Chronicling Sixth Great Extinction

Jan Libourel

Just saw in the magazine of Ducks Unlimited (a fine old conservation organization I support) that the population of light-colored geese (greater and lesser snow geese, Ross' geese) has increased enormously in recent decades--to the point where they are destroying habitat, including critical habitat for ducks and also damaging agriculture. Increased bags permitted to hunters don't seem to be checking their numbers. At least they sure don't seem to be in any danger of extinction.

A few years ago a Ross' goose wintered at the lagoon by my house. It attracted a number of birders since it was south of its customary wintering grounds in the Central Valley. It was a cute little goose. It vanished after some storms in early March. I envisioned the little goose gamely making its way up to its nesting grounds north of the Arctic Circle and wished it well.

Jan Libourel

An article in the L.A. Times the other day stated that in the 1960s there were about 30,000 California sea lions along the coast of our state. Today, mostly because of legal protection, their numbers have burgeoned to about a quarter-million. Again, I ask, "What Great Extinction?"

Oh my! I see I made a very similar post two years ago. My bad!

Last edited:

Rambo

Fucked Walker In The Face
Supporter
An article in the L.A. Times the other day stated that in the 1960s there were about 30,000 California sea lions along the coast of our state. Today, mostly because of legal protection, their numbers have burgeoned to about a quarter-million. Again, I ask, "What Great Extinction?"

Oh my! I see I made a very similar post two years ago. My bad!
Those dastardly sea lions have really been on your mind

Jan Libourel

Those dastardly sea lions have really been on your mind
Well, I do see them on rare occasions when I am out with my dogs. They are going to connect the lagoon near my house with an open channel instead of an underground conduit. The sea lions may come into the lagoon via the channel and turn up on my doorstep! Public opinion on sea lions varies. Some people welcome them, to others they are pests that appropriate and defile choice beaches and consume sought-after game fish and other sea life.

Jan Libourel

^I seem to recall that LelandJ said only a "real idiot" would think cats were a major factor in declining bird populations. No further comment seems necessary.

Top Bottom