel in Voorburg. That's where George Clooney stays when he comes over. I do business lunches there and then over the road you have the excellent Brasserie De Koeppel located in the old queen's tea room.

I thought we all learnt from the Japan and Australia containment that quarantining people to a cruise ship is basically a recipe to infect the entire population contained there.

Then again I thought we learnt not to board an enclosed vessel with tiny cabins where buffets are the norm.

Park Hotel in Voorburg
I’ve actually considered it before, it looks quite nice, but the location is too inconvenient. It’s neither in nor out of the city and I’d have to drive/taxi anywhere I want to go.

But back to the Corona hoax:

The German CDC has a network of sentinel doctors/practices specifically designed as an early warning system and to keep track of respiratory and influenca diseases. They haven’t found a single case of SARS-CoV-2 since the week after Easter. Not a single case since week 16.

They now claim it’s because the system is not sensitive enough because so few people are infected. Which is the exact opposite of what they claimed before and why they had originally installed this system, but ok who trusts them anyway (except for large parts of the government unfortunately).

In any case it makes perfect sense that they don’t find anything because the positivity rate has been below the false-positive rate for months.

But let’s panic some more! It has now been claimed by one prominent “expert” that without additional “preventive actions” there will be 50k daily new cases by the end of October (now something like 2k I think) which is THE SAME RIDICULOUS FORECAST that was made every other month since about March/April. THE OPPOSITE HAS HAPPENED. Nobody gives a shit anymore since at least July and still nothing happens: Nobody is sick, nobody is hospitalized, nothing. I honestly can’t fathom the stupidity.

"Italy's cumulative number of Covid cases over the past two weeks is currently just over 37 per 100,000 people, among the lowest rates in Europe. The UK is at over 100, France exceeds 230 and Spain has around 330.

Its testing rate is not exceptionally high - the UK is carrying out over three times the tests of Italy - but the swabs are widely available and rapid testing is now in place at some airports, train stations and schools, so there is no sign of the problems in accessing tests that have been seen in the UK and elsewhere.

The most likely explanation is a combination of factors: efficient test and tracing, a longer lockdown - Italy was the world's first country to shut down nationwide and among the slowest to reopen - and the fact that the trauma of the early weeks of the pandemic frightened Italians into widespread compliance with rules."

The best cobbler in town shut down for good because of COVID after 40 years. Have to buy my shoe care products online now.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Please President Putin help.

Why does this virus strike at the lot? Bolsonaro. Lukashenko. Johnson. Trump.

25511B46-9EA0-4286-B795-7CA81D4DAC29.jpeg

I'm talking about travel restrictions which he got called racist for at the time Chinese were seeding the world with the virus.

That was just theatre for the xenophobic base.

That was just theatre for the xenophobic base.

Hong Kong is not mainland China, although sadly soon will be.

And regardless, at that stage, he did more than the EU, much more that the in the pocket to China, Democrats could ever do.

China knew about this virus back in December.

I wonder if Trump is suggesting to his doctors to inject him with bleach or whatever substance he was recommending a few months ago...

Not sure why the US or Brazil are criticized for not having a unified federal response but every country has a mixture of state/provincial, municipal, and nationwide measures. Britain seems the most challenging to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom