New Brand/Shop Discovery

New at Costco today just for the weekend:
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
 
The Hill Side. Anyone ever heard of this brand? They make some horrendously awful looking stuff.
From the creators of Hickorees...
No, that's the first of it for me. They seem to be on that hipster side of the Made in USA movement, where the stuff is not particularly desirable in an un-ironic way and the price seems to be at Veblen levels even factoring in extreme low volume and domestic production and all.
Some of the stuff was so bad it was good, but kitsch can be had on the cheap.
 
The only shoes I feel I need are another pair of brown oxfords. I'm considering looking into the MTO of Jocent Royal just because they bothered to respond to my skepticism and now I feel the urge to put my money where my mouth is. I'm hoping that Russell will try a pair first (you're Australian, right?) and let me know how they stack up with something like AE or Meermin (two brands which strike me as a good minimum for a quality shoe).
 
It has been around for awhile now, IIRC.

Some decent things in the past,Just not sure how many people buy expensive bandanas.
 
Last edited:
The only shoes I feel I need are another pair of brown oxfords. I'm considering looking into the MTO of Jocent Royal just because they bothered to respond to my skepticism and now I feel the urge to put my money where my mouth is. I'm hoping that Russell will try a pair first (you're Australian, right?) and let me know how they stack up with something like AE or Meermin (two brands which strike me as a good minimum for a quality shoe).
As far as I know, and I have no special knowledge, its a Chinese student, or he may be living and working here now, whose family or connections owns the manufacturing source in China. As I understand it they will come around to your place with a few styles and sizes to get fit right then send off to China, have shoes made and shipped straight to you.

Strangely, and I say this because I know most of the igent/clothing nuts networks in Melbourne and I have never heard of anyone with a pair. If anyone can point me to someone in Melbourne I'll check 'em out.

Actually I might know someone - hang on I'll check.
 
Last edited:
Here it is:

http://www.apoormansmillions.com/search?q=jocent

Bugger. I bumped into Jarod and was chatting last night in the city. Next time I'll see him, probably in the next week or so, and ask about the shoes. He'll know the story - hes in the industry.

From his blog
A Poor Man's Millions11/11/2013 10:58

Thanks Scott, the shoes are well made they only thing that is an issue for me is the soles and heel are quite hard. I'm not a heavy walker to they will take a little longer to wear in so to speak. I'd put these above Meermin and around loake level for now. I will see how they are in a months time!

Robert Shaw23/12/2013 21:42

Hi there,
First of all, I like the look, particularly the jacket and shoes! Though polo's aren't much to my taste.

More importantly I was wondering if we could get an update on the shoes? Jocent Royal is having a sale at the moment and I'd be interested to know how your pair is going before I take the plunge into my first pair of goodyear welted shoes.

A Poor Man's Millions23/12/2013 22:08

Robert,
Thank you for contacting me. Jocent shoes for there price are good value, with their last they use I'm pretty much inbetween sizes. I'm usually a 7.5uk F last theirs is on the small side and as I said in previous comments the heels and soles are quite hard, so it's taking awhile to wear in!
 
Jm - I read his post - I have orthotics too - as do a fair few people I know on forums who have good shoes. Wonka should ask on OZ thread. Even shooey has orthotics - its a bugger but all part of life, like my dropped shoulder, pointy bone on top of left shoulders, high gut (expanding), dropped hip and forward thrust hips / middle on standing - I'm not perfectly proportioned like foo, manton, immatt and prince nez.

I'm pretty sure shooey had a proper bespoke and tried to build in the orthotic and wasn't all that taken with the way it worked out. Just difficult to do properly.

He should just come down to Melbourne for a day. Between Double Monk, Henry Bucks, Beggar Man Thief, McClouds, American Tailors, or even (shudder) Harrolds and another place that sells a few Cheaney - I can't think off the top of my head of a shoe brand thats not stocked here.

Getting lasts made for yourself isn't cheap but it frequently done for people with physical foot problems. Theres a bloke/factory in Melbourne who does make for the big companies - he got a grant (of a million or so) to work with RMs on doing laser last design and manufacture. I don't know where its all at just now. I should follow up.
 
Last edited:
That website needs to be improved it hurts to look at the shirting.
 
Not fond of the brand name but my first piquet white cotton shirt by Fay arrived today. Fits me perfectly in medium and was half the price of Eidos.
 
Speaking of Eidos, I just realised that a lot of their stuff, particularly their odd jackets and some of their casual shirts, is very similar to what Howard Yount has been doing for some years now.

Unfortunately, mainly due to Yount's non-existent customer service and online-only existence, HY hasn't had much exposure whereas Eidos is now quite widely known.
 
Jamison turning out to be a bum was a real shock to me. We always had great dealings before he started HY.
 
It's a mystery to me, too.

I can only assume that he either lost the energy/passion for HY, or that he's largely preoccupied with other things such as kids/family/work and thus can't be bothered allocating energy to communicating with HY customers. When Jamison first started HY, he was very active in the HY thread on SF and he rapidly responded to messages. He was also very helpful when I wanted to do a group order of a few umbrellas so as to save on shipping to Australia and he only charged shipping for one umbrella, which was very generous of him as it was quite a large package.

It's a pity, as HY has some really good products at good prices and I am sure that his lack of communication hurts the brand as it means that a) some people who read the HY thread on SF would be dissuaded from purchasing due to all the stories about non-existent communication; and b) his lack of communication means that word doesn't get out about the brand.

When he first started, there was a fair bit of publicity around the brand, with features in clothing blogs and so on, but no-one mentions HY now because Jamison's been so quiet. He doesn't even bother sending out e-mails to announce new season stock, which is odd, as he still puts up new, seasonal stock on the store but no-one knows when it arrives because he doesn't announce it!
 
He's been selling Inis Meain for a year or more, and he's been selling ties, shoe polish and very expensive trinkets (wild-animal-horn knife holders etc) for longer than that.

On a related note, I really can't fathom who buys clothes hangers from him. I went to my local wholesaling place, that sells mannequins, hangers and shop fittings and which also sells to the public, and I bought a load of wide, well-shaped wooden hangers for about $7 each. I think that the top-of-the-line wooden hangers were $10 each. The only difference that I can see between the ones that I bought and Kirby's hangers, is that Kirby's are varnished in different colours.
 
Lean Garments, makers of small batches of cheap OCBDs. Now doing a long sleeve popover, which is weird but whatever.
16251a4c-c21b-4e8f-9f8f-cc1da5f7c651.jpg

These summer essentials are online tomorrow 5th of June at 6pm GMT +3. It means that for example in UK it's 4pm and in New York 11am. But you should double check the right time, just to be sure..
I hope to get in on this. May be up Arnathor Arnathor 's bag too.
 
Lean Garments, makers of small batches of cheap OCBDs. Now doing a long sleeve popover, which is weird but whatever.

I've got a couple of long-sleeved popover shirts in oxford cloth, and they're very versatile.

The Lean Garments ones look nice, except for the flapped chest pocket. I know that it's "trad", but it's not really my bag, baby.
 
The Lean Garments ones look nice, except for the flapped chest pocket. I know that it's "trad", but it's not really my bag, baby.
I know, I don't get it when J. Press does it and I certainly don't get it on a popover. But the price is right and I've heard good things (and God bless them, the collar isn't dinky) so if I can get one, Imma pull the trigger.
 
I'm not big on sportswear but I just heard about Canuck brand Taiga and they look great. Cycling shells, merino underwear, socks, all kinds of great stuff. Like Ibex, but they seem preferable to me.
 
I'm not big on sportswear but I just heard about Canuck brand Taiga and they look great. Cycling shells, merino underwear, socks, all kinds of great stuff. Like Ibex, but they seem preferable to me.

Not bad gear. Good prices. Not the lightest, most leading edge in technology but well made and durable (at least they used to be) Pretty good packs & sleeping bags.
 
just ran across these people that make some pretty badass looking bags. anyone ever heard of them?

https://www.vermilyeapelle.com/

IMG_0922_grande.jpg


This is a super rare version of our standard Briefcase using 23oz Solid Black Japanese Pink line Japanese Selvedge Twill. Hand built using premium Horween Auburn Vegetable tanned leathers and HEAVY Japanese Selvedge. Accommodates most 15" laptops, or a 13" with a neoprene sleeve. Features a leather bottom to guarantee long wear/water resistance.



Dimensions: 15.5"L x 11.75"T x 4.5"W



-Premium Tumbled/ antiqued solid brass hardware

-Hand hammered Solid Copper Rivets

-Hand Antiqued USA Made Snaps

-23oz Japanese Selvedge Exterior and Interior Pockets

-5/6oz leather on Bag, 9/11oz Leather strap work

-#10 Solid Brass YKK zipper

IMG_1173_grande.jpg


Our dry waxed twill and Leather Briefcase. Hand built using premium Vegetable Tanned English Bridle leather and dry waxed Wheat twill. Accommodates most 15" laptops, or a 13" with some room to spare. Features a leather bottom to guarantee long wear/water resistance.



Dimensions: 15.5"L x 11.75"T x 4.5"W



-Tumbled Solid brass Hardware (patinas much nicer than Lacquer coated brass)

-Hand hammered Solid Copper Rivets

-Hand Antiqued USA Made Snaps

-18oz Twill Pre-Finishing, 22oz after Waxing/Finishing

-5/6oz leather on Bag, 11/13oz Leather strap work

-#10 Solid Brass YKK zipper

IMG_1350_a2315020-a5ec-4290-b7ee-0fd0ac976023_grande.jpg


Standard Briefcase-Heavy Olive Canvas/Reverse Snuff Mohawk
Regular price$345.00
Heavy Olive Waxed Canvas and C.F. Stead Reverse Snuff Mohawk leather STANDARD Briefcase. Hand built using premium C.F. Stead leather from England and Heavy Olive waxed canvas. Accommodates most 15" laptops. Features a leather bottom to guarantee long wear/water resistance. 100% built in house at our downtown Wenatchee WA studio.



Interior Dimensions: 15.5"L x 11.75"T x 4.5"W



-Antiqued Solid brass Hardware

-Hand hammered Solid Copper Rivets

-Hand Antiqued USA Made Snaps

-37oz Canvas

-5oz leather on Bag, 9/10oz Leather strap work

-#10 Solid Brass YKK zipper
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom