TLDR: If state governments are allowed to regulate this, autonomy will be decreased. It’s as simple as that. Governments, at any level, should not tell people what to do with their bodies unless it causes clear harm to others (as would be the case in a viable fetus, in which case it would be unreasonable to suggest it does not warrant personhood). Right now, the federal government reduces regulation on this issue. Delegating it to the states will increase regulation.
One of the factors I consider (and the one being discussed here) in whether something should be a municipal, state, or federal level policy is by asking myself: if adopted at X level, will individual autonomy be increased or decreased? I don’t really care about city autonomy or state autonomy. The whole state’s rights thing is stupid to me. People have rights, not geopolitical entities. Will individual autonomy be increased or decreased. If the federal government says, “governments cannot regulate a woman’s body in this matter,” then autonomy is less infringed upon. If the federal government says “states can decide whether they infringe upon female autonomy,” then autonomy will be more infringed upon. Just like federal government shouldn’t be the default answer given by Democrat types, state government shouldn’t be the default answer given by Republican types. Sometimes the answer is less government, not different government.
If we place a high premium on individual autonomy—with the condition in not then infringed upon the well-being of others—our starting point should be no government and we work our way from there. Right now, the federal government has it set up so that governments (state and federal) don’t get involved in women’s bodies on this issue. With this new Supreme Court, I suspect it’ll become just the federal government won’t get involved, but state governments are free to do so.
For issues that are unique to each state, I prefer states to have more say than federal government. For issues that pertain to our bodies, no government should have a say. Ironically enough, in this case, it’s the federal government preventing increased regulation. So, ironically enough, I find myself pro-federal government on this issue. Were state governments not likely to get themselves involved, I’d feel differently. But we know that at least half the states are going to move to regulate women’s bodies.