- Messages
- 40,417
i know you just want to fire everyone and be able to work them to death whenever you want.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
i know you just want to fire everyone and be able to work them to death whenever you want.
i know you just want to fire everyone and be able to work them to death whenever you want.
i know you just want to fire everyone and be able to work them to death whenever you want.
80% is definitely a low estimate.i'm not up to date on the current statistics but i do not believe it was quite that high. regardless, proper labor laws and rights would put a big dent in this. if we enforced a 36 hour work week and got rid of overtime (or at least made it less profitable for employers) people would have to have living wages instead of being worked like dogs.
Can I upload PDFs on this platform?
i'm sure the forum will give me a hefty retirement package.Not everyone, just you.
yes and no. overtime is horrendous but its cheaper than hiring a new person and paying them benefits. i suspect when the new labor law gets put into place we'll see employers just bump people's salaries over the threshold then continue to work them like dogs. there's also a better than average chance the rule will get thrown out soon if trump's people have their way with it.No, I'd much rather keep them long term. I just saved one of my guys cars from getting repo'd this week alone to help out. I give more interest free loans the Bank of freaking America.
The funny part is you guys are your grand employment theories gleaned from ZeroHedge, Ian Whatshisface, et al. Overtime is wildly unprofitable, only a complete loon would argue otherwise. It's why they just made a floor on who can be on salary, specifically to keep people from being worked to death.
yep80% is definitely a low estimate.
A good (though not peer reviewed) overview of the topic, light on econometrics, and not behind a paywall:
http://conexus.cberdata.org/files/MfgReality.pdf
On mobile, but next time I'm at a computer, I can grab some of the harder stuff. Can I upload PDFs on this platform?
i'm sure the forum will give me a hefty retirement package.
yes and no. overtime is horrendous but its cheaper than hiring a new person and paying them benefits. i suspect when the new labor law gets put into place we'll see employers just bump people's salaries over the threshold then continue to work them like dogs. there's also a better than average chance the rule will get thrown out soon if trump's people have their way with it.
yep
stupid morality of mineWhy don't you sell the forum to huddler and nomanwalksalone?
Again, protectionism, which I may favor when done correctly, is a short term solution, but it doesn't address the fact that 80% of the job loss in manufacturing (on the low end) has occurred as a result of increased productivity of capital and not jobs going overseas. This isn't to say that protectionism won't lessen the sting or provide us time to figure out how to adjust as this trend continues, but that this is regularly ignored by Trump in favor of the much easier target of overseas job loss is yet another reason why I think Trump is a self-aggrandizing, populist politician no different than most others. You could argue that the overseas job loss is something which can be addressed in the short term, and thus is his focus. That makes sense to me, but it doesn't explain why a politician concerned with job loss in the manufacturing sector doesn't even attempt to address the larger problem.
And second, why hasn't this happened to Germany and Japan? If they also suffer from productivity, then why aren't they gutted like the US is?
How does such a number get calculated? It seems almost impossible to quantify something like that. I'm not trying to shit on the figure you present to dispel the argument, but it seems like a number chucked around by globalists.
I guess my argument would be two fold... wouldn't this 80% number be true for the rest of the world? Or at least some variant of it?
And second, why hasn't this happened to Germany and Japan? If they also suffer from productivity, then why aren't they gutted like the US is? It doesn't add up.
Can't speak for Japan, but Germany is gutted. Pay rises way behind inflation, millions of people on benefits despite having a full time job.
The few people in manufacturing jobs agreed to income freezes to keep their jobs. Besides cars and special machinery (the latter will soon be made in China) there isn't really a lot that's made in Germany.
The former large textile sector (from RTW to bespoke, from yarn making to weaving) was destroyed decades ago and the jobs got moved elsewhere, most likely supported by the EU.
The only stuff made in Germany is high end (like tools that last a lifetime and don't break into pieces when you use them), everything else is cheap crap, ranging from clothes to items for your daily life.
High streets in Germany are just the same in every town or city. Brand stores, phone shops and lots of bakeries full with older and/ or obese folk. For some strange reason we have a lot of hair dressers, who seem to do only the lesbian hair cut.
Short, asymmetrical with dyed ends. And of course coffee shops, lots of coffee shops.
Germany has a strong export, but that is due to cars, machinery and pharmaceuticals/ chemical compounds. All high price goods that outweigh the cheap shit we import.
The government has rigged the system, so that the Jobcentre™ gets lower unemployment numbers. It's just putting unemployed people in different categories.
Not to mention that Germany suffers from a crushing debt, like the rest of the Western world.
Should the ratings change it would all be over soon.

From my understanding, the US is not alone in manufacturing job loss. Most countries with high wages and a largish manufacturing sector are dealing with it. In addition, many recently developed countries experienced most of their growth via capital intensive manufacturing as opposed to labor intensive manufacturing, so employment in their manufacturing sectors is being crunched less.
On a related note, there was a recent PWC report looking at automation--one important element of the increased efficiency of capital--and different sectors of in the British economy. The breakdown is interesting. It was also poorly interpreted by a bunch of headlines. The report, for example, stated that 44.8% (or something) of manufacturing jobs are at risk for automation in the next 15 years. A headline reporting this: 45% of UK manufacturing jobs will disappear in 15 years! Anyway, it goes into pink and white collar sectors too.
http://www.pwc.co.uk/economic-services/ukeo/pwc-uk-economic-outlook-full-report-march-2017-v2.pdf
A quick summary:
http://pwc.blogs.com/press_room/201...-by-early-2030s-but-this-should-be-offse.html
It doesn't happen as much in places like China and India because of how low wages are, so the capital-labor trade off is less an issue.
The report I linked is from 2010 and does a great job explaining how it is calculated without delving into econometrics. While I was an economist at a public research institute for a spell, some of the econometrics in the real work is probably above me (especially as I've not been in the field for a while and have forgotten quite a bit). Regardless, this has been happening for a long time, long before people were up in arms about the losses to the manufacturing sector. This doesn't mean that losing jobs overseas isn't an issue. It just means that we are avoiding or ignoring the real cause for the sake of populism (Trump and Sanders both).
I'll see if I can upload some journal articles from the 90s as well.
I import lots of stuff from Germany, for example Faber Castel. Pencils aren't exactly high end.
Compared to the cheap shit coming from Chinese factories they are.
I do believe automation is going to destroy jobs. Especially driving trucks. 15 years seems optimistic.
i have not brought them up as i know they have many issues over there. in fact, i was going to point out that japan would have been much better off not selling out and opening up. the made in japan logo could be worth a whole lot more now as a sign of superior quality.5-10 years max.
ETA: Japan has been fucking moribund for twenty years. Anyone using Japan as an example of what to do is a waterhead. ExceptGrand Potentate
The Inevitable Labor Tightening is Comingi have not brought them up as i know they have many issues over there. in fact, i was going to point out that japan would have been much better off not selling out and opening up. the made in japan logo could be worth a whole lot more now as a sign of superior quality.
Just to be clear, automation isn't the only way in which capital kills jobs. Any capital which increases labor productivity (like a lot of IT, for example) will also kill jobs in that industry because firms can reach the same level of output with fewer workers.I do believe automation is going to destroy jobs. Especially driving trucks. 15 years seems optimistic..
Which is why you go straight to the PhD's themselves. I don't know how many econ PhD's you know, but I know a lot. Different department from me, but there are a few I regularly have lunch with, and none of them have mentioned being a globalist stooge (to be fair, I haven't asked them, and even if I did, they'd probably not tell me). The one thing that academics, particularly economists, love as much as getting published is finding flaws in the methodologies of other papers (quis custodiet ipsos custodes?). There is a much stronger incentive system in place to ensure methodological rigor in economic academia than there is in, say, economists affiliated with banks or political entities.But I'm not seeing where this 80% number is coming from. Sounds like globalists hiding behind the skirts of PhDs.
i have not brought them up as i know they have many issues over there. in fact, i was going to point out that japan would have been much better off not selling out and opening up. the made in japan logo could be worth a whole lot more now as a sign of superior quality.
Just to be clear, automation isn't the only way in which capital kills jobs. Any capital which increases labor productivity (like a lot of IT, for example) will also kill jobs in that industry because firms can reach the same level of output with fewer workers.
(to be fair, I haven't asked them, and even if I did, they'd probably not tell me).
My point is that I don't need to ask them. I can just look at their data and methods.
It has happened in Germany. And like in the United States, it accounts for about 20% of the job loss in manufacturing.
https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/18048/1/dp313.pdf
20% is still a lot of jobs, and a lot of lives, and it doesn't make Bernie or Don wrong when they say outsourcing and free trade has cost them jobs.
Meanwhile, the leaks keep coming:
Jared Kushner is a "person of interest" in the Russia probe.
Trump to Russians during their meeting:
“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job."
“I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”
More bullshit anonymous quotes.
Trump says dumb things, stop the presses. Nothing illegal.
Next.
Except it will push things forward with respect to investigations and prevent accomplishing things
And my point is that data and methods are like the media choosing to report selective facts. My ex wife is a PhD, I can tell you from experience that many of these over educated people start with a conclusion and wrap data and methods around them to suit the narrative.
What crime was committed? Dershowitz shows why this is stupid. More smart people please, ones that don't make dumb twitter jokes, or are named Maxine.
Isn't the more likely scenario simply that increases in labor productivity has led to massive job loss (as opposed to an entire field having such a strong bias towards globalism that they've been perpetuating this for close to a hundred years...I am recalling a major dissertation written in the early 30s on the topic...if not all the way to Marx, who argued that firms will always invest in capital to save on labor).
...
This is not to say the tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of jobs haven't gone overseas over the last several decades. It's just that even more jobs have been lost because they were rendered unnecessary or inefficient by capital.
Though you know, I've never asked. Why do you think this isn't the case?
I think both are true. But there is a body of people out there that want to minimize the impact of the pick up and move to a cheaper country that started in the 80s. They are the ones backed by money that wants global corporatized government, and so I am very skeptical.
My eyes tell me that factories everywhere in the US have shifted production overseas. I just think this reality is minimized because it makes a lot of people look bad, so we get a lot of studies with big words, graphs and formulas.
Crime/no crime. That is not the point. It erodes credibility. He is not smart enough to overcome the ever-increasing doubt. Pushes him further into lame duck territory.
Lol because your eyes are on all factories in the US? All bow to the all-knowingOfficePants .