Music Of The Moment

I have come to the conclusion that May is probably some very capable German lass who can sing in the accent of a bird from Harrow.

I have come to the conclusion that May is probably some very capable German lass who can sing in the accent of a bird from Harrow.

I do like those kitchen sink style songs. She reminds me of a younger female version of Baxter Dury.

I'm amazed at how irrelevant Peter Gabriel is to my playlists these days. But then again his missus is fighting cancer.

The video is dreadfully inauthentic, but take that away and it's aged rather well.

This was re-released yesterday:

At the time of the original release, a mucca of mine lent me the CD and told me ''Macca is back on form...'' Well, actually he was always on form. With McCartney's later solo stuff, it's not for instant gratification, you need to listen several times to start to get the depth of where he is at.

The Beatles are the perfect example of the saying: That the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I don't think any of them made a great album , or even a good one after they split.

The Beatles are the perfect example of the saying: That the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I don't think any of them made a great album , or even a good one after they split.

Macca's done a few good ones and maybe one great one with Wings which is Band On The Run. But his voice has gone now.
As too has Ringo and he was the first with a standards album way back in 1970.

The other two, some classic songs, but no album of substance.

lol how about Jimmy Page and Robert Plant's solo work and that brief reunion in 2001?

lol how about Jimmy Page and Robert Plant's solo work and that brief reunion in 2001?

I get what you're saying, the last album by Chris Rea is spot-on, as is Roger Daltrey's last one and also his album with Wilco Johnson. Of course, Neil Young is always there and Leonard Cohen shuffled-off with his best stuff in his later career, including live.

There's a lot of ageing rockers who are really delivering of late. I think it's great!

Pretty dreadful and Trudi looks her age.

Pimp’s 80s nostalgia is contagious.

At the time, and only until very recently because of connections that made me revisit them, I dismissed Sisters of Mercy as just some goth band. Turns out Andrew is much more interesting than that.

I like getting my ingrained musical prejudices challenged and changed: ''Oh they're utter crap and have been since 1980...oh wait...that's rather good indeed!''

Streaming is the key to this, as you can check out stuff you wouldn't historically buy the album for back in the CD, LP and cassette world.

I get what you're saying, the last album by Chris Rea is spot-on, as is Roger Daltrey's last one and also his album with Wilco Johnson. Of course, Neil Young is always there and Leonard Cohen shuffled-off with his best stuff in his later career, including live.

There's a lot of ageing rockers who are really delivering of late. I think it's great!

Pretty dreadful and Trudi looks her age.

At the time, and only until very recently because of connections that made me revisit them, I dismissed Sisters of Mercy as just some goth band. Turns out Andrew is much more interesting than that.

I like getting my ingrained musical prejudices challenged and changed: ''Oh they're utter crap and have been since 1980...oh wait...that's rather good indeed!''

Streaming is the key to this, as you can check out stuff you wouldn't historically buy the album for back in the CD, LP and cassette world.

You may be right about the old rockers delivering, but its against a pretty low bar.

Modern pop music is shite...

Modern pop music is shite...

Whilst it generally is, the problem is that you can only make money by touring now. So there's no incentive, or financial backing to spend six months in the recording studio. But to counter that, you can record a whole album in your back bedroom now as did Heaven 17, but be careful on the days the bin men arrive when you're recording.

Whilst it generally is, the problem is that you can only make money by touring now. So there's no incentive, or financial backing to spend six months in the recording studio. But to counter that, you can record a whole album in your back bedroom now as did Heaven 17, but be careful on the days the bin men arrive when you're recording.

Well that's another thing. Has modern technology, the ease of making recordings, necessarily made for better music?

Well that's another thing. Has modern technology, the ease of making recordings, necessarily made for better music?

The zeitgeist is no longer with pop or rock music. Whether the music is better or not, the impact and relevance is diminished.

From that perspective, it was all over by the mid-1990s.

There's tremendous pop/rock music out there, but as a mature art form, it looks increasingly like the big bands in the late 60s where there are diminishing returns and few new comers able to compete with an ever diminishing pool of established players.

What comes next? The alternatives so far, Grind, etc, sound like inferior art forms imitating American and Brazilian stuff which in the case of Brazil, were rejected by the mainstream. At least when I was there.

The zeitgeist is no longer with pop or rock music. Whether the music is better or not, the impact and relevance is diminished.

From that perspective, it was all over by the mid-1990s.

There's tremendous pop/rock music out there, but as a mature art form, it looks increasingly like the big bands in the late 60s where there are diminishing returns and few new comers able to compete with an ever diminishing pool of established players.

What comes next? The alternatives so far, Grind, etc, sound like inferior art forms imitating American and Brazilian stuff which in the case of Brazil, were rejected by the mainstream. At least when I was there.
I read Brazil and thought of the 1985 film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom