Aging: That Harsh Mistress

Zé Ferreira

JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJJA
I don't get it, but in the last month and a half, my recovery from strenuous physical activity requires an extra day or so. I used to be able to do heavy weights on a two day split, twice a week. Now I'm needing to spread the work out. Running my 5-6 mile route leaves me feeling wiped. And despite putting work in, I still seem to be getting incrementally softer.

Rant here about getting older, both currently and in retrospect. Gripe, reflect, postulate. The good and the bad.

Yeah, why does ear hair and suddenly bushy eyebrows appear.

Eyesight is starting to decay. Have noticed a bit of decreased strength. Balance is something one has to pay attention to as we age. Worth doing balance training.

Every men's health article I've read subsequent to these developments has said flexibility is the first thing to go as you move through 30.

Every men's health article I've read subsequent to these developments has said flexibility is the first thing to go as you move through 30.
I've already told you about your eyesight.

Did you check on the search visibility yet?

Recovery. It goes away. I've hurt more things exercising going through my 30's than I ever would have imagined, and all the serious injuries of my youth are starting to remind me they are there.

Grey hairs in my beard and my eyes getting worse.

Butt hairs! I have to wipe my arse twice as much to avoid leaving Klingons and race stripes in my undies.

Still no physical or strength issues.

Short arm still rises to any occasion and goes the distance, any and every time. Praise the lord.

Hair in ears. And hair on back, despite a round of laser, has continued to develop. The chick said it's hormonal changes with age.

Gray hair on the beard.

Can't stay hard as long as I used to.

Memory isn't as good.

I needed to get the numbers off the back of my iphone the other week and couldn't see them.

I'm also developing that old man rise from a chair look when I stand, even though nothing is slow, stiff or hurts. I suspect this is psychological.

Despite all of this, so glad I'm not a millennial.

I'm also developing that old man rise from a chair look when I stand, even though nothing is slow, stiff or hurts. I suspect this is psychological.

I thankfully have great eyesight still, but this. I suspect it has to do with the fact I broke my back twice when I was younger though.

Short term memory is definitely a pain, long term is ok, which I gather is the usual.

I thankfully have great eyesight still, but this. I suspect it has to do with the fact I broke my back twice when I was younger though.

Short term memory is definitely a pain, long term is ok, which I gather is the usual.

Goddam.

Never broken a bone.

I've not yet capped 30, and was noticing the flecks of grey throuought my (head) hair. Good new is no baldness running in the family though

Ugh. I used to pride myself on arising from a seated position exclusively using strong leg and abdominal muscles. I'm losing that and starting to do the slow unstabile codger thing.

I used to speed around while driving, and have toned down a bunch. I'm unsure what the combination of lessened reflexes, lowered testosterone, increased awareness of fragility and mortality and maturity is.

Little scrapes, cuts, bruises, all takes much longer to heal.

I don't feel any less strong, but I still catch myself making Old Man Noises when I sit down and get up.

I play in five soccer leagues and one basketball league. The injuries add up and getting out of bed to go to work the next day is fucking agony. I feel hungover. And my lateral quickness is nonexistent. I've become a defensive liability in basketball, which used to be my strong suit.

Hair loss and getting hair in other places (nose) is bad. I haven't a clue given my ancestry why I get in grown facial hair from time to time. I think the minoxidil I am using is encouraging other hair growth.

I'm not nearly as athletic as you folks so I don't realise I have much in terms of physical limitations. I still slouch in my chair, hunch over a bar, cross my legs in meetings. I do notice I can't sit in a sofa all weekend anymore. I have this i-band issue that flares up in my right knee from time to time but nothing like a round of golf or time away from the office won't solve. It's how I sit and my shoulder imbalance. I ought to stretch.

I rarely exercise. Maybe that's why I'm out of breath walking up three office floors. I should stop smoking.

I do a good deal of walking. I used to be the fastest but ever since I started investing in proper leather sole shoes, I walk at my own pace, which is still a bit faster than everyone else.

Memory isn't as sharp but since I had robotic photographic memory before I'm still running circles around my peers. Where it's failing is remembering movies and actors. I used to be better than imdb.

There's a line that I see in the mornings where my cheeks are - scary.

Eyes don't sparkle as much. That's noticeable in the few photographs I have from a decade ago. I can only go on two consecutive bender nights before turning in at Cinderella time on the third.

Hmm - okay, my driving distance in golf is shorter but I'm more consistent now.

I have to admit that sex takes longer and I'm not aroused by a female plant anymore like I was back in my uni days.

I used to be attracted to anything female...could even be a plant and I'd have an erection.

You have to work to seduce me into one now and it may involve intelligent things coming out of one's mouth. It could be psychological - I'm very dismissive of things and people that waste my time now. But I reckon that's a good thing? Efficiency in old age.

Mid-back - yeah that's what I get watching all the NFL games on a Sunday.

Oh sleep. I can't sleep 8 hours. I can't even sleep 6 hours without waking up at the 3 or 4 hour mark. I end up going 4 or 5 hours every day and then taking one nap on the weekend like a senile invalid.

I used to be able to drink a river and sleep through the night. Now, even 4-5 oz of water before bed and I'm getting up in the middle of the night having to pee like a racehorse.

I really, really don't mean to get on my high horse here, BUT, I am continually amazed at many hours of his life the young(ish) American male wastes sitting on a couch watching athletic men hit each other. And it's the weekend, the time where you don't have to work. Your free time. And you're using it to sit on the couch. And spare me the social argument, I haven't watched an NFL game since the Super Bowl where David Tyre made that really good catch, but I still keep up-to-date through Sports Radio and a quick read of the headlines. For fuck's sake, are you going to be on your deathbed saying "I REALLY wish I had seen the 2015 Pro Bowl? Team Irvin's victory was just epic!" (no, I didn't watch it either, so I don't know which team won, my apologies if it was Team Carter).

You're going to be old, feeble, and decrepit before you know it. Why waste your good years?

Yeah, that whole televised sports thing has worn thin with me. Unless it's part of a social gathering (super bowl party), and then I'm there for the cameraderie.

Other than the nose hair / ear hair business, I'm doing well and feel better than I did at 21 (running injuries notwithstanding but those happen to all ages), and I'm doing far better on the hair front than I originally feared. I sleep very well (in a recliner), and they haven't taken my license to drive yet. Now get off my lawn,

I watch the NFL with my father. It's the only time of the week I spend with him. In between during the adverts we discuss things - work, life, my mother, etc. So for me the 7 hours is worth it.

I've been watching it with him since I was a wee lad who fell asleep in front of Monday Night Football before first quarter ended. In the summer we golf.

I watch college football and Premier League. If the Sox are worth a shit I'll watch baseball.

I was scammed by the NHL so I no longer watch sports. I just Internet stalk players, GM's and cheerleaders of all pro teams because I know they are in league with the demounted, tacky scamming fagmen of the NHL

Thruth Thruth Explain your distaste for the NHL. My dad has gotten into the sport, and while I never independently enjoyed it, I now appreciate hockey games for many of the same reasons Fwiffo Fwiffo mentioned above.

I did yoga today. Good lord

I watch the NFL with my father. It's the only time of the week I spend with him. In between during the adverts we discuss things - work, life, my mother, etc. So for me the 7 hours is worth it.

I've been watching it with him since I was a wee lad who fell asleep in front of Monday Night Football before first quarter ended. In the summer we golf.

I don't talk to my dad much... we watch soccer.

Yoga is for people who watch their fiber intake.

And I struggle with downward dog. It looks SO easy, too

Thruth Thruth Explain your distaste for the NHL. My dad has gotten into the sport, and while I never independently enjoyed it, I now appreciate hockey games for many of the same reasons Fwiffo Fwiffo mentioned above.

I did yoga today. Good lord

My distaste is not quite to the level expressed in the above post; I was channeling another member.

However, the 2012 lockout i found to be distasteful on both ownership and the players' side. You have a sporting league with a shit ass US TV contract so there is not big US exposure yet salaries as astronomical.

Gary Bettman as commissioner is a total tool. The arizona Coyotes debacle - sale, no sale; moving, not moving - was and is stupid.

Worst place for a hockey team. You have a nice rink, free parking and an empty house. Went to a game there and of course you have to drive to hell and gone to get to Glendale. The had remote control mini-blimps that drop free tickets for the next game. Sad.

More US expansion before expansion in a Canadia? The rinks will be filled here. No, maybe Vegas. How about fucking Hamilton where people from Toronto will drive to see a game because the Leafs are always sold out even though they have sucked bag since 1967.

This year's all-star game: 17-12. Seriously? Why even play with scores that ghey.

Hockey is a great game but the business end of it has fucked it up.

My distaste is not quite to the level expressed in the above post; I was channeling another member.

However, the 2012 lockout i found to be distasteful on both ownership and the players' side. You have a sporting league with a shit ass US TV contract so there is not big US exposure yet salaries as astronomical.

Gary Bettman as commissioner is a total tool. The arizona Coyotes debacle - sale, no sale; moving, not moving - was and is stupid.

Worst place for a hockey team. You have a nice rink, free parking and an empty house. Went to a game there and of course you have to drive to hell and gone to get to Glendale. The had remote control mini-blimps that drop free tickets for the next game. Sad.

More US expansion before expansion in a Canadia? The rinks will be filled here. No, maybe Vegas. How about fucking Hamilton where people from Toronto will drive to see a game because the Leafs are always sold out even though they have sucked bag since 1967.

This year's all-star game: 17-12. Seriously? Why even play with scores that ghey.

Hockey is a great game but the business end of it has fucked it up.

Its difficult to televise, which really limits its ability to expand.

Plus Bettman was a total clown.

it's not that it is difficult to televise, it is the belief that it is hard to televise and people won't get into it. Only America would come up with the idea that you have to enhance the puck with colours and swooshes. Remember that?

I guess it takes getting used to for the non-traditional fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom