What happened today that neither pissed you off nor made you happy but is nevertheless noteworthy?

He did a reading tour in the 1850s of the USA and Canada...it was a sensation.

He wasn't very complimentary about the States. This was just after or just before the release of Martin Chuzzlewit. IIRC.

Dickens had such fantastic names for his characters...LOL.

Thanksgiving conversation with my father in law after my wife starts talking about the ‘Rona and mentions my work. I tried to explain public health emergency management to him again and wasn’t getting anywhere. So I explained that I’d taken a few epi courses, but I’m not an epidemiologist. He said that’s a shame, those skin doctors earn a good living.

You do Thanksgiving????

He’s a yank now. Saving the lives of his fellow yanks in his adopted country. Besides you classify him as an Afrikaner based on where he is from down under.

You do Thanksgiving????

We always go to the in-laws to overeat lunch. It’s become one of my favorite holidays - no bullshit music, presents, or other crap. Just a four day weekend with an expectation that you will eat a lot of turkey.

We always go to the in-laws to overeat lunch. It’s become one of my favorite holidays - no bullshit music, presents, or other crap. Just a four day weekend with an expectation that you will eat a lot of turkey.
Oh yea sorry forgot

1606540152834.png

Just found out the janitor here worked for our Mexican subsidiary's call centre and was trained by one of my Canadian co-workers in Mexico.

What a small world.

Nothing like looking at a screen share with Office in Polish.

Nothing like looking at a screen share with Office in Polish.

We had the kids parents evening via a mixture of Teams and mobile telephone calls. It took place over 4 hours of intermittent calls.

Most of the teachers feigned bad connections so most of it was in Dutch with me sitting in silence like a wet lettuce.

I haven't been on a plane for almost a year now.

I don't think that has happened since ....

^ That's not only really odd, but it also shows a remarkable lack of understanding about what most women find appealing or arousing.

i found this subreddit randomly and, my god, this shit is some addictive reading

people are truly fucked up

I was listening to my usual management/career podcast yesterday during my coronavirus walk to nowhere.

The topic was about staying positive in these trying times. They offered some time honoured tips such as starting with a small task, checking it off and hopefully that snowballs into some momentum to get things done during the day.

Then they started talking about depression and futility and their suggestion was whatever you don't have control over then don't read it. The news media exists to dramatize and make you sad. For example, forget about reading the different strains, vaccines and outbreaks of coronavirus. Just figure out the restrictions where you live and that's it.

Don't try to read about the economy. You're not going to save the economy single handedly. The economy will do what the economy will do. Just conserve cash, stay employed and take care of yourself financially.

Don't read about politics especially if you have no stake or influence on it. If you aren't a voting US citizen, why read about American politics at all? It's an unnecessary weight on your mind and you start fretting and worrying for no reason.

Is that truly the solution and path to happiness? Ignorance is bliss? If I dig a hole and stick my ostrich head in there then all is right with the world?

I don't find the news depressing. Maybe it's because I grew up in a house where there was a lot of criticism I'm pretty numb to what people say. The news is just a page of words. It's like reading a book or watching a TV show.

I was listening to my usual management/career podcast yesterday during my coronavirus walk to nowhere.

The topic was about staying positive in these trying times. They offered some time honoured tips such as starting with a small task, checking it off and hopefully that snowballs into some momentum to get things done during the day.

Then they started talking about depression and futility and their suggestion was whatever you don't have control over then don't read it. The news media exists to dramatize and make you sad. For example, forget about reading the different strains, vaccines and outbreaks of coronavirus. Just figure out the restrictions where you live and that's it.

Don't try to read about the economy. You're not going to save the economy single handedly. The economy will do what the economy will do. Just conserve cash, stay employed and take care of yourself financially.

Don't read about politics especially if you have no stake or influence on it. If you aren't a voting US citizen, why read about American politics at all? It's an unnecessary weight on your mind and you start fretting and worrying for no reason.

Is that truly the solution and path to happiness? Ignorance is bliss? If I dig a hole and stick my ostrich head in there then all is right with the world?

The problem of course is that there's no kudos in positive news stories, plus most of the MSM is just toxic newspeak now.

People keep on telling me they've turned-off Sky News, CNN and the BBC News. And these are not people who tune into Paul Joseph Watson or the Styxx, these are individuals who are just switching off as they're had enough of the relentless 24 hour news cycle spewing fear and news readers with experts pulling contorted faces that's a cue for the right ordained emotional response in you, the viewer.

The mission is to immunize yourself from the propaganda and filter through the endless BS for the real situation.

The fact that New Zealand went on with the usual New Year’s celebrations means once the rest of us get vaccinated and all clear we will ditch our masks and resume life whether some unvaccinated innocent soul gets it or not.

The fact that New Zealand went on with the usual New Year’s celebrations means once the rest of us get vaccinated and all clear we will ditch our masks and resume life whether some unvaccinated innocent soul gets it or not.

Well, there are *no* coronavirus cases in New Zealand, hence there's no risk of catching it, regardless of whether one has been vaccinated or not. Perhaps that's why NZ went on "with the usual New Year's celebrations"?

Well, there are *no* coronavirus cases in New Zealand, hence there's no risk of catching it, regardless of whether one has been vaccinated or not. Perhaps that's why NZ went on "with the usual New Year's celebrations"?

And if I get the vaccine and finish my two shot or whatever shot cycle - I can happily breathe on the Indonesian natives in Bali and go carouse local entertainment and hospitality venues and laugh at the poor sobs who must suck through a straw with a mask on outdoors.

I'm just predicting future behaviour of have and have nots.

There was some UN or WHO or UN Health something person who said even if a nation is inoculated you must keep up measures until the 7.8bn people are.

There was some UN or WHO or UN Health something person who said even if a nation is inoculated you must keep up measures until the 7.8bn people are.

I'm almost 100% certain that countries like Australia and NZ will keep their borders closed for quite some time yet.

Last week an old friend posted that he was leaving Facebook. Something about Big Tech and some other far right talking points. A week later and he is still on there every day, ranting about why he is leaving.

Seems like the divorce left him in a bad place.

Last week an old friend posted that he was leaving Facebook. Something about Big Tech and some other far right talking points. A week later and he is still on there every day, ranting about why he is leaving.

I assume the divorce was more than a week old. Facebook does tend to present bad memories in its suggestions.

Haven’t really kept in touch the past couple of years, but I saw he got divorced and lost the house. We didn’t talk politics much, but he always seemed pretty sensible and widely read.

Anyway, I’m sure I will learn more about his emotional decline and new love for right wing politics over the coming weeks as he continues to tell everyone why he is leaving Facebook.

Facebook: the ugliest sycophancy known to man.

The up coming generation won't go near it.

No, they're all in to Instagram and Tik Tok - both of which are even more about being narcissistic and chasing "likes" than Facebook.

The best part about Instagram is there is a view of only your stuff which is where I am. I can track how many likes and comments I get. I rarely look at anyone else's stuff.

That's the most narcissistic part of it!!!

But I get happy when I am notified people like my stuff. It's an affirmation on me.

I get sad and depressed and delete the post if no one likes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom