Dogs, Badass or Otherwise

Tor has cancer. Doc says he has a few months before it gets bad. It's in the bone in his jaw but it hasn't metastasized yet. We could cut out a big part of his lower jaw -- he'd hate that -- and then put him into chemo and radiation, which he'd hate even more.

We're going to wait until he stops enjoying himself -- right now he's in good spirits and doesn't know anything's wrong except he has a mass in his mouth that makes him drool more than usual -- and once he starts really slowing down we'll put him down before it gets too bad.

Hell of a ride he's had, though. Such a good boy.

Such a Good Boy.jpg

Tor has cancer. Doc says he has a few months before it gets bad. It's in the bone in his jaw but it hasn't metastasized yet. We could cut out a big part of his lower jaw -- he'd hate that -- and then put him into chemo and radiation, which he'd hate even more.

We're going to wait until he stops enjoying himself -- right now he's in good spirits and doesn't know anything's wrong except he has a mass in his mouth that makes him drool more than usual -- and once he starts really slowing down we'll put him down before it gets too bad.

View attachment 17719

Sorry to hear that. Have had a number of dogs that got cancer. Osteosarcoma. There is rarely a cure for dogs with surgery & chemo or whatever. Surgery etc. Is for the owner to feel good, not for the dog.

View attachment 17719
Jesus. Really sorry to hear about that Rainy.

We talked it out again today and we're going to wait until the bad days start to outnumber the good days. Then we'll send him on his way on a good day.

We talked it out again today and we're going to wait until the bad days start to outnumber the good days. Then we'll send him on his way on a good day.

It sucks but it is best. They are never, ever with us long enough.

Sorry to hear that, Rain Man Rain Man . Make the most out of his final days.

I've always wondered how people can even have dogs in this day and age when you're at work for 8-12 hours a day? And what do you do with weekend trips and holidays? I'd love to have a dog, but can't see myself having enough time till I retire. And when I retire I'd probably want to spend most of my time travelling.

Sorry to hear that, Rain Man Rain Man . Make the most out of his final days.

I've always wondered how people can even have dogs in this day and age when you're at work for 8-12 hours a day? And what do you do with weekend trips and holidays? I'd love to have a dog, but can't see myself having enough time till I retire. And when I retire I'd probably want to spend most of my time travelling.

My wife mostly works from home and I travel a lot for work. He's our security guard and her shadow.

Taking him to the beach this afternoon.

The tears just started welling up in my eyes reading your post. A fine looking dog, he is, and I know what a heartbreak and loss you will be facing.

Tor is getting retired to management. We picked out an emergency backup dog yesterday; we're bringing her home on Saturday. She's a boxer-mastiff cross, 7 weeks old and built like a brick shithouse at 16 lbs.

Sam.jpg

That's a good looking pup. I hope she brings you and your family a lot of joy, that she lasts a long time and that her presence will soften the blow when it's time to say good-bye to Tor.

I'm anthropomorphizing, but he finds such immense joy in guarding us -- right now he's sitting at the window watching the valley as I type this, like a big white gargoyle -- that we're hoping it will ease his mind once he starts to get really sick if he knows that there's someone else here to take care of us.

Interesting Newsweek article on Tosa fighting in Japan on Yahoo right now. If I knew how to post a link I would. Hiroshi Sudo, the veterinarian mentioned in the article, once paid us a visit to check on our imported dog Zuma. He was still a teenager then. The article overplayed the frequency of fatalities in the fights. I have always heard they are extremely rare.

Interesting Newsweek article on Tosa fighting in Japan on Yahoo right now. If I knew how to post a link I would. Hiroshi Sudo, the veterinarian mentioned in the article, once paid us a visit to check on our imported dog Zuma. He was still a teenager then. The article overplayed the frequency of fatalities in the fights. I have always heard they are extremely rare.

How old is your Tosa(s)? You have more than one, no?

How old is your Tosa(s)? You have more than one, no?
Sadly, none. I am virtually certain I am done with the Tosas. Wonderful dogs (although doubtless not to everyone's taste), but all too many of them die way too young. I once did a statistical calculation on about 70 Tosas whose life histories I knew. About 38 percent made it to age eight, and only 20 percent survived to age 10. Of the five I owned, none made it to seven. In any event, hardly anybody is breeding them in the USA anymore.

In fact, I doubt seriously that we shall ever get another dog. I love good dogs, but owning one (if you take it seriously) involves an awful lot of work, expense and responsibility, all too often to be concluded with a heartbreak only a few years down the road. I'll just content myself with my parrot, who will be turning 31 in a few days, and the goldfish in my pond, a couple of whom are at least 15 years old.

Sadly, none. I am virtually certain I am done with the Tosas. Wonderful dogs (although doubtless not to everyone's taste), but all too many of them die way too young. I once did a statistical calculation on about 70 Tosas whose life histories I knew. About 38 percent made it to age eight, and only 20 percent survived to age 10. Of the five I owned, none made it to seven. In any event, hardly anybody is breeding them in the USA anymore.

In fact, I doubt seriously that we shall ever get another dog. I love good dogs, but owning one (if you take it seriously) involves an awful lot of work, expense and responsibility, all too often to be concluded with a heartbreak only a few years down the road. I'll just content myself with my parrot, who will be turning 31 in a few days, and the goldfish in my pond, a couple of whom are at least 15 years old.

I was unaware you no longer had any.

Very sombering stats and it is a shame that the biguns don't have much longevity

At least you have have personality in spades from the parrot

She´s 14 today. there were many times in the past fourteen years when I would have given everything to know I would celebrate this day. She survived everything from tetanus to cancer. Today she still wants to lead the way. I walk extra slow so she is faster than me.
Elsa 19.04.16.jpg

She´s 14 today. there were many times in the past fourteen years when I would have given everything to know I would celebrate this day. She survived everything from tetanus to cancer. Today she still wants to lead the way. I walk extra slow so she is faster than me.
View attachment 18276

both she and your words are beautiful

This morning at about 4 AM Tor taught Tira (our new Boxer-Mastiff puppy) that coyotes are a thing to be barked at and scared away.

His heart was in the right place, but now the coyotes know that we have a puppy. So now we have the .22 by the door, loaded with hollowpoints. I love living in the woods.

Thinking about having my folks source me a Tibetan Mastiff. Mom's house has a huge back yard the dog can run around. Not sure how much I am willing to pay for a pup. Last time I was in China, one from a reputable breeder costs about about 30k to 50k USD.

I think Tibetan Mastiffs can be had for a LOT less in North America. I used to see a lot of them at the rare breed shows, although I believe they are full AKC now. Not a breed for everyone. They used to have a reputation for being extreme suspicious if not downright savage to strangers. There was or is a couple in my neighborhood that had a pair. The male was blond colored and looked huge, although he was really no bigger than my Cyrus. He seemed okay--would let me pet him and scratch him behind the ears, but he was still pretty young at the time.

longtime lurker...not on yall's level but ive learned a ton through reading your guys' posts. figured this would be a good post to pop my cherry. prob get shamed for the allen edmonds, but this is one of my fav pics of my american staffordshire willie.

he's a total goofball. pits that are trained right and treated well are some of the best dogs out there...it's when they're owned by assholes that earns em their bad rap.

16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom