The HAT thread

When I do loose my hair I'm definitely going to need to become a hat guy - my head shape is not going to look good without hair. I figure I have another 5-10 years to get used to hats.

Watch caps. Any advice or recommendations?

Wool, acrylic blend or cashmere?

Army-Navy surplus store or something higher end?

I got one of these lovely cashmere beanies/watch caps from HenryC HenryC last winter here in Australia:

denim-donegal-hat-main1.jpg

Made by Johnstons of Elgin, it is wonderfully warm and kept my head heated when I spent some time down in freezing temperatures in Canberra.

I saw those. I prefer hats that you don't need to flip up at the bottom personally. I don't know if those are still called watch caps.

I was going to write that they must fit the head without any material being loose at the top. I guess I should have.

Anyway, I need to move away from beanie and flatcap land. The Knottery is going to release what they're calling a crusahble wool hat (with a brim) that does not appear ostenatatiously douchebaggery horrible. I need a fucking grown up hat. I don't want to look like I wish it was 1955. I've thought about bucket hats, but they're no improvement over a beanie/skully/watchcap with an overcoat.

get one of these. see, no flipped up rim!
1430885506330.jpg

That donegal looks very nice to me, but why pay $100+ for a hat when you could buy a Military Issue cap for like $10 at a surplus store?

You mean something like this?

pharrell-grammys-hat.jpg

That fellow is all hat.
The Ant Hill Mob

Quite a few good looks in this thread. It takes a real skill to choose the right type of hat for the right type of person. Many look silly in hats when they choose badly, but some men look great in hats.

I must confess that l have always wanted to wear a really tall top hat but have never had the opportunity. I once saw this young bloke wearing a top hat with jeans and a trench coat once.

Last edited:
I remember l did the 70's police detective look once with those classic hats they used to wear with a brown suit. It was a real hoot. I played it up like l owned the place and really put a smile on everyone's face in a good way.

I'll probably just pick-up a cheap GI navy wool watch cap to see if I actually wear it, before investing in something nice.

With that said, I love the look of that tweed blue cashmere watch cap that Price posted above.

Other options I'm digging are these two:

The Janus watch cap

Dachstein wool ski caps

HenryC HenryC is this the same hat you sell?
Yep same one but I've only got the crimson one left now. I kept an olive one for myself and they really are great. JoE make some of the best cashmere in the world.
I had them for $125AUD which is a bit cheaper than 100USD at present and they are worth the money imo

They seem without texture. Sort of flat, lifeless.

It is unlike other wool products you will find. It has a dense, matted texture because it is fulled and boiled. Not completely dissimilar from felting of wool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom