Agreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

I've always wondered what the great Sartos opinion on Inglese vs. Cordone shirts it. Maybe Lumpen can ask him

I'm not Sarto, but I've got one Cordone shirt and quite a few Inglese shirts.

Inglese is much better, in my opinion. More expensive, but I prefer the look and feel of the Inglese collar and also prefer the overall look (although that is, of course, subjective). Also, the Cordone shirt uses ridiculously thick mother-of-pearl buttons that are so thick they are hard to button, which is rather off-putting.

A couple of Inglese photos:

tumblr_n693a1ZCfR1ssnv3so4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n693a1ZCfR1ssnv3so6_1280.jpg

I'm not Sarto, but I've got one Cordone shirt and quite a few Inglese shirts.

Inglese is much better, in my opinion. More expensive, but I prefer the look and feel of the Inglese collar and also prefer the overall look (although that is, of course, subjective). Also, the Cordone shirt uses ridiculously thick mother-of-pearl buttons that are so thick they are hard to button, which is rather off-putting.

A couple of Inglese photos:

tumblr_n693a1ZCfR1ssnv3so4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n693a1ZCfR1ssnv3so6_1280.jpg

Beautiful shirt. Lovely hand-stitching.

Last edited:
To go back to another topic from earlier in the thread, I know Ethan a little - we met a couple of times in real life when he worked for an Australian clothing company called Herringbone and we chatted on the phone and via text message occasionally for a while. Before he left Australia to work at The Armoury in HK, he sent me a box of stuff that included a few suits, some shirts and ties and a few other things that he didn't want to take to HK with him.

I always found him to be a very nice bloke and very thoughtful and considered. I didn't always agree with his clothing/stylistic choices once he joined The Armoury - the sockless loafers, clip-on braces and deliberately-twisted tie were all a bit over-the-top iGent for my liking - but Ethan explained that he was just having fun and enjoying the clothes, and that clothing shouldn't be taken seriously.

I haven't visited Bryceland's in Tokyo as yet and, as with his time at The Armoury, Ethan's outfits in his online photos aren't always what I personally would choose to wear. However, I am absolutely sure that if you ever visit Bryceland's, Ethan will be very gracious, friendly and helpful and will give great advice.

View attachment 40511

Besides the nice colour combination I like how the wide lapel gently rolls. Moreover I find the jacket length, somewhat greater than a usual Neapolitan one, very appropriate for this relaxed look. Outfit from Yeossal.
Excellent outfit. One of the best I have seen in a long time.

To go back to another topic from earlier in the thread, I know Ethan a little - we met a couple of times in real life when he worked for an Australian clothing company called Herringbone and we chatted on the phone and via text message occasionally for a while. Before he left Australia to work at The Armoury in HK, he sent me a box of stuff that included a few suits, some shirts and ties and a few other things that he didn't want to take to HK with him.

I always found him to be a very nice bloke and very thoughtful and considered. I didn't always agree with his clothing/stylistic choices once he joined The Armoury - the sockless loafers, clip-on braces and deliberately-twisted tie were all a bit over-the-top iGent for my liking - but Ethan explained that he was just having fun and enjoying the clothes, and that clothing shouldn't be taken seriously.

I haven't visited Bryceland's in Tokyo as yet and, as with his time at The Armoury, Ethan's outfits in his online photos aren't always what I personally would choose to wear. However, I am absolutely sure that if you ever visit Bryceland's, Ethan will be very gracious, friendly and helpful and will give great advice.
I agree. Ethan is someone who from time to time wears very eccentric outfits, but usually makes everything work because he always appears like he's having a great time. Nothing is ever forced - his clothes are his own.

Last edited:

Good stuff Jman

It looks like two halves put together. The top half v's the lighter lower half. He needs darker brown shoes and different socks to tie it all together.

What you say is correct: dark brown shoes with medium blue or navy socks would be the canonical match. Though I think that it's nice sometimes to break the rules, provided that it's done the right way.

Indeed. That’s my experience with Ethan as well. Met him a bunch of times in Tokyo and London. He is one cool cat, and very clear in that he is in it for the fun and enjoyment of clothing.

Also, the Cordone shirt uses ridiculously thick mother-of-pearl buttons that are so thick they are hard to button, which is rather off-putting.

That's interesting. I only have one of their shirts, but the buttons are typical from what I have across all my other shirts which range from H&H bespoke to say Finamore for casual.

I do have a Tommy Bahama linen shirt from years ago that has the mega thick buttons, it's awful.

Not so fond of tuxedos and smoking jackets, and generally of dress codes, but this green velvet jacket looks very nice to me. Also nice match with the grey trousers.

Screenshot (521).png

I applaud the rising belt line in casual menswear. Less keen on silly hats though.

Not a fan. I hate work wear on guys whose hands are smoother than a baby's bottom.
My father worked outdoors all his life as a carpenter and farmer. In Australia’s harsh sun. His hands were butter smooth and soft. Not a callous anywhere. Mine are the same. It’s genetic.

My father worked outdoors all his life as a carpenter and farmer. In Australia’s harsh sun. His hands were butter smooth and soft. Not a callous anywhere. Mine are the same. It’s genetic.
I concur 100%. My grandfather was likewise a manual labourer (mechanic), and his hands were smooth to the point of the skin being shiny. It's genetics and nutrition.

Same for my grandfather. We always assumed it was the lanolin from handing sheep on the farm. Plus he wore work gloves when needed.

Last edited:
It's an expression about someone who doesn't engage in hard labor. I doubt the Asian fellow installs gutters or fixes pipes for a living.

Brown and grey is one of my favorite colour matches.

Screenshot (559).png

Screenshot (560).png
Screenshot (561).png

On the left, buttoned canonically as a 6x2, on the right, as a 6x1. Possibly the jacket is a tad too snug, so that the odd buttoning on the lower button gives a more relaxed appearence.

Very nice, well matching necktie. Probably I would prefer a light blue shirt with a spread collar, but, all in all, it's a very good outfit.

Last edited:
Never been a fan of black, as it, besides with white and cream in the evening formal clothing, does not match well with other colours and patterns.
I have to admit however that I'm appreciating more and more as black combines with beige. I think that also black and brown could be good.

I like these clean puristic outfits with just few tones, not really my style, but very agreeable.

Screenshot (572).png
Screenshot (573).png

For a few years there I don’t think I owned a thing in black. Now I’m starting to like the color when mixed in with mostly earthy/warmer tones. I may start dating a much younger PA in the future.

Pretty basic, but nice proof that the Barbour jacket can be more than Laird of the Glenn cosplay.

Having your belt, shoes and jacket leathers match exactly is overrated.

Last edited:
Pretty basic, but nice proof that the Barbour jacket can be more than Laird of the Glenn cosplay.

Disagree. They are horrible garments worn because their associations. There are more attractive options to keep out the rain and chill winds.

Muffy Saltwater would like it though, along with anything sold by Cordings or her favourite Scottish knitwear companies.

I would even say that it's wrong, like having tie and pocket square in the same fabric.
It depends on the outfit, in my opinion. If all (brown shaded) leather items match each other perfectly, it can scream OCD or trying too hard in casual fits such as the one Dropbear Dropbear posted. Also applies to matching metals.

However, it can also give a more streamlined and polished look when done in a more formal/business casual context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom