Moleskins

Discussion in 'Men's Clothing' started by doghouse, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Dropbear

Dropbear Member in Good Standing

5374144D-9B86-47F7-B05D-0AF3F3BC1542.jpeg Another Gustin moleskin offering

doghouse likes this.
  2. viaattovannucci

viaattovannucci No Custom Title

The right color, at least, for what it really is.

3. formby

formby Well-Known Member

Marlboro Classics used to make nice moleskins, cut in a jeans style.

Has dozens of those....

Dropbear likes this.
  4. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member Supporter

Always difficult to tell what fabric will feel like, simply by looking at photos, but the Gustin moleskins don't look very substantial at all - the wrinkling/rippling makes them look like ordinary, thinner cotton trousers.

5. Dropbear

And this gets to my fundamental gripe with them. I like the cut and the prices are often good, but fabric quality is a total crap shoot.

I’m thinking of trying the Spier & Mackays, though none of the colours really grab me.

6. prince nez

prince nez Well-Known Member Supporter

Cordings moleskins, choice of the elite

[​IMG]

7. fxh

fxh OG Party Suit Wearer Supporter

I agree they would suit The ShoomanThe Shooman . The pair I had were far too warm for me. Unless they have changed the cut from years ago they are reasonably high rise and slim but not skinny cut.

8. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Well-Known Member

PC moleskins are very hard wearing too.

9. OP
    OP
    doghouse

doghouse King Of The Elite Idiots Moderator Supporter

Journeyman, CesareRomiti and Dropbear like this.
  10. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith Well-Known Member

What puts me off Cordings, is their connection to Eric Clapton and they were the gentleman's outfitter of choice of UKIP leader Paul Nuttall. What worked well on Home Counties Mr Farrage, looked fake on scouser Nuttall.

And you just knew Farrage had got UKIP members a good discount and that's why they all looked like Cordings clones during the last election campaign.

Dropbear likes this.
  11. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Well-Known Member

Farage was a middle class City boy who wore what he wanted - yellow cords and shirts with ties, instead of the political clone look of dark suit with no tie. I don’t think there was much unity in UKIP. Farage always seemed to clash with various members and they mostly did not follow Nigel’s dress style.

Nuttall cannot help being a scouser. He does not have to dress like Derek Hatton.

12. OP
    OP
    doghouse

Plus I'm not sure an Eric Clapton association is enough to put me off reliable well fitting trousers.

13. HenryC

HenryC Well-Known Member

Seconded. I wore mine yesterday after just washing and they are filthy again already. Navy would be nice. RB Sellers do a nice navy Moleskin with the nap on the inside for only about $80 though.

14. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith Well-Known Member

Exactly, Farage had it, it was his own thing and he mixed the country with the town. Whereas Nuttall and some of his UKIP cronies were dressing in the full-on country squire look and then going to Bootle and Middlesborough. It was all going to end in tears.

The new leader of UKIP may prove to be a sartorial oddity too, I noticed in all the interviews last week he didn't have a belt on.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  15. TheUntermensch

TheUntermensch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dropbear likes this.
  16. Dropbear

D607D4DA-CEBD-4DCF-9A00-3CCBBD084FE5.jpeg 6CDE4D35-0ED5-4AF1-8D53-D9D183828BC3.jpeg Which one? I think the blue would be more versatile with my wardrobe but maybe to bland? The moss appeals more but might be less versatile.

17. Rambo

Rambo The Trollest Of Trolls Moderator

i say green. the blue looks boring

Dropbear likes this.
  18. LelandJ

LelandJ Chicken Testicle Enthusiast

I want a moleskin suit.

Wish we could censor jacket jeans pics from this site, or just all jeans.

19. Rambo

Rambo The Trollest Of Trolls Moderator

to hell with you i say!

doghouse likes this.
  20. fxh

Jeans are Ok - but I'm not a fan of jacket and jeans

21. LelandJ

Already in hell!

22. Dropbear

It is just such a ubiquitous look in the American South that It seems normal to me now(though I dont wear it).

23. OP
    OP
    doghouse

Wore it last night.

Dropbear likes this.
  24. fxh

Oh it gets to be fairly ubiquitous (and everywhere) here too - but its very hard to do right and 99.9% of it looks shit like a sartorial mullet or worse. Its sad because theres so many other alternatives that are easy to do and nearly foolproof. If you must wear jeans - and it seems most men feel they must for some weird reason - then anything but a tailored "business" jacket is better. (A tie with jeans is just silly). Sometimes a (country) tweed tailored jacket will work with jeans, a corduroy tailored jacket will work and perhaps a moleskin. But why do it when there are so many alternative tops for jeans. And if you must wear a tailored business jacket - doggie I'm looking at you - thee are different types of jeans that would work other than blue (or worse black) denim - theres off white jeans, pincord jeans, muted tan jeans, brown jeans, moleksin jeans etc etc .

And don't get me going about the average blokes jeans, outside of a few, most mens jeans are just fucking awful. Either they are baggy gardening cheapos or too tight low rise monstrosities with back pockets half way down the thigh.

Dropbear likes this.
  25. rdiaz

rdiaz Well-Known Member

Why not some badspoke moleskin socks. And I'm all for censoring jacket and jeans pics, not so much for censoring all jeans pics!

26. Dropbear

I think I’m gonna say fuck it and get both. The blue just seems very easy to throw on for warmth and will work with 90% of my Office Pants. But the green is kinda interesting.

As for jeans and sport coat, I agree fxhfxh - has to be very casual unstructured and preferably cord, moleskin or tweed. If it’s casual enough for jeans,I’m going to want to pull out a casual (Harrington, leather, field) jacket since I don’t get to wear them that often.

27. OP
    OP
    doghouse

Not to worry fxh, I was wearing tweed Friday.

28. Dropbear

I bought a pair of camel S&M moleskin trousers in their recent sale. Not as rugged as RMW, but the color is beautiful (better then my photo) I opted for the slim fit, which is a decent straight leg. the rise could be higher, but is ok.

The big surprise for me is that they are sewn fuzzy side out, instead of in. Is this common?

5935B652-9212-4BC5-B43C-B92F5D76C253.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    CesareRomiti likes this.
  29. ConchitaWurst

ConchitaWurst Bespoke-Weather Forecaster Supporter

:vomithate:

CesareRomiti and FriendCustomer like this.
  30. Noob

Noob Active Member

I have a pair of moleskin trousers fron Sartoria Valentini. More trouserish than jeanish in a color between oatmeal and caramel. Warm, soft, substantial, good looking. Just love them, a really good garment.

Dropbear likes this.
  31. FriendCustomer

FriendCustomer Awful Tie Aficionado

F5004637-7724-437C-B1B9-56AAA0E42768.jpeg
    0172F1F9-ED1D-4203-85C9-8877F9A8C5C5.jpeg

32. FriendCustomer

FriendCustomer Awful Tie Aficionado

463DF80C-6108-45F1-8E18-F90CD45F7916.jpeg

33. LelandJ

ankle width on cordings moleskins?

34. CesareRomiti

CesareRomiti Well-Known Member

23cm AFAIK IINM IMHO
    YMMV though
    So NVM

35. Dropbear

I just ordered the lovat and navy jackets, on sale today for $159.

7F2921DD-8B07-4638-9CF7-AD1AD9851C88.jpeg