Best of Grantland

It dawns on me that my attendance is always for cerebral fare and at off-peak times and that may explain my lack of bad experiences.
But I still think the real issue is that people don't even want to put on their cargo shorts and Crocs to go outside.

It dawns on me that my attendance is always for cerebral fare and at off-peak times and that may explain my lack of bad experiences.
But I still think the real issue is that people don't even want to put on their cargo shorts and Crocs to go outside.

Perhaps, and to a degree I can relate... traffic, parking, people, it's all a pain in the ass.

I can't stand going to the theatre nowadays. I did see Interstellar in IMAX 3D, but other than a few big movies a year I have no desire to see the others in theatres. I'm waiting for American Sniper and the rest to show up on amazon instead of going to see them.

Movie theaters are now the modern equivalent of public transportation. They're full of the underclass now.

This is from Forbes, not Grantland, but I still thought it was a good article on one of modern management's false gods:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede...n-of-the-worlds-dumbest-idea-milton-friedman/

The author of the above article had previously laid the boot into excessive executive compensation, in another well-argued article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede...reholder-value-the-dumbest-idea-in-the-world/

Stopped reading after the article calls the idea that a corporation's money is it's shareholder's money an "intellectual fallacy". People have a hard time realizing that using big words doesn't make false statements any truer. A corporation's money is the shareholder's money. That's pretty much the definition of a corporation. If I own 50% of the shares in a company, then 50% of the money (and liabilities) are mine.

That said, I'm pretty right-wing, but the current corporate trend of keeping wages stagnant as productivity, profits, and executive compensation soars is socially reckless. Truly, it's jeopardizing the cohesion of our society. I had the misfortune of saying this in front of the head of Florida's CoC and am expecting a pink slip any day now.

I initially read this as "the head of Florida's cock" and was somewhat confused.

What's a CoC and why could it endanger your job?
Chamber of Commerce

Big moneyed interest groups are not ones public servants should be pissing office. Especially in Florida.

All this well do is push the average NFLer further down the socioeconomic ladder. Borland's a white guy with wealthy parents. For fuck's sake, he's going on to get a Master's in History.

I had no idea what his background was, but I get it now. I personally wouldn't want my kids involved in football, and if it means it becomes a poor kids game, fine with me, it's a slow, commercial filled, unwatchable sport.

Dikembe?! Man, I don't even remember him in college. I hated Iverson.

Yeah, Dikembe and Mourning played together at Georgetown, can you imagine what it was like with those 2 together on the floor? This is back when the Big East was the shit.

Iverson wasn't such a prickly character in college.

Great. ESPN end Bill Simmons's contract. No room for vocal journalism anywhere anymore. I hope he re-creates it independently, because one of the few decent websites worth reading is at risk of becoming another piece of crap.

Its been pretty bad. The rap article above was good. I just go now for Jonah Keri and Zach Lowe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom