Agreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

Except he is Japanese.

I watched a whole Film4 Kurosawa season, ‘working from home’. At least I was not on the golf course.

Toshiro is the man.

But I have to say my favourite was probably ’Ikiru’ about the terminally-ill salaryman, reflecting on his life and Toshiro was not in that one. Toshiro was always cast as the samurai hero figure.
This isn’t BBC, this is DW. East Asians wearing clothes of agreeable or disagreeable interest are chinafriends. Not all chinafriends are Chinese, and it is a bit racist to suggest that they should be.

Mifune is indeed the man though. And Kurosawa is amazing.

tumblr_of6ps7j8Gl1uqpqiwo1_1280.jpg

Nah. More precious than Hardy Amies.
Clearly you haven't watched the movie. The diegetic point is quite the opposite. At any rate, the disjunction of the signature purple pyjama and the waist coast, tweed jacket, neckerchief combo certainly makes the outfit agreeable in its particular context.

Is it something to be reproduced? Evidently not. But then again how many of us can aspire to have an ounce of DD-L's charisma in, and out of, character? Selbstverständlich kein Untermensch.

Last edited:
Day-Lewis, I find, difficult to watch (along with De Niro, Pacino, Walken and a few others). They only seem to have one setting.
Yup.
The worst thing that happened to Pacino was being successful in ‘Scarface’.

Since then it seemed to give him licence to move from a subtle and understated actor to a scenery chewing ham. Just look at the difference between him in Godfather 1 and 2 (cold, calculating, dispassionate, ruthless) and 3 with him gurning, screeching, gesturing, hamming it up.

The ridiculous lengths that Day-Lewis appears to have to go to just to get in character are laughable. As Olivier supposedly said to Hoffman ‘why don’t you try acting, dear boy?’

Yup.
The worst thing that happened to Pacino was being successful in ‘Scarface’.

Since then it seemed to give him licence to move from a subtle and understated actor to a scenery chewing ham. Just look at the difference between him in Godfather 1 and 2 (cold, calculating, dispassionate, ruthless) and 3 with him gurning, screeching, gesturing, hamming it up.

The ridiculous lengths that Day-Lewis appears to have to go to just to get in character are laughable. As Olivier supposedly said to Hoffman ‘why don’t you try acting, dear boy?’

Funnily enough, I was thinking of Olivier's dig when I read your post. I believe Hoffman was the basis for DeVito's character in Get Shorty.

Nicholson maybe a candidate too, especially as he's got older, but Nicholson's theatrics are tempered a little by his charisma I think.

For me, Oldman is probably the finest actor at the moment.

Well it would be much better without the cigs, of which he smoked two packs a day and caused him to die of throat cancer.

But apart from that ...

The worst thing Pacino did was a film about Richard 111. I foolishly went to see this. I assume it was an indulgence by his studio at the time.

There's a exhibition in Madrid about the painter and clothing nerd Joaquin Sorolla, which mixes his paintings and some pieces of his wardrobe.

This suit was commissioned around 1915. Interesting to see the one button configuration and what seems shirt sleeve.

img_edefrutos_20180212-125323_imagenes_lv_propias_edefrutos_sorolla_y_la_moda_7-kWEE-U4420336662482dD-992x558@LaVanguardia-Web.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom