Guest viewing is limited

The way we used to live

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Lets talk about how things used to be, and how times have changed.

I will start by going way back. This video is very interesting.

How different life was 200 years ago.
- no matches to light a fire
- using cooking fat and fire ash to make soap
- having a home fire during the summer
- no cash
- paper was rare

90% of people lived on a farm.

I will start by going way back. This video is very interesting.

How different life was 200 years ago.
- no matches to light a fire
- using cooking fat and fire ash to make soap
- having a home fire during the summer
- no cash
- paper was rare

Are you trying to convince us 1822 was a better year?

We were 8 years removed from marching down and torching the White House.

Macintosh invents his waterproof raincoat. Very important.

Are you trying to convince us 1822 was a better year?

We were 8 years removed from marching down and torching the White House.

Macintosh invents his waterproof raincoat. Very important.

My point was about how different life was back then, and how difficult it would be if we tried to live like that now.

Was life better? In some ways it was, but in other ways it wasn't.

I do like the old days when l was a kid. People were simpler and nicer, and life was slower. The internet is very bad...too many have had their minds poisoned by it. I doubt the internet will last much longer, that and t.v will probably have to go.

The pace of life was slower. People communicated through letters which were handwritten. Shorthand kills me. Look at the average size of novels from that era although in the Victorian period they were release chapters at a time through newspaper. World population was smaller. Not everything was mass produced.

But I don't believe it was better. I'd like to have modern dentistry. I'd like to have access to drugs and vaccines so I don't suffer from treatable and curable diseases. I'd like to have refrigerators.

Whilst it would be nice to have a valet, butler and other service staff, life for the service staff was complete rubbish.

1960 would be good for me. But of course it was sh@t for people who were women, minorities, gays, etc. At least I felt like that was the last era you were dressed properly. Then again you're choking on leaded gasoline so who knows.

The pace of life was slower. People communicated through letters which were handwritten. Shorthand kills me. Look at the average size of novels from that era although in the Victorian period they were release chapters at a time through newspaper. World population was smaller. Not everything was mass produced.

But I don't believe it was better. I'd like to have modern dentistry. I'd like to have access to drugs and vaccines so I don't suffer from treatable and curable diseases. I'd like to have refrigerators.

Whilst it would be nice to have a valet, butler and other service staff, life for the service staff was complete rubbish.

1960 would be good for me. But of course it was sh@t for people who were women, minorities, gays, etc. At least I felt like that was the last era you were dressed properly. Then again you're choking on leaded gasoline so who knows.
I like now in a lot of ways (others not), I don't have any feelings of nostalgia for past eras, which I did in my (extended) youth, even for periods I never lived in.

The Victorian novel was designed exactly right: a new middle class with plenty of time to read. Very difficult to put yourself into that mindset, I haven't been able to for quite sometime now. It's very rewarding if you can do it.

Does anyone remember those really crappy polystyrene cups you use to get at railways stations and the like for your tee and soup? Dreadful. And the same time you could get sandwiches in plastic that was of such low quality the taste and chemicals would leech in the sandwich. That's back in the early 80s now.

Does anyone remember those really crappy polystyrene cups you use to get at railways stations and the like for your tee and soup? Dreadful. And the same time you could get sandwiches in plastic that was of such low quality the taste and chemicals would leech in the sandwich. That's back in the early 80s now.

When I was a kid you could get leaded petrol. Now people say chronic health issues, lower IQ, crime, reproductive failure were attributed to that.

I'm sure there's something in our shampoo or something common and in everyone's household that the next generation will be shocked we're using.

When I was a kid you could get leaded petrol. Now people say chronic health issues, lower IQ, crime, reproductive failure were attributed to that.

I'm sure there's something in our shampoo or something common and in everyone's household that the next generation will be shocked we're using.
The first sign of lead poisoning is bad nightmares. Just in case...

This is an eye opening video about how the wealthy used to live during The Guilded Age. Never was such opulence ever known throughout history, and makes any luxury lifestyles today look poor in comparison. I find the lifestyles of the Guilded Age to be fascinating.

- solid gold toilets
- $15,000 dog collars (1800's price)
- $11,000,000 mansions (1800's price).

Here are some of the houses these Guilded Age folk lived in. It is mind boggling.

Pure marble (vanderbilt house)
Mansions - vanderbilt - marble.jpg

Vanderbilt mansion inside
Mansions - vanderbilt 1.jpg

My favourite all time mansion, the Rothchild house. Great presence.
mansions - rothchild 1.jpg mansions - rothchild 2.jpg

Another Rothchild mansion. As Mr Rothchild said, he doesn't live there because it is too big. He hasn't even been into every room despite him staying there often on weekends for decades.
mansions - rothchild 3.jpg

We will never see houses and castles like these again. Modern architecture doesn't compare.

Last edited:
On school holidays, my grandmother would take me to ‘the city’ to see a film and have a light lunch. No fancy cafes or bistros back then, just a table at a department store cafeteria. The food was bland, but it was always fresh.

CB72EBAF-BE66-477A-B1E6-F9022742B181.jpeg

People who crush soda cans and toss them in the garbage. I grew up in the age of recycling so it's an infamia to do it.

When I was a kid the GP would be smoking in his office on a consultation.
I regularly got busted for smoking in high school. My punishment included having to empty and clean all the overflowing ashtrays in the teachers’ lounge.

I was CEO of a small radical health service in the early 80s. We restricted smoking to 2 people in group meetings out of consideration for others. We were way ahead of the pack. I blush from embarrassment even now.

I remember Merpati Airlines offering a smoking and nonsmoking section as late as 1999.

don't people still do that?

Recycle? I hope so. Aluminum or aluminium must be one of the easiest things to recycle. I find it infuriating because these older folks bin it as trash when a recycling receptacle is right next to it.

This is in contrast to plastic which is restricted by size, colour and the different codes that dictate whether your local recycler can accept them.

I regularly got busted for smoking in high school. My punishment included having to empty and clean all the overflowing ashtrays in the teachers’ lounge.

I remember my teacher used to be puffing on a cigarette in the classroom just before we would enter.

Recycle? I hope so. Aluminum or aluminium must be one of the easiest things to recycle. I find it infuriating because these older folks bin it as trash when a recycling receptacle is right next to it.

This is in contrast to plastic which is restricted by size, colour and the different codes that dictate whether your local recycler can accept them.

Many people don't even think about those things. The rubbish is just the rubbish. All this stuff about colour and size sounds like double dutch to me. I do have various bins at home, so l do my best and try to think about it as best l can, but l still get confused about these things at times.

Last edited:
When we were kids we would ride on banana seat bikes. So classic and awesome. Ever see a bike seat look so amazing!?! When my seat wore out and split, l would just duct tape it. Some kids had flags on their seats. The streets were full of kids back then.
Bike - banana seat.jpg

When you become a teenager you would aspire to a big boy bike, the classic racer. Love the racer, they are so nice and classic.
Bike - racer.jpg

and the coolest kids had walkie talkies while riding their bikes, acting really big time.
Walkie Talkie.jpg

After the 70's the bikes were ugly and forgettable. Never a nice bike made after the banana seat bikes and racers. BMX and mountain bikes etc = ugly

Next we talk about one of my favourite things, classic aussie holdens and fords. Cars had character back then.

When we were kids we would ride on banana seat bikes. So classic and awesome. Ever see a bike seat look so amazing!?! When my seat wore out and split, l would just duct tape it. Some kids had flags on their seats. The streets were full of kids back then.
View attachment 43474

When you become a teenager you would aspire to a big boy bike, the classic racer. Love the racer, they are so nice and classic.
View attachment 43475

and the coolest kids had walkie talkies while riding their bikes, acting really big time.
View attachment 43476

After the 70's the bikes were ugly and forgettable. Never a nice bike made after the banana seat bikes and racers. BMX and mountain bikes etc = ugly

Next we talk about one of my favourite things, classic aussie holdens and fords. Cars had character back then.

I had a Malvern Star - not as cool as those 70s bikes.

But I also spent the 1990s fixing up a 1962 two-tone aqua blue Holden EK Special.

I was CEO of a small radical health service in the early 80s. We restricted smoking to 2 people in group meetings out of consideration for others. We were way ahead of the pack. I blush from embarrassment even now.
That was pretty radical back then. The smoking in the office and meetings was still in play in the late 1990s in the UK and I know Germany in the late 2000's. It was well gone here when I arrived.

of the many cars I’ve owned, two were ‘cool’. The first was a restored and gently warmed EK Special that started our very similar to this:

3293CE7D-CFC8-4787-B517-098EFCCB7A25.jpeg
8DD75F06-B4FD-48ED-962A-7FA15794BDFD.jpeg
7E77C3B0-71AD-42EC-AE7D-1B1209699728.jpeg

^^^

I always wanted an EK.

I loved all the old holdens, but l loved these ones in particular.

A lady l knew had one of these in the original showroom condition from 1968. She would park it in the garage everyday and it was still immaculate. It was a beautiful blue/green colour too (like the one below in the second pic). She only drove it 1 km to work and back for decades.
Holden 1.jpg

My all time favourites, the EH and EJ
Holden 9.jpg

Holden EJ.jpg Holden EH.jpg

Of course there is also the classic aussie HQ Kingswood. The biggest seller and as classic as it gets.
Holden 3.jpg
Holden 11.jpg

A 1971 HG Kingswood. A great car too.
Holden 8.jpg

A traditional family car:
Holden 4.jpeg

This is when cars were real cars. Lots of character. A man could identify all the cars in those days because each one was unique.

Last edited:
I met an old bloke the other day, he still had the original 1971 HG holden. It is the only car he has ever owned. 😍 Still in immaculate condition.

Hey babe, wanna come over for some Countdown and chill with my big screen TV?

878D4961-3DCC-4846-A57E-DA3CA7E0AF5B.jpeg

My first car was a 1976 Leyland Mini in canary yellow, that I painted black. 0.85l of power! 🤣

4EB179A0-0253-418E-9A08-1FB5F4AE6A15.jpeg

Yes, the charger had the most style, but l liked the ones that were shaped like a box with the bench seats. All the Italians used to drive them in Oz. Remember them?

Valiant 1.jpg Valient 2.jpg

Three on the tree and bench seats were ace for date nights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom