StyleForum - Behind the Veil: Money, Politics & Bullshit

They do but that still costs plenty of money and not just time. All those bespoke suits and shoes aren't cheap as you'd know. I suspect that like me most of their business comes from their home country and the extra from Sf is a good bonus

They don't have that much bespoke. I think they each have 2 bespoke suits and the rest is suitsupply. They just wear the same stuff over and over again with a different tie. Takes maybe 15 minutes a day to get some good pics.

They don't have that much bespoke. I think they each have 2 bespoke suits and the rest is suitsupply. They just wear the same stuff over and over again with a different tie. Takes maybe 15 minutes a day to get some good pics.

they have much more bespoke. but probably they get friendcustomer prices or things are bring paid for by their sugardaddy

you saw their florentine mbt cisternino was also discovered by WeakMonday WeakMonday ?

Banned? What for?

For disrespecting the mispelling StyleForm Robot; for using humour and sarcasm; for not praying at the Eidos altar; for not including i kopped, where to kop, just kopped, thinking of pulling the trigger; and for referring to a drug other than those supplied by AV's

Oh, and for not signing on to the special run of 38 g (sic) W Bill green linen. 38 gram, hm, that is some really lightweight linen, no?

With all that AV and ad revenue you would think SF could build a better robot

For disrespecting the mispelling StyleForm Robot; for using humour and sarcasm; for not praying at the Eidos altar; for not including i kopped, where to kop, just kopped, thinking of pulling the trigger; and for referring to a drug other than those supplied by AV's

Oh, and for not signing on to the special run of 38 g (sic) W Bill green linen. 38 gram, hm, that is some really lightweight linen, no?

With all that AV and ad revenue you would think SF could build a better robot

Oh, that. I'd forgotten I posted that, I probably drunk at the time.

I thought Monkeyface was referring to something I posted here, and was warning that I might get banned from this forum. If that was the case, I'd alter my behaviour, as I do not want to be banned from here. If it's a case of getting banned from SF, with the best will in the world, and try as I might, I just don't give a fuck.

In any case, that robot post was begging to be trolled.

Oh, that. I'd forgotten I posted that, I probably drunk at the time.

I thought Monkeyface was referring to something I posted here, and was warning that I might get banned from this forum. If that was the case, I'd alter my behaviour, as I do not want to be banned from here. If it's a case of getting banned from SF, with the best will in the world, and try as I might, I just don't give a fuck.

In any case, that robot post was begging to be trolled.

Meant your post on SF

Although if it was me owning SF I'd work closely with AVs to help them get it right - or at least a bit righter.

This would be nice. And not just because I would absolutely volunteer to help. It would benefit everyone, I think. AV's would be able to stick around longer, which helps both them and SF. And AV offerings would be a bit more targeted to SF taste (and we'd avoid what happened with Mauro's foray into CM, a huge shame given the quality of his wares).

From SF's PoV, this might be more effort than it is worth, though. Not sure how large an impact this would have on the bottom line. I don't know. Might be something worth asking Fok. I think he mentioned once that they do offer this sort of consulting service but that few people generally take advantage of it. Perhaps it is too expensive or perhaps these people are overconfident in their product (the latter is definitely the case). Maybe both.

LA Guy

Just fwiw, the forum, in June alone, sent our editor-in-chief to Japan, where he gathered tons of material for upcoming newsletters as well as a really entertaining travelogue. He also paid a nominal sum for his guide and translator. We also paid for expenses for coverage of Pitti, and I went to Victoria to get photos for a story and to make sure that we would continue to work with Viberg, which is a highly sought after boot company with whom we are privileged to work (they turn away tons of clients.)

That's not including salaries for us, for our sales and account management team, nor hosting and technical services.

Just so that you know that a lot goes on under the hood. Obviously, you don't like the way the AE ads were presented, and that represents a failing on both the part of AE and Styleforum. But advertising does ensure that this place stays around and that we get to continue to do cool things.

I think that you may have misunderstood me. I went to Victoria and Vancouver for work. Our guys in Pitti had fun, but it's still work. Our editor-in-chief went to Japan, and it seems like he had fun, but it's still work. I would not have greenlighted any of these costly projects just so that people can have fun, though we certainly hope that people had fun. It's easier to get people to do fulfilling, enjoyable work. I greenlighted them because they allow us to create great content - both qualitative and quantitative metrics indicate that our members and more casual readers appreciate our efforts - and to stay relevant today and tomorrow.

So, and again, being perfectly transparent, we have AE as a big client because the ads work, and there are a ton of Allen Edmond fans on the site. For banner ads, we sell them directly, or use the top ranked ad networks. The "remnant" we fill with adsense, which does NOT have the highest payout, but is known in the industry to have the best filters (even they get spoofed sometimes, but they want to only take high quality ads). I'm answering questions and addressing issues here because you guys represent an important fraction of our core members, and I want you to have as much of an understanding of how this stuff works as possible. I will say one last thing, which is that online ads, even good ones, pay a fraction of what print ads use to pay. So even a large site like ours can only afford a small staff.

I actually put up a post about the very large, overly invasive Allen-Edmonds ads in the "Site Topics" thread on SF, only for it to be entirely ignored. It's interesting that LA Guy addressed the issue in the Noodles Good Advice thread instead of in the Site Topics thread.

As far as I can remember, that's actually not the first time that SF has had the A-E wall-to-wall ads all over the site, either, and the last time they had them, a year or two back, there were complaints, too.

I wonder how SF would fare if everyone started using Adblocker or a similar browser plug-in? Can website managers tell if you're browsing their site using an ad-free plug-in? If so, and if lots of people were using such software, it would a) indicate that people aren't happy with the amount/size of the ads and b) mean that no-one is seeing the ads on the site which would then reduce the amount that advertisers would be willing to pay because, after all, why pay for ads when no-one sees them?

Yes, they can.

So when a site manager says, "Oh, we had 1 million visitors and 12 million pageviews last month", they may be telling the overall truth, but they may also be withholding the fact that (as a theoretical example) 500 000 of those visitors were using ad-blocking software and so did not see any of the advertising on the website?

So when a site manager says, "Oh, we had 1 million visitors and 12 million pageviews last month", they may be telling the overall truth, but they may also be withholding the fact that (as a theoretical example) 500 000 of those visitors were using ad-blocking software and so did not see any of the advertising on the website?
Well its theoretically possible, depending on the type of monitoring that Huddler and SF have setup. I honestly doubt that they have such granularity in their system diagnostics though. Its a hard thing to trace. You could also have an adblocker running but only block certain elements, like the Allen Edmonds ad that recently took up the whole god damn screen.. Site operators are always one step behind the users on this.

As Mr. R. Ambo says website metrics are a science-y dashboard layered over a lot of bullshit. Or a lot of "quantifiable" stuff that no one can tell you much about. Or they could but its not often asked in a proper way. No one wants to spend time or thought.

F'rinstance - what exactly is a visitor/ a page view - what does it mean?

So you have a 500,000 likes on your companies facebook - run by your "new media" agency - they will tout it as brilliant - exciting - growth - brand awareness. But wtf does a like mean? Was it done by a bot or a few blokes in Pakistan clicking on stuff for $10 a day whose English isn't all that bad. A few thousand 13 year old girls who like your graphics but wont be buying mens braces at anytime soon.

I open my browser at 7 am in the morning - open 40 tabs on different pages automatically from when I shut down last night. I check my mail and leave for the day. I leave PC on and all tabs open - I'm counted as a very sticky (sticky = good) viewer as I apparently spend hours on your pages/site. I go to work and open the browser different IP, different browser, different cookies, login etc. I spend 5 minutes looking at something I eventually buy from the bricks and mortar store on my way home.

How do web metrics catch all this - answer they don't.

If you accept its a broad brush and use other methods to drill down you can know a lot of stuff - most people don't know enough to drill down sensibly - they don't know what they don't know.

I will say one last thing, which is that online ads, even good ones, pay a fraction of what print ads use to pay. So even a large site like ours can only afford a small staff.

There's so much advertising saturation now everywhere, it's crazy. Obviously we need some, but the current level just doesn't make sense.

No wonder prices have fallen.

EDIT: This is not about SF, I meant the world in general.

Last edited:
Let's see. Salaries? Check. Trips to Pitti to snap photos and little else? Check. Investing in making the B&S a better forum? Nope.

#1451 of 1462a day ago
wklq76a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0

Being able to filter by type, brand, and size would have gone a long way towards that goal I think.
-----------
FWIW, this has been brought up before. Fok said that implementing such changes would require significant investments, since they'd have to rebuild many parts of the vBulletin system, which is just an off-the-shelf product. I'm probably getting some terminology wrong but you get the gist.

It's about getting the traffic up and high profile silly. Members trading stuff is tacky if you want new stuff from advertisers to sell. That's why some brands will buy back their used stuff- to keep it off the market.

Being able to search by a few criteria or tags is trivial database stuff.

It's about getting the traffic up and high profile silly. Members trading stuff is tacky if you want new stuff from advertisers to sell. That's why some brands will buy back their used stuff- to keep it off the market.

This is interesting but are you sure crapmani or other buys all their Ebay stuff?

Much braying and gnashing of teeth about the new site redesign in Site Topics. So sorry you cunts can't get a properly functioning floating navigation bar like we have. And almost a year after the fact as well.

Site Topics - Part II - Page 1015

This is gold

LL

Those breadcrumbs are dead links. What a bunch of bums.

Much braying and gnashing of teeth about the new site redesign in Site Topics. So sorry you cunts can't get a properly functioning floating navigation bar like we have. And almost a year after the fact as well.

Site Topics - Part II - Page 1015

This is gold

LL

Those breadcrumbs are dead links. What a bunch of bums.

It is more important to travel to meet with Viberg for SF MTO boot designing

so what is the deal here? in Fok's post about the jacket there are those random links that take you to some e-commerce store like ebay and Cabela's

Monitaly collaboration with Styleforum - the murdered out Mountain Parka and Six-pocket pants.

Made of vintage military tents. Overdyed black and sewn using black thread. Both piece will be on preorder soon. This is an exclusive that Monitaly developed for us. We started talking about it last year, hammered out ideas at Pitti Uomo in January, and have spent the last few months getting the pieces just right. You'll never see them at a regular retailer. You'll never see them on sale. They will be available via styleforummarket.com, our little project to bring you cool projects like this and our Viberg for Styleforum makeups. Yes, these are cool. My mind is already blown, but I'm anxious to see how awesome they will look when @spacepope and @Synthese get their hands on them (after I do measurements), and style them in the mountains of Colorado.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom