The pledge of allegiance

InstaHate

Since this seems to be the place for things remotely political.

Does anyone else find the fact that our kids take loyalty oaths every morning for most of their childhood batfuck crazy? Do other non-authoritarian governments still do this? This seems like something China or North Korea does.

Countries should earn the loyalty of their citizens. While I don't think it has any real effect and is just a symbolic ritual, it is one that I always found downright creepy. Millions of kids across the nation making a loyalty oath, in unison, to an idea they are too young to comprehend.

OfficePants OfficePants you're skeptical of government. Thoughts?

Since this seems to be the place for things remotely political.

Does anyone else find the fact that our kids take loyalty oaths every morning for most of their childhood batfuck crazy? Do other non-authoritarian governments still do this? This seems like something China or North Korea does.

Countries should earn the loyalty of their citizens. While I don't think it has any real effect and is just a symbolic ritual, it is one that I always found downright creepy. Millions of kids across the nation making a loyalty oath, in unison, to an idea they are too young to comprehend.

OfficePants OfficePants you're skeptical of government. Thoughts?

It's absolutely insane, just like the national anthem being played at the beginning of sporting events. Bowing down to the state is always bad news.

An amusing, not-too-well-known fact about the Pledge of Allegiance is that school children performed it giving a stiff-armed, fascist-style salute to the flag. The practice was discontinued shortly after America's entry into WWII.

I always thought the insertion of the phrase "under God" was an intrusive bit of Cold War bravado under the Eisenhower administration--I am sure to contrast us with godless commies. Aside from the fact that it amounts to a state-imposed sanctioning of monotheistic belief as a criterion of loyalty, from a Biblical point of view it is quite ridiculous since all nations are "under God," and He raises them up and casts them down at His pleasure.

Of course, many children will mischievously alter the pledge as they recite it, e.g., "united snakes of America."

A forced loyalty oath is not just meaningless, non-binding and insulting. It devalues the voluntary pledge of loyalty that so many people make each day.

Of course, many children will mischievously alter the pledge as they recite it, e.g., "united snakes of America."

At my school chapel service each week, we had to sing Thine Be the Glory which contains "risen conquering son", which we would change to "risen concrete sun", much to the annoyance of the chaplain and headmaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom