WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

that's snow drift.
you best me to it.

IMG_E3112.jpeg

Oh. I was already planning for a puffer for next winter (this one, has been colder than usual). This must certainly the best quality and price around.
you get quality construction made by one person using quality materials for the cost of a decent RTW jacket that is not as warm. with options to customize.

1706110083347.png

1706110383692.png

1706110561256.png

in November we had a cold snap and all my down mid layer type jackets are at least two sizes too big this winter.

Kluane Mountaineering is a Canadian world-leading custom down sleeping bag and jacket maker in Edmonchuk (Edmonton) that nobody has ever heard of. Huge in Japan by themselves plus they do collaborations with Japanese makers as well as other SWD brands like Monitaly. Made by one woman, Betty. I had her do an old school knit collar western yoke down vest for me a few years ago in 60/40 cloth.

View attachment 47642

It was ready to ship in 6 weeks as per usual. Picked it up at the post office today.

made to measure version of their down inner jacket. Modified chest, waist, front/back hem, and arm measurements. Spec'd a stand up full zip collar instead of the stock round one that leaves the neck exposed. Shirt tail hem instead of straight hem. front hem to just below the belt line with 2 inches longer on the ass end. down windflap behind zipper. bigger internal chest pocket with flap. baffled instead of stitch through construction to minimize down migration and cold spots. elastic wrist instead of velcro which work well over knit glove/mitt cuffs or under a gauntlet. down stuffed lovingly by hand.

1.4 oz/sq yd (47 gsm) coyote brown nylon outer (minimal sheen) with 1.1 oz/sq yd (37 gsm) nylon sage green lining with a bit more sheen but it's rarely seen. a thin and light enough outer to support maximum down loft but not ultralight and fragile. I dislike Moncler-style plastic shiny.

spec'd 8 ounces (227g) of 850+ Canadian Hutterite, humane, traceable down. 100% down, no feathers. should be good to -20C on its own and with layering it will work in much colder temps. this current down is closer to 900 fill power with super loft so it's warmer than most of the high end brand usual suspects like Arc’teryx, TNF, and Patagucci with lower down fill power, lower down weight fills, built somewhere in the world but not here, at a far higher price.

should be good to -20C on its own and with layering it will work in much colder temps.

all for $417 CDN (taxes in) = $310 USD = 285 EU = $470 AUD

Sorry about my awkward posture; I don't tilt that much IRL. I don't have a large enough mirror so I propped the phone on a shelf and was sliding back into place after snapping the pic with delay.

it's a puffer but minimal Michelin IMHO. Horses for courses. YMMV.

View attachment 47640

View attachment 47638

View attachment 47639

View attachment 47637

View attachment 47641
TiltDown Man!!!

Got some more Needles Japan. Quality is superb from the pieces I have purchased so far.
Needles, Nepenthes, EG, Sasquatchfabrix are owned by the same dude. All good quality. I still have an EG overcoat and flight jacket from 2007.

Completely forgot I ordered this after Xmas. Just something for around the house/ working outside in Winter. It’s a copy of the 1945 original.

IMG_4810.jpeg

Neck cord ruins it.
Did I read somewhere that this was a feature to get them in over a tin hat?
Utterly pointless now and so much better without. Otherwise decent looking!

Neck cord ruins it.
the boat neck sweater collar was introduced by the French navy in the 1850's. easier to get off if you go overboard. many regional UK and Irish fisherman sweaters featured boat necks and the Guernsey was first used before military-specific kit was issued. Some have boat necks without drawstrings. The boat neck did not last long being replaced by crew and v-neck versions and picking up the more recognizable heavier reinforcements and epaulets.

Neck cord ruins it.
maybe adapted for helmets, but the boat neck collar was introduced by the French navy in the 1850's. easier to get off if you go overboard. many regional UK and Irish fisherman sweater patterns featured boat necks and the Guernsey was first used before military-specific kit was issued. Some have boat necks (no drawstrings). The boat neck did not last long being replaced by crew and v-neck versions and picking up the more recognizable heavier reinforcements and epaulets.

maybe adapted for helmets, but the boat neck collar was introduced by the French navy in the 1850's. easier to get off if you go overboard. many regional UK and Irish fisherman sweater patterns featured boat necks and the Guernsey was first used before military-specific kit was issued. Some have boat necks (no drawstrings). The boat neck did not last long being replaced by crew and v-neck versions and picking up the more recognizable heavier reinforcements and epaulets.
Interesting - always enjoy stories of history / provenance.
If you went overboard the weight might pull you down but you might be better clothed than naked in the cold sea. I read somewhere that the stripes in matelot shirts were to make someone more visible if they fell in the drink, but of course these days you never know if such stories are true, loosely rooted in fact, or just completely made up to give current clothing a bit of gravitas by linking them to the past.

I am STRONGLY considering getting this shirt just to piss off the local band of anti-trans christians here:

5_a760958b-8979-4ec3-99df-e6e03679501b_1512x.png

I am STRONGLY considering getting this shirt just to piss off the local band of anti-trans christians here:

5_a760958b-8979-4ec3-99df-e6e03679501b_1512x.png

Wow, the thing that came to my mind related to this post are tailor shears.

I can send you some extra pair for your pns:

1713100944312.png

1713100918867.png

Pretty sure the doc had something like that when I got my vasectomy 🫣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom