Dogs, Badass or Otherwise

Jan Libourel Jan Libourel you might appreciate this one​

What a marvelously trained dog. My wife was very impressed by the Mals some of the police she worked with had. I always told her they are great working dogs but too high energy to make good companion dogs. A friend of mine had a Mal he had to get rid of: When she would get excited, she would redirect and start biting him. I would hate to have a dog trained to walk between my legs, like the dog in the video, do that!

I guess the Missus is taking Benny trick or treating.
IMG_9553.jpg

That's me committed to the first dog: if my eldest get's the right scores, I have to get the long, longed for French Bulldog.

Except she wanted a Golden Retriever. Called a stop on that. Keep it small and in the zone that the rest of the family want.

We'll find out in the next few weeks, if I become a dog owner and indeed, a dog walker.

What are things like in Canada when it comes to breeding German shepherds?
Over here many of them have hip problems because the breeders decided they look better with a lower, rounded off back side.

german-shepherd-dog1.jpg

There are hip problems over here too. Was unaware of what caused that.

my pit willie is in great shape these days...

willie21.jpg

well...except for a couple weeks ago. i come home for lunch every day to walk him and get a lil mental break, and everything was normal. i come home three hours later, he's seizing up, can't walk, no balance...something was FUCKED UP. im freaking out, immediately think it's a stroke (seizures and strokes are very common in blue nose pits due to inbreeding for their coat color, which is a recessive gene).

take him to the emergency vet a couple miles away. vet tech asks a bunch of questions and takes him back to the vet's OR...tech comes back.

vet tech: are you sure he didn't eat anything?
me: pretty sure, that's not his MO.
vet tech: maybe a medication?
me: definitely not.
vet tech: maybe something LIKE a medication?

long story short, willie ate half a joint of some ultra high-test medical shit from michigan and was just really fucking stoned. cost me $110 and a year off my life due to stress to find that out. have a video of him afterwards that's hilarious but it's too big to upload.

i love willie to death, but he's an example of what you guys were talking about in regards to shepherds above.

willie's an american staffordshire and weighs 75 lbs...at towards the upper end of the breed's weight. but he's not a big staffy...has the large, thick frame, but he's short and a pretty medium sized dog. but due to generations of breeding for things like the blue coat, extreme muscle size and definition, and head/snout shape, among a smaller pool of dogs, they have a lot of issues.

the seizures and strokes mentioned above. congenital heart issues. severe allergies. tendon and joint problems due to excessive muscle mass. some have temperment issues (though blue nose pits in my experience tend to the extreme friendliness side, when they get triggered, they're scarily violent).

pits that are more than 80% white are ones you need to be careful of. white coat was easier to spot injuries on, and since they're fighting dogs, that breeding pool was small as well. pits that are largely white can be extremely violent and aggressive. they're typically less stable of temperment than the larger pit population.

backyard breeders have done the pitbull breeds as much of an injustice as owners who can't handle the dogs. it's a true shame. they're tremendous animals and wonderful companions.

That's me committed to the first dog: if my eldest get's the right scores, I have to get the long, longed for French Bulldog.

Except she wanted a Golden Retriever. Called a stop on that. Keep it small and in the zone that the rest of the family want.

We'll find out in the next few weeks, if I become a dog owner and indeed, a dog walker.

Frenchies are very appealing little dogs. However, they are very expensive and have a lot of health and soundness problems. High vet bills are a probability. They are also extremely popular in the gay community...if that matters to you.

Frenchies are very appealing little dogs. However, they are very expensive and have a lot of health and soundness problems. High vet bills are a probability. They are also extremely popular in the gay community...if that matters to you.
Jan what's your take on pet insurance? Think its worth it?

my pit willie is in great shape these days...

View attachment 26200

well...except for a couple weeks ago. i come home for lunch every day to walk him and get a lil mental break, and everything was normal. i come home three hours later, he's seizing up, can't walk, no balance...something was FUCKED UP. im freaking out, immediately think it's a stroke (seizures and strokes are very common in blue nose pits due to inbreeding for their coat color, which is a recessive gene).

take him to the emergency vet a couple miles away. vet tech asks a bunch of questions and takes him back to the vet's OR...tech comes back.

vet tech: are you sure he didn't eat anything?
me: pretty sure, that's not his MO.
vet tech: maybe a medication?
me: definitely not.
vet tech: maybe something LIKE a medication?

long story short, willie ate half a joint of some ultra high-test medical shit from michigan and was just really fucking stoned. cost me $110 and a year off my life due to stress to find that out. have a video of him afterwards that's hilarious but it's too big to upload.
My Willy is in great shape too!!!!!

All depends on how the eldest does in exams and then there's the fact they're not looking after the hamster too well. Now the missus is getting the downstairs floorboards re-waxed/varnished next week. So that might kill it too. She won't want anyone or anything messing up the revamped floor. All will be revealed next month when the eldest get the results of the exams.

^This reminds me so much of my wife, who used a chunk of her inheritance money to do a lot of remodeling, including either replacing or refinishing the downstairs floor. This commenced about eight months after I got my puppy, Cyrus. As a result, for the entirety of Cyrus' six years with us (almost), she kept all the flooring, carpeting and much of the furniture covered with filthy drop cloths and towels to protect these things from claw marks, dog hair, dirt and slobber. These were only removed when we entertained. Getting rid of those damn things and living in a decent looking house was no small consolation for losing Cyrus. Of course, a Frenchie would be a much less obtrusive and destructive presence in the house than a Tosa!

As for pet health insurance, I have never really investigated the matter, but I have been told by a number of people that the premiums are so high as to be scarcely worth it. The high cost of veterinary medicine is another major reason why I have not gotten another dog.

Well, it looks as if I shall be a dog owner once again in a couple of weeks! My wife, entirely on her own initiative, bought an "English Cream" Golden Retriever puppy last Thursday. She and I were very taken with a youngster of this strain belonging to one of her nieces, so she bought a pup from the same breeder. It will be delivered mid-month. Hardly a "badass" dog such as I might have liked, but perhaps a more sensible choice at our season of life.

I just spent a week caring for a Siberian Husky and a red-nosed Pit Bull belonging to some friends of ours. A part of me had always wanted a Pit, but after spending a week with one, I'm just as glad I never got one. She was a total sweetheart with us , but she barked her fool head off almost incessantly, and when we were out on walks she went almost psycho with aggression toward just about every dog we encountered, including many that were very small and non-challenging. I thought I was familiar with dog aggression after owning five Tosas, but this was very different.

Actually, I seem to have misjudged the puppy were getting. I had imagined a Golden Retriever to be a rather "soft," easygoing dog. This little boy is anything but! He is bold, demanding and extremely dominant aggressive, He frequently snarls and bites my wife and me. He comes from Idaho, which is wolf country nowadays. I half wonder if a wild wolf didn't sneak into his dam's kennel run, siring a puppy that looks like a retriever but has the heart and soul of the wolf. Anyway, despite his greeting-card cuteness, he promises to be a real "badass," perhaps more so than any of my Tosas!

What about a thread on nice dogs?

There was a lovely golden retriever in The Bricklayers a couple of weeks ago.

We got on really well. Dogs are fine when somebody else has to look after them.

Well, in a few weeks we are going to be a two-dog household for the first time since October 28, 2002. My wife decided she enjoys our English Cream golden retriever so much that she is buying a puppy, a half-sister of our current dog, that should be delivered in about three weeks.

My predictions about Polar, our present dog, were certainly true. He is definitely a "badass," dog-aggressive and territorial in the extreme. He will hurl himself in a frenzy of rage anytime a person, especially one with a dog, walks by our front window. This is even true when the dog is otherwise a friend of his. I mentioned to the owner of one of his friends, a Cane Corso bitch, that an old dog-breed book I was reading rated the Golden's territoriality as "none." "In his case," the Cane's master replied, "I'd say it was 100%!"

Congrats, they're great dogs. Do you have any pictures? Back in school I used to look after our neighbours bitch who was every bit like you describe. Very sweet but could be really protective on occasion.

Would love to get a Golden but I'm very afraid of health issues and resulting vet costs. We've already had to pay several thousands for the treatments of our cats and I don't think a large dog will be any cheaper. Unfortunately the laws here were changed and now you either have to pay till your pet drops dead or you basically leave it to suffer.

So I think the donks and minis think they are dogs now. Or maybe the other way around. They all like posing.
1563992460136.jpeg

1563992528949.jpeg

Newfs in the donkey enclosure
1563992568415.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom