Leather Jacket Thread

That’s nuts! Does it feel like you are wearing armour?
I figure it will be broken-in in a couple of years of driving over it with the F150 daily. 7 pounds. It is not that bad actually. But I have a 10 pound Swedish sheepskin coat.

I figure it will be broken-in in a couple of years of driving over it with the F150 daily. 7 pounds. It is not that bad actually. But I have a 10 pound Swedish sheepskin coat.
For comparison:

Thurlow Leatherworld (deer): 1,51kg / 3.32Lb
ELMC Californian: 1.53 kg / 3.37 lb
Langlitz Cascade: 1.77kg / 3.91lb
DC J-100: 1.80 kg / 3.98 lb
Lewis Leathers 551: 1.94 kg / 4.25 lb
Schott 644: 1.95 kg / 4.31 lb
Lee Storm Rider: 1,97kg / 4.35Lb
Lewis Leathers Universal Racer Mk2: 2,03kg / 4.47Lb
Metropolitan Uniform CO. PJ27: 2.08kg / 4.58lb
DC JH-1: 2.09kg / 4.61lb
Schott B3: 2.11kg / 4.66 lb
Golden Bear Deck Jacket: 2.16kg / 4.77lb
RMC JH-1: 2.21kg / 4.87lb
Himel Chevalier: 2.23 kg / 4.93 lbs
Schott 613H: 2,24kg / 4.94Lb
Aero Bootlegger CXLFQHH(brown): 2.31 kg / 5.09 lb
Schott 621: 2,41kg / 5.31Lb
Frewheelers San Mateo: 2.5kg/ 5.5lb
Langlitz Columbia: 2.50kg / 5.56lb
Schott 602: 2.53kg / 5.59lb
Aero Bootlegger CXLFQHH(black): 2.55 kg / 5.63 lb
Legendary USA Trojan Horse: 2.56kg / 5.64lb
Aero Leather Grizzly: 2.61kg / 5.75lb
Freewheelers La Brea: 2.61 kg / 5.76 lb
AL Cafe Racer: 2.72 kg / 5.66 lb
Apparel Annex CHP: 2.73 kg / 6.03lb
Legendary USA J-24 HH: 2,76kg / 6.08Lb
Vanson Swedish Rider: 2,79kg / 6.16Lb
Vanson x Left Field Commando: 2.89kg / 6.37lb
Oje malung Swedish Rider: 2,90kg / 6.40Lb
Vanson CHP2: 2.90kg / 6.39lb
Lost Worlds J-23: 2.98kg / 6.57lb
Lost Worlds Leathertogs: 3.44kg /

Ideal to be this:
1623858467_esm-rls-tm-discover-7.png

Again: not mine, just a cool project. Dutch guy bought a used, locally made CHP type police jacket and a few ladies coats that he sent to Greg Field in Scotland to work on. The end result is pretty impressive.

8CEB4CA2-EE86-4303-B244-DDAED2977F8A.jpeg

Again: not mine, just a cool project. Dutch guy bought a used, locally made CHP type police jacket and a few ladies coats that he sent to Greg Field in Scotland to work on. The end result is pretty impressive.

View attachment 39032
Mmmm. I don't like that.

I have mixed feelings about motorcycle jackets, even though I appreciate some of them from an iconic style perspective. I cannot see them on men now without seeing visions of the Village People and hearing the music played in the Blue Oyster Bar. The style has been subverted in my mind.

Can look very good on women.

The black perfecto style is definitely over saturated with every SWD type owning one, but I still like the CHP and Buco D pocket style jackets. Especially with a mouton collar. That said, I still wouldn’t buy one.

I can see it suiting your style. I wouldn't wear those trousers and boots instead.

I already have the trousers and boots. I wouldn’t pay Tom Ford prices for something like that, but it might be fun to send a well fitting tweed sport coat to 5* in Pakistan with instructions to copy it exactly in a russet goat suede. I think the big poacher flap patch pockets and a throat latch would would be a nice match to keep it rustic.

Zotto looks like he is off to get some shag carpet knee burns at the swingers club disco there.
Ololo. If you think of it, he is the ultimate cosplayer given his day job and all his finery is only for posing, unless he does the town every evening.

^It's worth noting that he commissioned that jacket in November 2017.

Almost four years later, and he still hasn't collected it. Certainly, COVID-19 has intervened in many travel plans, but this really highlights the hazard inherent in commissioning bespoke pieces from overseas suppliers.

^It's worth noting that he commissioned that jacket in November 2017.

Almost four years later, and he still hasn't collected it. Certainly, COVID-19 has intervened in many travel plans, but this really highlights the hazard inherent in commissioning bespoke pieces from overseas suppliers.

Thats insane. I think it took five months from me sending payment to receiving custom jacket from Greg Field in Scotland in the middle of their covid lockdowns. The wait is up to ten months now due to demand, but at some point he is going to take on an apprentice to help with production and keep waits getting any longer.

Johnson Leathers in SF hit another one out of the park with this fully custom Buco J24 style jacket in Horween chocolate Vermont leather with some natural accents (I’m not a fan of the two tone, but the customer was).

C8CE0F6B-9BA1-4845-B2FC-78296B65A7F0.jpeg

Jacket looks great, and really good fit - I wouldn’t want those 2 accented pockets though.

Jacket looks great, and really good fit - I wouldn’t want those 2 accented pockets though.
Agreed. It has the same accent inside the gussets on the back as well. With time the contrast will soften as the natural leather darkens, but I agree that it would look a lot better without.

A few more pics of that Johnson Leathers custom J24 jacket. Even though they made their name making jackets for the California Highway Patrol in the 50s and 60s, I didn’t associate them with this style at all. I must say I’m impressed. For not a lot more than a bog standard off-the-each Schott, you can go full MtM with Johnson.

CAF20342-A219-405C-BA4A-9EE377BFF08E.jpeg
965103CB-6754-429A-B4AE-EA439AEE7E7C.jpeg
5438D91A-2912-4F08-AD58-802824F50CB9.jpeg
6754B67F-385D-4328-A30B-22252A122FC9.jpeg

I don’t need another leather jacket, but I’m still tempted to get one more - the custom process being so much fun. If I did, it would be another from JL. Probably a French cyclist jacket with a mouton collar, or a J100 cafe racer, but another J24 cross z

It’s way too hot to wear this right now, but I just wanted to see how it looked with these pants before sending them back.

850891C0-7372-4444-94A9-187DE2A49021.jpeg

I have done a lot of 9 hour flights in Economy and I have used leather jackets that can just be rolled up and put under the seat with my shoes and end up looking no worse for the ill-treatment.

I also have this smarter Geography teacher Azzaro espresso coloured jacket
20210718_062332.jpg
that I would not use for that purpose and has never had a wear. I need to be brave and find clothes that go with it.

not a big fan of the clash between the olive, navy, and brown of the jacket. plus the gold of the belt buckle. too busy, takes away from the star attraction.
It is a bit on the busy side, yes.

But compared to some of the loud multi coloured shirts that seem to be 'on trend', it's positively subdued.

not a big fan of the clash between the olive, navy, and brown of the jacket. plus the gold of the belt buckle. too busy, takes away from the star attraction.

* Black, olive, brown.

Worn brass buckle, same as jacket hardware.

Last edited:
Never combine brown and black. Get rid of that black shirt and the belt. Take a sky blue button down shirt. Maybe a pale yellow shirt. And a simple belt with a silver buckle.

I like mixing brown and black, particularly when the textures are very different (though not mixing brown and black leather if it can be avoided). The black provides a nice blank canvas for the other stuff to stand out.

And if you tell me olive, dark brown and black is too loud or busy I’m going to tell you *****

Still kicking ideas around for a black leather jacket, but can’t really settle on a style. Plus I don’t own casual black shoes or boots, so that may not happen.

Last edited:
It’s way too hot to wear this right now, but I just wanted to see how it looked with these pants before sending them back.

View attachment 39810
* Black, olive, brown.

Worn brass buckle, same as jacket hardware.
I actually had preferred navy over black. With the exception of shoes I never wear black (I only have a black camelhair jumper), as black is a non-colour that only matches well with white, and this is the classic dress code for a very fomal evening or for a funeral.

I don't dislike the jacket, would have preferred however buttons instead of zippers.

I’m really digging this jacket from Japanese brand Addict. They take the classic Brit Lewis Leathers Lightning model and improved the fit, the hardwear and use a sturdy veg tanned horsehide over the ubiquitous LL sheep. It’s still expensive, but not as bad as some other small Japanese brands. Worn here by a Brit.

FB03A35D-74B2-4400-854D-256A687773DD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom