Music Of The Moment

This sort of thing?

I would not pay too much attention to Urban Gentry though.

Anything by Donna Summer when she was the queen of extended disco is good, before she reinvented herself as a pop singer.

The Urban Gentry was onto something though, we need heroic archetypes again. Not inversions of the type, as we recently have with the new improved, bisexual superman.

London Town is getting a reissue in the ongoing Paul McCartney Archive series. About time too, it's a good album by Wings.

Some songs not only immediately break through and capture at the first listen but even manage to do the same years/decades later after repeated listens and in vastly different times

Here in Oz

There's nothing more dispiriting and incline one to give up on life and start wearing closed laced dress shoes with jeans or wonder if "fun" socks might be an idea or even contemplate wearing leather dress shoes sans socks and perhaps jazz up the jeans and shoes with a band T shirt and old suit coat, than a 70s rock star doing a tour years later and playing to fucking boomers who sing along to "all the hits". Worse even if said rock star trys to still be cool with dyed hair and skinny black jeans on chicken legs under a pot belly and receding hairline.

But here's Harley on RockKwiz - in 2017 - 42 years (?) after the hit - making it come alive with at least as much impact and arguably a better more mature interpretation and looking like a normal person - someone's well preserved neighbour and a perhaps even a grandpa ---- and ----delivering the goods. It doesn't hurt that the RockKwiz House Band is always superb.

Good one Steve. Big Thanks.

Reasons to be cheerful - 1, 2 3.....

Not really into industrial stuff, but when Ministry’s tour promoter asked us to set up a vaccine both at their show which was pretty cool. They ended up rescheduling the tour till Match next year.

There's nothing more dispiriting and incline one to give up on life and start wearing closed laced dress shoes with jeans or wonder if "fun" socks might be an idea or even contemplate wearing leather dress shoes sans socks and perhaps jazz up the jeans and shoes with a band T shirt and old suit coat, than a 70s rock star doing a tour years later and playing to fucking boomers who sing along to "all the hits". Worse even if said rock star trys to still be cool with dyed hair and skinny black jeans on chicken legs under a pot belly and receding hairline.

But here's Harley on RockKwiz - in 2017 - 42 years (?) after the hit - making it come alive with at least as much impact and arguably a better more mature interpretation and looking like a normal person - someone's well preserved neighbour and a perhaps even a grandpa ---- and ----delivering the goods. It doesn't hurt that the RockKwiz House Band is always superb.

Good one Steve. Big Thanks.

Reasons to be cheerful - 1, 2 3.....
Ya mean like The Rolling Bones...?

Ya mean like The Rolling Bones...?
Ronnie Wood looks dreadful in his outfits - Keith seems to work - because - well its Keith - Charlie always looked dignified and surprisingly Mick at 92 or whatever he is looks alright.

Can relate...

He's like an English Leonard Cohen, in a way. His recent(ish) Christmas album is genius and the new EP's are good.

Other that Elvis Costello who never fails to bore me with his overly intelligent and thought out music now, I'm much more interested in what musicians are doing in the here and now than past classics. As an example, the stuff that Ringo Starr has been putting out in the last 5 years and even 12-18 months, interests me. Some of it over produced, autotune set to maximum, but there's one or two good songs in each release. And that guy's in his eighties. Think that's great. Same with Macca, loads of shite, but always one or two good tracks. Paul Weller, not really interested in The Jam anymore, I like what he's doing now.

That song by Nick Lowe there's story behind. In an interview he relates how he was back in the UK after his failed marriage to Carlene Carter, he was on the bones of his arse in his semi-detached house and then out of the blue a cheque arrived for the Bodyguard soundtrack for What's So Funny About for around a million and a half. I believe it wasn't even used in the film(?), but it was on the soundtrack. And that's where the royalties came from.

Last edited:
He's like an English Leonard Cohen, in a way. His recent(ish) Christmas album is genius and the new EP's are good.

Other that Elvis Costello who never fails to bore me with his overly intelligent and thought out music now, I'm much more interested in what musicians are doing in the here and now than past classics. As an example, the stuff that Ringo Starr has been putting out in the last 5 years and even 12-18 months, interests me. Some of it over produced, autotune set to maximum, but there's one or two good songs in each release. And that guy's in his eighties. Think that's great. Same with Macca, loads of shite, but always one or two good tracks. Paul Weller, not really interested in The Jam anymore, I like what he's doing now.

That song by Nick Lowe there's story behind. In an interview he relates how he was back in the UK after his failed marriage to Carlene Carter, he was on the bones of his arse in his semi-detached house and then out of the blue a cheque arrived for the Bodyguard soundtrack for What's So Funny About for around a million and a half. I believe it wasn't even used in the film(?), but it was on the soundtrack. And that's where the royalties came from.

The Convincer is 20 years old. That sat me on my arse for a moment. Love the bloke, so full of stories and good humour. The one he tells about playing The Beast in Me to Johnny Cash the first time is great.

Here's another cracker from the album. He says Chrissie Hynde saved him from over producing it when they were recording it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom