The Computer Thread - Desktops, Laptops, Windows, Mac, & Linux

Does color matter? Brand? Connection type? Size?

I prefer something in white, black or silver, but am amendable to suggestions. In the 19" range or so. The application is an external monitor for a Surface Pro 3. I am eliminating my desktop at work and consolidating machines. THe SP3 can easily run my spreadsheets and stuff I need for work while I'm on the road, so having a separate desktop is pointless. I just want a reasonable size screen to look at, and something that isn't so goddamn plastic looking as most monitors.

I prefer something in white, black or silver, but am amendable to suggestions. In the 19" range or so. The application is an external monitor for a Surface Pro 3. I am eliminating my desktop at work and consolidating machines. THe SP3 can easily run my spreadsheets and stuff I need for work while I'm on the road, so having a separate desktop is pointless. I just want a reasonable size screen to look at, and something that isn't so goddamn plastic looking as most monitors.
I don't know what's changed in monitors recently, but this Wirecutter article was updated last year:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/dell-u2412m-monitor-best-monitor/

Probably best to read all the comments as well.

If you can hold out for another month you'll probably be able to score some killer deals around Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

I use ASUS pretty exclusively for laptops and motherboards. Good stuff. They are especially proactive on BIOS updates.

What are you scanning? Documents or business cards/receipts? If it's documents you're doing to have a tougher time finding something truly portable.

It's hard to say. I understand it'll be slow but I'd lke to be able to print out 30+ pages at a time if necessary.
Oooof. And what type of documents do you need to scan? Just a drivers license here and there or a giant legal brief?

So now that Yosemite has been out for a couple of weeks, who has been using it and what are your thoughts? Download it now, wait for the update with fixes or keep on with Mavericks?

So now that Yosemite has been out for a couple of weeks, who has been using it and what are your thoughts? Download it now, wait for the update with fixes or keep on with Mavericks?
So long as your apps that you rely on have been updated I don't see any issue with updating. I haven't really used many of the features but everything seems to run smoothly.

Anyone set their Safari search engine in IOS 8 to Duck Duck Go instead of Google?

Smart man.

I finally upgraded to IOS 8 and did the same. Seems to be good, although in a test search our PC Scandal Continues does not rank as high as on Google

The new Macbook looks ridiculously sexy. 12" and 2lbs? Fuck my life.

No idea how the USB C port will work since nothing fucking uses that standard yet. Probably need some sort of adapter.

Last summer I bought a Macbook Pro to wrap up school. In October it started bugging on me. In fact, it biffed it during one of my December final exams 15 minutes in and I had to handwrite for the next three hours.

After 4-5 trips to the genius bar for new logic boards, clean erase & reinstalls, harddrive examinations, etc, and another crash on Saturday morning, stormed into my local Genius bar and demanded an exchange. No apple care, but had been in there over and over. They quietly brought me out a new MBP, which I set up today.

Last summer I bought a Macbook Pro to wrap up school. In October it started bugging on me. In fact, it biffed it during one of my December final exams 15 minutes in and I had to handwrite for the next three hours.

After 4-5 trips to the genius bar for new logic boards, clean erase & reinstalls, harddrive examinations, etc, and another crash on Saturday morning, stormed into my local Genius bar and demanded an exchange. No apple care, but had been in there over and over. They quietly brought me out a new MBP, which I set up today.
Putting that law degree to good use. Go Caesars Palace U!

Thinking about buying the new Macbook and selling my MacAir. Will have to wait to see the physical item at the store first.

I game and watch movies, but I mainly use my desktop at home since I have SLI graphics cards in the rig. My air is new and the price difference is not that much different. I will only buy if I sell my Air.

I game and watch movies, but I mainly use my desktop at home since I have SLI graphics cards in the rig. My air is new and the price difference is not that much different. I will only buy if I sell my Air.
I personally wouldn't bother if you have a new Air. Wait for revision 2 once USB-C is more widely adopted.

Have they dropped in the store already? I went to the Apple store a couple of weeks ago and didnt see anything. I am more curious to see what it looks like

From what I have read, the price point is not too bad for it. I know Apple tends to overprice its products, but the customer service is impeccable.

From what I have read, the price point is not too bad for it. I know Apple tends to overprice its products, but the customer service is impeccable.
No, its not bad. But its underpowered, and using that USB-C adapter is going to be a pain in the ass.

This is the first time I have heard USB-C. I don't use USB connection that much, so I dont know how much it will bother me.

Looked at Yoga 3 and Surface Pro3 at Bestbuy, after using windows 7 and iOS for so long, not sure if I like Windows 8 that much. I do like touch screen, which I know I am a minority.

This is the first time I have heard USB-C. I don't use USB connection that much, so I dont know how much it will bother me.

Looked at Yoga 3 and Surface Pro3 at Bestbuy, after using windows 7 and iOS for so long, not sure if I like Windows 8 that much. I do like touch screen, which I know I am a minority.
Well, there's literally nothing that uses USB-C at the moment, so you'll definitely be using the adapter.

There are other computers like the the new mbp. Apple isn't the be all and end all.

Microcenter has new not refurbished Macbook Airs for $699. A very good deal if anyone is interested.

I finally upgraded to Windows 10. I tried in the summer a few times, but ultimately it would die in the upgrade process. Since I didn't do anything to the PC, I assume the installation process has improved. I was coming from Windows 8.1. I have a very old profile from I want to say Windows Vista or XP days that I'm still carrying. I didn't know Internet Explorer isn't the preferred browser choice. I'm using Edge now. Two quibbles - they missed some keyboard shortcuts with the menu. I use Alt-F-A to get to Favourites. It's Ctrl-I. I also right click tabs I want to close and select the first option in Internet Explorer which at least by muscle memory is close. Well, here it's close all other tabs. I'm obviously driving myself mad the past 24 hours closing out all my tabs by accident.

I've been in and out of airports for the past month or two. I see a lot of people, including my friend's daughter, still using Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 - it's a free upgrade to Windows 10. Why don't people just click on it?

I finally upgraded my desktop at home to Win 10 over the last few days. I carefully made a clone to an external HD in case anything went wrong. Simultaneously working on Ms fxh's Laptop she's use at home as a desktop. Installed Win 10 straight off the net - over the top of everything existing - was away for a few hours so I cant tell you how much it rebooted etc - but I surmise it took about 3+ hours. I was glad I took time to avoid the Express set up as the default is to allow MS access to all your address books, photos, music, files map searches location etc and let THEM ORGANISE it - (FTFAJ)- and I they tell you in nearly as many words they will data mine it for pushing adverts and spam.

I had a few big problems with the right mouse button functions - until I closed it down - and rebooted and then it downloaded a whole bunch of updates. Then everything was fine.

I took a few hours extra between looking at stuff to learn a bit about it on my desktop prior to doing Ms fxh machine - as I was concerned, worried, scared shitless that when I did Ms fxh machine she would say "WTF have you done to my machine its all different - now you'll have to show me how to use it - and don't do that mansplaining thing"

So I tell her: Don't use your machine now I'm backing it up to external.
OK - she says - you are doing a lot of work -
I say: - Yes I want to get it right before I do your machine so you wont be worried
She says: What are you upgrading - not Windows 10 is it?
I say: Yes how did you know?
She says: - Oh I've been on it at work for months now - its a good system.

Walking out of room I bang my head on door accidentally at first - deliberately the next 4 times@!!!!

She says: What are you upgrading - not Windows 10 is it?
I say: Yes how did you know?
She says: - Oh I've been on it at work for months now - its a good system.

My workplace took two years to go to Windows 7. That multi year program completed last autumn. I reckon she will be using Windows 12 before I ever see Windows 10 at my firm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom