The HAT thread

I do not like either guns, nor elves. I imagine gun toting elves would frighten the shit out of me.
Weren't you just saying you needed a new holster?

Or am I confussing you with some other gun toting nut?

image.jpeg
So last Houston winter was so mild I hardly wore a jacket, let alone beanie. Now I'm considering this one.

image.jpeg

Under $25 shipped. It has some pattern to it and not drab, yet still versatile. If it us Filson it won't be total crap construction and material.

I could also get it in red, but that might look odd with oxblood leather jacket.

Last edited:
If I was getting a watch cap/beanie, I'd prefer to get one without branding.

Do Filson offer one in navy or a sort of blue marle colour? If so, that's the one that I'd go for.

Properly described, it is not a beanie, it is watch cap. Both can be knitted but the beanie does not have the upturned roll.

Beanie is only juvenile in this form:

image.jpeg

I commented earlier in this thread that beaver pelts have become cheap. They're now dirt cheap: Average price $8.
Yet I see hats made from beaver fur felt costing about $250 more than equivalent hats made from rabbit fur felt. Did 31 beavers have to die to make one hat? Seems unlikely, and the pelts used to make the rabbit fur felt would have cost something.

Last edited:
Every animal product seems to be going up in price. Suede, leather, cordovan. A decent suede jacket retails for £1000 now. A few years ago it was £500

^But furs (pelts) have become much cheaper even the past few years. Possibly the anti-fur movement is reducing demand by a lot. Anyway, I got this information off a trapping forum, in which the participants are bemoaning the fact that trapping animals for pelts is ceasing to become lucrative and is now pursued pretty much as a hobby. Of course this is quite abhorrent to urban sensibilities, and frankly even I have a problem trapping animals with steel leghold traps just for the fun or "sport" of it.

Go to a surplus store and buy a military wool hat for $12.

get the fuck out of here.

Would I lie to you? A knit hat for people who really don't need knit hats for anything but posing

Might be funny thought to see condensation rising out of the hole in cold conditions.

Would I lie to you? A knit hat for people who really don't need knit hats for anything but posing

Might be funny thought to see condensation rising out of the hole in cold conditions.
What is the ostensible purpose of this utility pocket?

I have a pathological averersion to Americans and their baseball hats. Straw fedoras look like bald people's affections.

I wish there were another summer hat option

I wear a Panama or similar in summer. I've got a hat that I bought in Japan that looks very similar to a Panama hat but is actually made out of woven, recycled paper. It's great - perhaps surprisingly, it's extremely durable (although I'm not sure about getting it wet!) and it can be crumpled, twisted, folded and it returns to its original shape without any problems.

I've also got a couple of linen flat caps that I picked up from Uniqlo six or seven years ago that are great to wear in summer, although admittedly they don't provide that much shade from the sun.

I saw a guy today wearing a Panama hat and not looking like an effete bald twat.

For me, it’s just be another thing to lose when I take it off. Plus I don’t like losing that bit of peripheral vision. Sunglasses and sunscreen are ok with me, since I’m not planning on being in direct sun for any length of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom