Ask a Photographer: Camera equipment and photographic techniques.

Arnathor

The Hamiltonian Hung Like a Horse
Supporter
As a professional photographer I would love to discuss gear and techniques, as well as help others improve themselves!

Any camera discussion is welcome, this thread will have no dissenters allowed, or I will go Tira/Darth Vader all over you.

I shoot with Canon, although I started with Nikon. It is a personal choice, but Canon has a wider network and it is easier to have things fixed with them. Although, I truly like the ergonomics of Nikon cameras.

Any camera discussion is welcome, this thread will have no dissenters allowed, or I will go Tira/Darth Vader all over you.

I shoot with Canon, although I started with Nikon. It is a personal choice, but Canon has a wider network and it is easier to have things fixed with them. Although, I truly like the ergonomics of Nikon cameras.

Ok, which is better value for $ ?

I went the other way around - I used to have a Canon but, after some f*&#er stole it, I got a Nikon.

Now, however, I've got a retro-styled Fujifilm X10, after previously having an X100.

I do itch to get an SLR again, though, or at least a multi-lens camera.

Depends what you need it for? I am biased towards Canon and feel it has better value because so many people use it.

I think a lot of people use Nikon too. I suppose your question articulates the point... what is Cannon better at vs Nikon and Nikon better at vs Canon?

Sarto,

I would set your camera to the manual mode, aperture set to f/5.6, shutter speed around 1/200sec and be close to a window. It is best to shoot with natural, indirect sun light, that'll give you very even lighting across your subject. At that aperture you have a reasonable depth of field that should keep your subject in focus and still allow enough light in. Setting your shutter speed at 200th of a second is usually fast enough to stop any movement in the photos.

I would lay your ties parallel to your source of light and if you have a tripod, use it. As for your focal length (how far you zoom in), set it at least 50mm, that avoids distortion from wide angles.

OR

You can send me your ties and I will photograph them, no charge.

I think a lot of people use Nikon too. I suppose your question articulates the point... what is Cannon better at vs Nikon and Nikon better at vs Canon?
There are definitely a lot of Nikon users, no doubt, but Canon has greater market share. That is why I felt there is a bit more value.

As for what is better at what:

That is tough for me to give you straight-up fact without having to do a little googling myself. I generally consult www.dpreview.com whenever I have to look up camera equipment, they are very in-depth.

Okay, I believe that Canon (At the highest end) is slightly cheaper than Nikon in terms of cost, image quality, a better auto-focus system and definitely has the widest network for replacements in the world and when you earn your living from photography that is a game-changer.

As for Nikon; better ergonomics, more customization, I believe they still have the highest megapixel counts and better low light performance.

Both have a similar number of lenses.I believe Nikon has used the same mount through its existence, which allows you to use old lenses flawlessly.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps. I'm still learning everyday when it comes to photography, I am trying to wrap my head around Medium Format cameras that cost $40,000 + for a digital sensor only.

thanks. gonna try it. Problem is that i live close to the sea and light is too strong. Not sure if can set up to manual. gonna reread the manual.

if you were in Europe i will, but i am buying different fabrics all the time also. Another happy client from Nyc received 4 yesterday.

EDIT;

I found ISO 200 set, is that 1/200 sec?

There is also a manual set for white contrast. Is that? It says to take a pic over a white paper to set it up manually.

The aperture set seems not configurable that i know, also no manual mode that i know, are this presets, macro, flower, a woman face, a mountain icon, night, day
Should i use the normal mode ( icon is a red camera) or macro?

There is an option that goes -2-1-0+1+2 , normal is 0, my better pics are with flash and set up at -2, to correct the big flash light. I think is exposition. ( +-2 env, doesn´t arrives at 5 as you recommended me)

Thank you, maybe we can do something...

Sarto,

I would set your camera to the manual mode, aperture set to f/5.6, shutter speed around 1/200sec and be close to a window. It is best to shoot with natural, indirect sun light, that'll give you very even lighting across your subject. At that aperture you have a reasonable depth of field that should keep your subject in focus and still allow enough light in. Setting your shutter speed at 200th of a second is usually fast enough to stop any movement in the photos.

I would lay your ties parallel to your source of light and if you have a tripod, use it. As for your focal length (how far you zoom in), set it at least 50mm, that avoids distortion from wide angles.

OR

You can send me your ties and I will photograph them, no charge.

Last edited:
This is a nice idea!

I have a Canon Rebel XTi from some years ago when I was into photography but my self portraits suck. I can get the focal point right so for example the tie is out of focus. I don't have a shutter and would not like to buy one, what can I do?

Betel,

Do you mean you do not wish to buy a remote trigger for your camera?
If you have nice lighting in your area, and from what I saw on SF, it appears
you do, you could set your camera to Aperture Priority, on your camera it should be a capital A just on that little clicker wheel near the button you press to take the photo (That is called the shutter release)

Continuing, once you get into Aperture Priority mode and assuming the light is nice and strong, but not so strong you have deep, contrasty shadows, set your camera to f/8 and go up to about f/11 and try and shoot. Most lenses go to f/22, the higher you set that number you go the more in focus everything in your frame should be, theoretically.

Now if you simply do not wish to fork out the $100 something canon wants for the little remote, you could just go on ebay

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...i+remote&_nkw=canon+rebel+xti+remote&_sacat=0

Let me know if you have any luck with setting your aperture higher and shooting that way.

Sarto, I am going to try and find the manual online and read it and see what else I can recommend.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Panasonic/DMC-FX5/Manual/51393

I believe I found the correct manual and your camera should have a Manual setting, almost every camera does, but it also has an Aperture Priority mode too, so try using that because all you have to set is your aperture (f/stop number, try setting it to the highest number available when you are zoomed in)

The -2,-1, 0, 1, 2 numbers you see are exposure compensation.

Get your camera into Aperture Priority mode, set the zoom to what you want and take a test shot. If you need flash, add it, try use the exposure compensation as needed to even out the exposure.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for writing to me, I definitely feel like I am being more of a benefit to the forum now.

Sarto, I am going to try and find the manual online and read it and see what else I can recommend.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Panasonic/DMC-FX5/Manual/51393

I believe I found the correct manual and your camera should have a Manual setting, almost every camera does, but it also has an Aperture Priority mode too, so try using that because all you have to set is your aperture (f/stop number, try setting it to the highest number available when you are zoomed in)

The -2,-1, 0, 1, 2 numbers you see are exposure compensation.

Get your camera into Aperture Priority mode, set the zoom to what you want and take a test shot. If you need flash, add it, try use the exposure compensation as needed to even out the exposure.

Hi,

That seems a modern version of my camera, i yet can´t find manual setting.

This is the manual,

camera version is DMC-FX5EG

https://www.u-manual.com/download-m...amera-panasonic-dmc-fx5eg-a.html#.VMz8QCgvpfE

edit, damn the shit is in Polsh-

Betel,

Do you mean you do not wish to buy a remote trigger for your camera?
If you have nice lighting in your area, and from what I saw on SF, it appears
you do, you could set your camera to Aperture Priority, on your camera it should be a capital A just on that little clicker wheel near the button you press to take the photo (That is called the shutter release)

Continuing, once you get into Aperture Priority mode and assuming the light is nice and strong, but not so strong you have deep, contrasty shadows, set your camera to f/8 and go up to about f/11 and try and shoot. Most lenses go to f/22, the higher you set that number you go the more in focus everything in your frame should be, theoretically.

Now if you simply do not wish to fork out the $100 something canon wants for the little remote, you could just go on ebay

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...i+remote&_nkw=canon+rebel+xti+remote&_sacat=0

Let me know if you have any luck with setting your aperture higher and shooting that way.

Nice! Will try to get the f number a bit up, I was setting it on f/3.5... that will requiere a longer exposure, right?

Check this examples below.

tumblr_nitff6DY991spqdezo1_500.jpg

tumblr_niyyio1Tgo1spqdezo1_540.jpg

The second one has a bit of sharpening on photoshop.

Hey, 3.5 is a fairly shallow aperture setting, I'd suggest taking it up to f/5.6. It would require a longer exposure but you could boost your ISO setting to off set that.

That 2nd photo looks good, everything at this resolution look fine to me.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, Sarto, I'll look tomorrow morning. But dammit, just buy a new Canon Powershot Point & Shoot already.

So. I tried today with an f/8 number and a ISO 400. The exposure time was 0.5" seg but I think it looks better. I still sharpened it a bit on Photoshop.

casual-2_zps8275468c.jpg

It looks alright to me, but 5th/sec is pretty long for a portrait, probably too long, hence why you need to sharpen it a little.
I'd double your ISO to 800 and drop your Aperture to f/6.3 and see where the shutter speed is at, try to get it around 60 to 100th/sec. You can still run some sharpening, never hurts, especially at web size.

What lens are you using, btw?

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, Sarto, I'll look tomorrow morning. But dammit, just buy a new Canon Powershot Point & Shoot already.

Thanks, but i can´t my new scam is the official FIAT dealer scammed my mother, and now the engine has a broken cilinder and needs a new engine. Thanks God, Fiat kicked out from the official dealers those mechanics. 2000 euros because they put tap water instead of special liquid ( and charged the tap water as special liquid, the scammers) and it rusted some mechanism.

Bastards met Divine Justice, and are now unemployeed forever.

Well, that car has 18,5 years. Was my first car that i bought when i got the license with 18.

Was totally perfect as i am a sibarite but this crooks ruined me the engine.

That is a shame that FIAT should have been in the Guinness Book of World Records!

It looks alright to me, but 5th/sec is pretty long for a portrait, probably too long, hence why you need to sharpen it a little.
I'd double your ISO to 800 and drop your Aperture to f/6.3 and see where the shutter speed is at, try to get it around 60 to 100th/sec. You can still run some sharpening, never hurts, especially at web size.

What lens are you using, btw?

I think that for that exposure time I will need a lot more light. What I fear is getting the pic with a lot of grain with a higher ISO.

That 2nd photo you posted was pretty good, hell, if the system isn't broken, don't fix it.
3.5 is shallow, but if you get your focus right, you should be fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom