You know you shouldn't: Confessionals of DW

seamless

I don't need a large thread to tell you what this is about. Here are mine!

I'm a 36R jacket and I wear 4.5 lapels on most of my bespoke stuff. I have a couple pairs of J&M. I hardly wear a tie with my suits. Normally its just a white french cuff shirt and a dark suit.

Here's my question. What do you do but you know you shouldn't?

I wear a royal oxford shirt with a tweed coat. I sometimes wear cheap button-downs with tiny collars with normal width ties. In winter, I'll wear chili shoes with a black car coat. That ~19 year old pair of burgundy corrected grain Bostonian bluchers still keep getting worn, often with a charcoal suit.

Looking to buy a Boglioli suit although I know the sleeve pitch needs to be altered a good half to three quarter inch.

I shop at Banana Republic for casual wear (my casual wardrobe is 50/50 BR and J Crew).

I wear spread collared shirts untucked with jeans.

I don't own any black oxfords.

I have no interest in ever owning a tuxedo. I'd rather just be improperly dressed at black/white tie events.

I don't own a black suit nor any suit that would pass traditional muster for a funeral. I generally just wear a navy suit, white shirt, and black tie and leave it at that.

Thinking of buying a linen suit for 80% off and having the shoulder pads removed.

Not something I do often, mind you. But it definitely happens at least 3-4 times a year. If I am not CM, I'm more than happy to be decently dressed by "pleb" standards. I have three OCBD's that generally get worn with jeans if I'm wearing long sleeves, but occasionally those are dirty or I just don't feel like wearing them and I'll throw on something else. Generally one of my two large scale checks.

---

One thing I'll never understand is the assumption that because I care a great deal about what I wear in a CM context, I must care a great deal about what I wear in all contexts (as opposed to caring a moderate amount). Or that I must be into grooming (I shave once a month, so I am in a permanent state of growing a beard; I never meaningfully comb my hair. I shower daily and keep my nails trimmed...that's as much as I'll care).

This is not an assumption I've ever encountered in DW. Just SF and occasionally RL.

Last edited:
One thing I'll never understand is the assumption that because I care a great deal about what I wear in a CM context, I must care a great deal about what I wear in all contexts (as opposed to caring a moderate amount). Or that I must be into grooming (I shave once a month, so I am in a permanent state of growing a beard; I never meaningfully come my hair).

I never meaningfully come my hair either. It happens from time to time obviously, but I never do it on purpose.

And since I'm assuming that's you in your avatar, might I say that your five o'clock shadow is intimidating and demands respect if not worship.

Because I have oily, fine but prolific and luxurious hair I have to shampoo it EVERY FUCKING DAY OF MY LIFE. It shits me to tears. I also have to comb and dry it everyday. I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo & Conditioner in big 1 litre pump action containers. I shave at least once a day. Often twice if going out at night.

I rarely wear shirts untucked. Only in summer when its HOT. And then they are all properly square cut at the bottom. I have them altered to be the right length. I only have about 6 suitable and I think from memory they are all Hawaiians - some tasty sedate (ish) and vintage.

I'm pretty fussy about what I wear - even at home alone. Except for footwear - I did have a pair of old black crocs for getting the paper in the morning or going out to the clothes line - until a visiting dog chewed them - working on a dirty building site I'll sometimes wear old square toed boots. But even in my "old" work clothes for dirty physical work - I wear old OCBDs shirt, old jeans, a genuine Bill Cunningham type French work jacket, in all modesty I look better than many blokes I know look when dressed up to go out or go to work in an office.

Yes. Isn't it common elsewhere? Very common here.

Perhaps we are still stuck on things "bringing me to my knees" and "moving heaven and earth". My personal favorite idiom that I was certain would become lingua franca was a Texan once saying "like stink on shit" when describing something that was too close. Never caught on, but I love it.

shits me to tears = I do not like that activity and find it extremely annoying, painful and wish I didn't have to do it.

shits me to tears = I do not like that activity and find it extremely annoying, painful and wish I didn't have to do it.

Oh OK, I didn't realise it meant more than boredom, I thought it was just boring to do it every day. You must hate shampoo - I wash my hair every day as well, can't say I mind much. Conditioner too.

Mind you, had the bathroom done last year, it's a really nice room now and I quite enjoy just being in there, so that helps.

Still can't think of the appropriate equivalent phrase.

I must say finding the Johnsons combined baby Shampoo & Conditioner was a great thing. I used to often just use conditioner most days to wash it. But from what I know baby shampoo + conditioner combined has less smells and harsh detergents in it.

don't tell thruth but I have always worn my hair longer than most people. When I was a almost hippy I used to have it halfway down my back. These days its more just sophisticated smart but louche Italian Industrialist long style. I used to look like Bryan Ferry a bit in face and hair colour /style. Now my face looks like I lived a harder rock dog lifestyle than Ferry - I doubt it but....

I used to imagine it was this:
SNF30FERRY-_1629531a.jpg

But now its more like this after my haircut this week. This is about the shortest I have it.
bryan_ferry.jpg

Or this perhaps:
B97392810Z.120141114170432000GJD7EDT2.11.jpg

Lately Ms fxh is telling me she wants me to "Get a haircut like George Gently". I'd like to have all that grey Gently has got but my colouring is almost identical to Ferry.

d0759859e5107cff48173b0e7a7c7524da5396cb.jpg
606092-george-gently.jpg

Last edited:
Because I have oily, fine but prolific and luxurious hair I have to shampoo it EVERY FUCKING DAY OF MY LIFE.

fxh fxh - Have you ever tried giving up shampoo and just washing your hair with warm water?

I stopped using shampoo and conditioner a few years back, and have never looked back. I found that, over the past decade or so, my hair had started feeling greasy more quickly and that I was having to wash it every day, otherwise it felt greasy and uncomfortable and looked bad. I then read about the "no poo" (ie no shampoo) movement and decided to try giving up shampoo. My hair felt a bit greasy for a week and then stabilised. Now I can go for a few days without washing my hair at all and, when I do wash it, I simply give it a good rinse under warm water when I'm having a shower.

It might not work for you, but it may well be worth giving it a try.

For years I've had people telling me the greasy Ratso look will dissipate if I stop. It looks so bad after a day or two I cant believe some miracle would happen on day 5 or something.Its not a bit greasey - it looks as if i'm a homeless guy who hasn't showered for a week and then slapped a tin of Brylcream on my hair. Plus it sticks up all crazy after sleeping on it

I condition my hair every other day with Dr bronners all natural conditioner, and wish it twice a week Dr bronners all natural soap. Perfect middle ground between no shampoo and shampoo everyday. My hair looks and feels awesome.

I shop at Banana Republic for casual wear (my casual wardrobe is 50/50 BR and J Crew).

I wear spread collared shirts untucked with jeans.

I don't own any black oxfords.

I have no interest in ever owning a tuxedo. I'd rather just be improperly dressed at black/white tie events.

I don't own a black suit nor any suit that would pass traditional muster for a funeral. I generally just wear a navy suit, white shirt, and black tie and leave it at that.

I have a black suit... it's been in the back of my closet for about two years... I've had it for two years. It was worn once in a emergency, lady spilt red wine on my tux the week or so before at a music event.

I have a black suit... it's been in the back of my closet for about two years... I've had it for two years. It was worn once in a emergency, lady spilt red wine on my tux the week or so before at a music event.

I was at a charity auction about a month ago, 400 or so people there... 1 guy in a tux. Looked so out of place it was sad.

I never wear a long sleeved collared shirt, without jacket, without rolling up the sleeves. Ever. As in it's been at least a decade if not more.

If for whatever reason I am wearing a tie and am forced to leave my jacket behind for anything more than an hour, I'll probably roll up my sleeves.

I must say finding the Johnsons combined baby Shampoo & Conditioner was a great thing. I used to often just use conditioner most days to wash it. But from what I know baby shampoo + conditioner combined has less smells and harsh detergents in it.

don't tell thruth but I have always worn my hair longer than most people. When I was a almost hippy I used to have it halfway down my back. These days its more just sophisticated smart but louche Italian Industrialist long style. I used to look like Bryan Ferry a bit in face and hair colour /style. Now my face looks like I lived a harder rock dog lifestyle than Ferry - I doubt it but....

I used to imagine it was this:
SNF30FERRY-_1629531a.jpg

But now its more like this after my haircut this week. This is about the shortest I have it.
bryan_ferry.jpg

Or this perhaps:
B97392810Z.120141114170432000GJD7EDT2.11.jpg

Lately Ms fxh is telling me she wants me to "Get a haircut like George Gently". I'd like to have all that grey Gently has got but my colouring is almost identical to Ferry.

d0759859e5107cff48173b0e7a7c7524da5396cb.jpg
606092-george-gently.jpg

I just want you to know that I burn with a deep and all-consuming envy of your hair.

For years I've had people telling me the greasy Ratso look will dissipate if I stop. It looks so bad after a day or two I cant believe some miracle would happen on day 5 or something.Its not a bit greasey - it looks as if i'm a homeless guy who hasn't showered for a week and then slapped a tin of Brylcream on my hair. Plus it sticks up all crazy after sleeping on it

I'm in the same boat, except where you hair is fine, mine is coarse. Dad, lots of fine hair, mom, lots of coarse hair = me, a metric shitload of coarse hair. Top it off I'm a human grease factory. The whole not shampooing thing doesn't stop my oily hair. Ironically though I don't shampoo my hair but once a week because I have built in pomade for styling.

Are not sleeping well? Low Interest? Are you guilty? Energy levels? Trouble concentrating? Low appetite? Any psychomotor symptoms? Do you wish to harm yourself?

Did you say yes to 5 out of 9 of these? Please act now.

Are not sleeping well? Low Interest? Are you guilty? Energy levels? Trouble concentrating? Low appetite? Any psychomotor symptoms? Do you wish to harm yourself?

Did you say yes to 5 out of 9 of these? Please act now.
Are you addressing me? Or spamming me?

Not at all. I could care less.

This is an expression that always confuses me. Surely, if you say that you could care less, that then means that you actually do care about something. The correct form would be to say, "I couldn't care less" because that then indicates that you don't care.

I'm going to buy a Stetson hat and hope the metal branding can be removed without damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom