Agreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

Maybe. Another option is that I dont carry around like a pompous asshole thinking I am the end-all-be-all of Style, and instead enjoy playing with it? Just a thought.

Seriously though - conversations are much more enjoyable and better mannered when you caveat pompous generalizations with a healthy “In my humble opinion”. Try it. Might find it works wonders for you.
There is nothing wrong with playing. But there is a time and place for it as I am sure you know.

Maybe. Another option is that I dont carry around like a pompous asshole thinking I am the end-all-be-all of Style, and instead enjoy playing with it? Just a thought.

Seriously though - conversations are much more enjoyable and better mannered when you caveat pompous generalizations with a healthy “In my humble opinion”. Try it. Might find it works wonders for you.
No one got anywhere by being humble.
Ask Jeff Bezos. Did your Father not teach you that or were you too busy playing with him if you know what I mean.

No one got anywhere by being humble.
Ask Jeff Bezos. Did your Father not teach you that or were you too busy playing with him if you know what I mean.

No, my dad did not agree with that statement. However if he had, he would have been unable to teach me - your mother was being too loud, you see.

No, my dad did not agree with that statement. However if he had, he would have been unable to teach me - your mother was being too loud, you see.
I understand there is a lot of trapped air in the deceased. So it probably wasn't excitement.

I have to agree with those who say Niven looks bad with those cheap looking satin ties matching his shirts. It's curious, as he dressed well in earlier films I've seen him in. Perhaps it was just the set stylist elevating him in his case.

Very few movie stars look great outside of the influence of a fashion stylist. There are many examples such as Sean Connery. An icon as Bond, but scruffy and balding in real life.
The balding bit is a low blow. You often can't control for that, but you can control for looking like a slob, as Connery unfortunately did in later years, despite clearly knowing better.

The balding bit is a low blow. You often can't control for that, but you can control for looking like a slob, as Connery unfortunately did in later years, despite clearly knowing better.
It's not a low blow, he was required to wear hair pieces in movies. Yet he embraced his baldness when giving interviews etc. Did he look unkempt at 80 odd, yes. But he acknowledged when in his forties he really didn't care for nice clothes. He really didn't enjoy spending money.

I have to agree with those who say Niven looks bad with those cheap looking satin ties matching his shirts. It's curious, as he dressed well in earlier films I've seen him in. Perhaps it was just the set stylist elevating him in his case.
He was dressing of and for the time. He doesn't look bad, it just looks a bit dated.

I posted them to show an example of matching tie with shirt completely.

Good or bad, it is what it is.

As also posted, he was absolutely the epitome of the classic English gent in Death on The Nile released 1977.

Christ, every one of you for the past page and a half are face meltingly idiotic.

ok, let’s restart and try again. I think the idea of having a board to discuss style is to offer ideas and ensembles and share and discuss subjective views of those. Assuming that there are universal, written-in-stone rules no one should deviate from take all the fun out of it, and frankly negate the reason for having a board in the first place.
I would want to believe we all know those rules, but if we all dress in gray flannels and blue blazers, the conversation will get dull rather quickly.
So I’d suggest that we continue offering ideas, and commenting them on a subjective basis, rather than negating them based on said universal rules?

I’ll start: I think denim and tweed (or denim and tailored jacket) have a time and a place in informal settings - ideal if you are weekend strolling in the city, or being a tourist somewhere. You don’t need to be more formal, and sometimes you just rather not to, to avoid unwanted attention, and still you stay stylish and well put together.

Me in Napoli, 2 years ago or so. Panico cashmere jacket, momotaro jeans.
1626630821720.jpeg

Not that he was by any means poorly paid. Goldfinger, the third 007 film, would go on to earn £14 million, a phenomenal sum of money at the time. Connery was on 5 per cent of the net profit as well as a fat signing-on fee.

Even so the frugal Scotsman could not bring himself to spend the huge riches he had so quickly acquired.

While on screen as Bond he wore handmade Savile Row suits and drove an Aston Martin, in real life Connery refused to spend his cash on anything but scruffy trousers and durable shirts he bought in discount shops.

I was replying to Belimad here and he has subsequently behaved very rudely and childishly and vandalised my posts and those of others. Could I request that readers be aware of this?
Dude, you’ve been passive-aggressively attacking me since I posted the picture of my safari jacket 2 days ago. If you dish it, then learn to take it.

It's not a low blow, he was required to wear hair pieces in movies. Yet he embraced his baldness when giving interviews etc. Did he look unkempt at 80 odd, yes. But he acknowledged when in his forties he really didn't care for nice clothes. He really didn't enjoy spending money.
I was never a Connery fan but with such success he was clearly a special person.

All of those denim looks are terrible, imo. It never works with tailored clothing. Anything beyond a T-shirt or work shirt looks ridiculous and affected, probably because the people who sport the look in the pics all have jobs that don't require manual labor, for which men originally wore jeans and still do.

It strikes me that denim becomes of interest to certain igents after a burnout period with classic menswear, in which they're seeking after a similar rush they can no longer find with 7fold ties, $1k shoos, etc.

Last edited:
ok, let’s restart and try again. I think the idea of having a board to discuss style is to offer ideas and ensembles and share and discuss subjective views of those. Assuming that there are universal, written-in-stone rules no one should deviate from take all the fun out of it, and frankly negate the reason for having a board in the first place.
I would want to believe we all know those rules, but if we all dress in gray flannels and blue blazers, the conversation will get dull rather quickly.
So I’d suggest that we continue offering ideas, and commenting them on a subjective basis, rather than negating them based on said universal rules?

I’ll start: I think denim and tweed (or denim and tailored jacket) have a time and a place in informal settings - ideal if you are weekend strolling in the city, or being a tourist somewhere. You don’t need to be more formal, and sometimes you just rather not to, to avoid unwanted attention, and still you stay stylish and well put together.

View attachment 39849
Omg! You are an old man. Why do you still talk like a silly boy?

All those denim looks are terrible, imo. It never works with tailored clothing. Anything beyond a T-shirt or work shirt looks ridiculous and affected, probably because the people who sport this look all have jobs that don't require manual labor, for which men originally wore jeans and still do.

It strikes me that denim becomes of interest to certain igents after a burnout period with classic menswear, in which they're seeking after a similar rush they can no longer find with 7fold ties, $1k shoos, etc.
Interesting.

Not that he was by any means poorly paid. Goldfinger, the third 007 film, would go on to earn £14 million, a phenomenal sum of money at the time. Connery was on 5 per cent of the net profit as well as a fat signing-on fee.

Even so the frugal Scotsman could not bring himself to spend the huge riches he had so quickly acquired.

While on screen as Bond he wore handmade Savile Row suits and drove an Aston Martin, in real life Connery refused to spend his cash on anything but scruffy trousers and durable shirts he bought in discount shops.

Okay. He was a scrooge. My points were that you can be bald and still dress well and that Connery knew how even if he chose not to.

I think denim looks like shit when paired with tailoring because 99% of the time the wearer looks like they originally planned to wear proper trousers with the outfit, but then their internal teenager panicked about looking too “stuffy”.

Hence the result often seems like affected dress-up play. Bonus points for unnatural/awkward poses with the fits, and of course the classic iGent expressions.

A variation of this shit is wearing a t-shirt with a tailored jacket.

I think denim looks like shit when paired with tailoring because 99% of the time the wearer looks like they originally planned to wear proper trousers with the outfit, but then their internal teenager panicked about looking too “stuffy”.

Hence the result often seems like affected dress-up play. Bonus points for unnatural/awkward poses with the fits, and of course the classic iGent expressions.

Yes. Affected dress up play is sadly how it looks sometimes. Yet at other times it just looks cheap and lacking any class at all.

I was never a Connery fan but with such success he was clearly a special person.
He wasn't the best Bond, but he was a talented actor with some notable films that I admire e.g. The Hill, The Man Who Would Be King, Highlander, etc.

The generation he's from had a certain tightness forged from hard times. An example, that I noted from my parents, is that they would never ever dream of using hotel laundry services. Even thought they could well afford it. It was an affront to them.
There does seem a definite trend in that, now that they're all working from home and can slob out.

Agreed. It looks shite.

View attachment 39849
This is the prototype of "i'd like to be smart and casual"
If you like it, go for it. But don't complain if others say it's not good. On the other hand, it's still better than many others...
Anyway, jeans and jackets dont fit together.

If you like it, go for it. But don't complain if others say it's not good. On the other hand, it's still better than many others...
Nor in the mix, do silk scarves, you can't be all things to all styles and/or men.

Be 100% distinctive at all times where it matters. Differentiate yourself from the herd.

Oh, is that what it is, an attempt to be smart and casual?

I suppose it's a failed attempt. And looking at that pic perhaps it could be because of too many badly picked bits that have gone into the attempt.

Nor in the mix, do silk scarves, you can't be all things to all styles and/or men.

Be 100% distinctive at all times where it matters. Differentiate yourself from the herd.
Indeed. I mean I get it - one wants to be presentable/stylish in their spare time, but doesn't want to go full Tibor and wear white tie and tails to an ice cream parlour. Nevertheless, one cannot totally avoid playing dress up because 99.5% of other people will be in t-shirts and athleisure anyway. So it's more of a question of picking a coherent look that stands out, but is still relatively casual/functional.

Jeans are workwear. If one is hell-bent on wearing them, on the lower end of formality you can have things like work boots, flannel shirts, and M-65 jackets. If one wants to look less rugged, bluchers/boots, OCBD, and maybe a suede jacket.

So I've already stated that I don't cotton to a sportcoat with jeans but that is just my issue and the world is full of people who don't hold to my opinion. Top one is better because of the boldness of the pattern, the chunkiness of the roll neck and the watch cap. Hopefully there are chunkier shoes or boots.

The bottom one is just bad because of the pre-chewed rips and dainty shoes. Don't like the collar outside on the crew neck.

Horse for courses. YMMV.

View attachment 39849
I'll say this: colour and texture are agreeable. Your footwear matches what you should be wearing with denim. No rolled hem. The cap adds and does not detract. Better done than most of the pics in the preceding post. If someone was going do this, yours is a good example of how one could. Not to mention that it seems you've chosen a denim cut that works for you.

This all started with a pic of this guy: seems less cohesive than your outfit. Maybe I dislike it because of his fruity pose versus street scene with you. But I also don't like the cut of his denim. Most likely faux tweed but whatever. Maybe too smooth a finish to the jacket. The monks are just fail with the cuffed denim. While the bits and pieces seem like they should work together it just comes across as discordant.

So if one does it well, I can appreciate that even if it is not my deal.

1626635244068.png

Jeans and sartorial jackets dont work together. Jeans are workwear. Pair it with T-Shirts, flanell shirts, Polos or knitwear.
that is the place I come from on this issue. Alternative non-sartorial jacket I find works better with pieces that as you say are workwear.

There should be an age limit on blue denim jeans. On black jeans, I think you can add twenty years to the age limit. I haven't worn black jeans in 20 years, but I have considered it. Blue denim? No way, even Jeremy Clarkson can no longer pull it off.
Clarkson has a big bottom end and has never chosen denim that makes him look anything like he knows anything about denim regardless of when.

Never black Jeans
I've never understood black denim. Never had black denim. Or wanted it. Frankly there are all kinds of indigo denim with other casts and dyes that make it interesting. I don't have to wear black denim to go to an Iron Maiden concert. There are enough teen metalheads doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom