Agreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

‘To Sir With Love’

(Nice theme tune by Lulu)
Not seen it in a while, but the character was pretty well developed, more so than what would normally be associated with the magic negro trope. Also, isn’t the majority of the story focused on the students resisting his attempts to help them? This would be opposed to one of the defining features of the trope, that the white leads take the fact that the black character is there to help them for granted. Their existence in the context is taken for granted as well.

Not seen it in a while, but the character was pretty well developed, more so than what would normally be associated with the magic negro trope. Also, isn’t the majority of the story focused on the students resisting his attempts to help them? This would be opposed to one of the defining features of the trope, that the white leads take the fact that the black character is there to help them for granted. Their existence in the context is taken for granted as well.

"Recruiting a SLEW of young, insecure men." I'm not touching anything here with a bargepole.

"Recruiting a SLEW of young, insecure men." I'm not touching anything here with a bargepole.
Are you otherwise inclined to touch slews of young insecure men with poles? O_o

No judgment mind you. I’m all for touching groups of young, insecure individuals of legal age of consent.

"Slew" is a clever person's word.

Exactly - and we all know that you can't trust clever people.

Even Shakespeare knew that: “Let me have men about me that are fat... Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.

A great Austrian.
Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 02.28.51.JPG
Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 02.30.08.JPG

Whilst visiting Woolaton Hall (an Elizabethan prodigy house near Nottingham, England) I 'appen to see a rather dandified older gentleman flaneur-ing about in the park. White Panama, Dark Navy Blazer paired with cream shirt and striped club tie. Sand coloured linen trou and a pair of tan and cream speccies. He was also carrying a B&M (a budget variety retailer (had to look up that definition as I didn't know how to define them!)) plastic shopping bag, probably containing his lunch. I thought it a nice counterpoint.

I was most impressed. Alas, no pics I'm afraid.

agree about the overall shape an cut also about the head. not a fan of the patches though

What pleases me is indeed their sharp and superclean cut. I also dislike 3 patch pockets jackets. It's too often unbalanced and has a propensity to break the line of the jacket. The shape of their pockets is also too square and clumsy for me. I prefer the neapolitan curves. But, amongst all Savile Row operations, and despite their Igent hype, they are the most seducing british tailors to my taste.

What pleases me is indeed their sharp and superclean cut. I also dislike 3 patch pockets jackets. It's too often unbalanced and has a propensity to break the line of the jacket. The shape of their pockets is also too square and clumsy for me. I prefer the neapolitan curves. But, amongst all Savile Row operations, and despite their Igent hype, they are the most seducing british tailors to my taste.

most good british tailoring is sharp and clean. What i like about steed is their incorporation of a full chest in the otherwise sharp and clean jacket. To me the problem is not the 3 patches, or even the british patches ( I agree Neapolitan patches are sexier), but just think that the cloth would be better without patches

most good british tailoring is sharp and clean. What i like about steed is their incorporation of a full chest in the otherwise sharp and clean jacket. To me the problem is not the 3 patches, or even the british patches ( I agree Neapolitan patches are sexier), but just think that the cloth would be better without patches

You may also underline their work on the shoulders, structured but not too much demonstrative (I think to the grotesque of Chittleborough or even Sexton). I won't say they are subtle (because their cut is not) but they show a good fluidity which adds to the global clean line.

You may also underline their work on the shoulders, structured but not too much demonstrative (I think to the grotesque of Chittleborough or even Sexton). I won't say they are subtle (because their cut is not) but they show a good fluidity which adds to the global clean line.

Dont think the Nutters shoulder of SEXton and Morgan are typical of British tailoring, just typical on the insta. Although other tailors certainly make more structured than Steed.

Dont think the Nutters shoulder of SEXton and Morgan are typical of British tailoring, just typical on the insta. Although other tailors certainly make more structured than Steed.

talking about SEXton

what do you two suit scientist think of MOGG?

and what about the pants of MUCSKA?

talking about SEXton

what do you two suit scientist think of MOGG?

and what about the pants of MUCSKA?

Living in Berlin and wearing classic menswear must be tough. He is definitely an outsider there, much more agreeable than the late Benedikt Friedeggs who sports unveiled exploited backalley humble MBTailors before they expire. If you look at what Mogg wears is sober and IMPORTANT, with proper sleeve and trouser lengths. He is the last classic western man before penetrating the Russian steppes, where only the tundra survives. CesareRomiti CesareRomiti is only an illusion caused by our imagination, a desiderata of our deep tailoring dreams of a world that's never to come back. Mogg is the real antihero of our age.

Living in Berlin and wearing classic menswear must be tough. He is definitely an outsider there, much more agreeable than the late Benedikt Friedeggs who sports unveiled exploited backalley humble MBTailors before they expire. If you look at what Mogg wears is sober and IMPORTANT, with proper sleeve and trouser lengths. He is the last classic western man before penetrating the Russian steppes, where only the tundra survives. CesareRomiti CesareRomiti is only an illusion caused by our imagination, a desiderata of our deep tailoring dreams of a world that's never to come back. Mogg is the real antihero of our age.

Did you start an essay for Parisian Gentleman? What a talent!

OK I’ll bite - what book is that?
It reads like a slightly more articulate Harry Flashman describing his experience in London right after being booted out of Rugby.

I think that it's one of Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor's books, which are all very good.

Leigh Fermor was an adventurer-turned-war hero-turned-turned travel writer. He walked across Europe, from Holland to Constantinople, in the early 1930s when he was in his late teens. In WWII, he joined the British Special Operations Executive (SOE), which worked behind enemy lines to commit sabotage and to assist local resistance movements.

I think that it's one of Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor's books, which are all very good.

Leigh Fermor was an adventurer-turned-war hero-turned-turned travel writer. He walked across Europe, from Holland to Constantinople, in the early 1930s when he was in his late teens. In WWII, he joined the British Special Operations Executive (SOE), which worked behind enemy lines to commit sabotage and to assist local resistance movements.

I wish that terrorist was executed!

I always thought of Berlin as the place you went if you wanted to live out your rubber fetish 24/7 on the edge of the West with your David Bowie and Klaus Nomi albums living in a one room S&M studio. A fragile place where the only logical response was for kinksters to live there as no one else would risk taking up residence. That was in the 80s of course. The last two people I know who visited there got pickpocketed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom