Agreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

It depends on the outfit, in my opinion. If all (brown shaded) leather items match each other perfectly, it can scream OCD or trying too hard in casual fits such as the one Dropbear Dropbear posted. Also applies to matching metals.

However, it can also give a more streamlined and polished look when done in a more formal/business casual context.

I would always prefer different shades or textures. Some shoemakers offer belts in the same leather as the shoes: never an option for me.
 
This looks like a reverse matching of the outfit posted recently above. By the way, as the posters says, the jacket is part of a suit. This maybe answers Ambrosius08 Ambrosius08 's question, if you can match a suit jacket with odd trousers. You can, it's a matter of colours and textures.

Screenshot (581).webp
Screenshot (582).webp
 
This looks like a reverse matching of the outfit posted recently above. By the way, as the posters says, the jacket is part of a suit. This maybe answers Ambrosius08 Ambrosius08 's question, if you can match a suit jacket with odd trousers. You can, it's a matter of colours and textures.

View attachment 40723View attachment 40724

This doesn't work at all. Top and Bottom don't mesh as they look like the makings of two disparate outfits: the top is obviously part of a suit.

If I saw him on the street, I'd think some accident befell his matching trousers.
 
This looks like a reverse matching of the outfit posted recently above. By the way, as the posters says, the jacket is part of a suit. This maybe answers Ambrosius08 Ambrosius08 's question, if you can match a suit jacket with odd trousers. You can, it's a matter of colours and textures.

View attachment 40723View attachment 40724
Prince of Wales check can work as separates. However that means the really classic PoW with a blue or red overcheck - not a vaguely PoW cloth that is more subdued grey or navy in appearance.
 
That suit fabric could also work as a seperate jacket. If it were a two button suit with patch pockets, for example, I could see the jacket pairing separately with some charcoal or navy trousers.
 
This looks like a reverse matching of the outfit posted recently above. By the way, as the posters says, the jacket is part of a suit. This maybe answers Ambrosius08 Ambrosius08 's question, if you can match a suit jacket with odd trousers. You can, it's a matter of colours and textures.

View attachment 40723View attachment 40724
I don’t think this outfit works. DB sport coats are hard to pull off to begin with, and this just looks weird. It’s a mix-match of formal and casual pieces, and gives the impression the wearer has no clue what he is doing.

“High-roller businessman” cosplay by someone whose style is artificial, instead of a naturally emerged expression of their personality and upbringing.
 
I don’t think this outfit works. DB sport coats are hard to pull off to begin with, and this just looks weird. It’s a mix-match of formal and casual pieces, and gives the impression the wearer has no clue what he is doing.

“High-roller businessman” cosplay by someone whose style is artificial, instead of a naturally emerged expression of their personality and upbringing.
Its just not coordinated is it? Its all down to the wrong colours you see. Textures seem ok, looking at the positives.
 
Its just not coordinated is it? Its all down to the wrong colours you see. Textures seem ok, looking at the positives.
The main problem is that this guy is trying way too hard.

If I remember correctly, he’s an ordinary accountant in a biz-casual office in Helsinki. And here he is, yet again, in an outfit that Sven Raphael Schneider himself would approve of.
 
Disagree. They are horrible garments worn because their associations. There are more attractive options to keep out the rain and chill winds.

Muffy Saltwater would like it though, along with anything sold by Cordings or her favourite Scottish knitwear companies.
Have you ever noticed how much you sweat in a Barbour?

I've three Barbour's of different styles and to me they're a more a casual country take on a raincoat. More a necessity than a style statement.

Didn't know Muffy was into Cordings. It's quite awhile since I've been on her blog. All the stuff about pretending to be
from the Pilgrim Fathers, enough to change names, or whatever it was, put me off.

This doesn't work at all. Top and Bottom don't mesh as they look like the makings of two disparate outfits: the top is obviously part of a suit.

If I saw him on the street, I'd think some accident befell his matching trousers.
Definitely, but he has the right male model look and disinterested, yet studied pose.
 
OBVS...navy trousers or charcoal would have been the way to go with a bit more interest in the tie. That said I'd have perfered him without the beard and in a short black mini dress, with a bit of lippy on but thats a personal thing.
 
Disagree. They are horrible garments worn because their associations. There are more attractive options to keep out the rain and chill winds.

Muffy Saltwater would like it though, along with anything sold by Cordings or her favourite Scottish knitwear companies.

Have you ever noticed how much you sweat in a Barbour?

I've three Barbour's of different styles and to me they're a more a casual country take on a raincoat. More a necessity than a style statement.

I dunno, I have a Dubarry waxed jacket, and it's probably my most worn piece in the fall and spring. Looks good, goes with everything, and super durable in the field.

AW20_carrickfergus_hughes_down_001_java_1__37978.1604316866.jpg
dubarry-of-ireland-carrickfergus-jacket-olive.jpg
 
Barbour, boots, jeans and a thick jumper is a winning combination for walking the dog or standing on sidelines watching the kids’ sports games on a winter weekend.

As for getting too sweaty - avoid the Ashby model like the plague. It’s their fashion model that is slim fit. Aside from ugly shiny gold buttons, the sleeves are lined in some horrible synthetic that does not breath. Ashby arms is a thing.
 
I had a Belstaff wax jacket many years ago when I was into scooters. Damn good coat. Can't remember sweating in it but I guess thashing fuck out of a Vespa and doing 70mph helped.
 
Another example of uncoupling the suit (seems so, no reference) jacket, matching it with separate trousers: very good in my eyes. It's not that I like everything in this outfit, but it's well coordinated and harmonious. Edward Sexton.

Screenshot (594).webp
Screenshot (592).webp


On the other side, I don't like that rather low lapel with very sharp peaks, as well as the very elongated and closed peaks of the shirt collar, but they work well together, a little 40s.
 
Another example of uncoupling the suit (seems so, no reference) jacket, matching it with separate trousers: very good in my eyes. It's not that I like everything in this outfit, but it's well coordinated and harmonious. Edward Sexton.

View attachment 40756View attachment 40757

On the other side, I don't like that rather low lapel with very sharp peaks, as well as the very elongated and closed peaks of the shirt collar, but they work well together, a little 40s.
With respect Sir - it is NOT "well coordinated and harmonious"
 
Which ones? Any you actually own? Care to post a picture or two?

I have jackets by Attolini, Gabo, Kiton, Sartorio and Blasi, all ready to wear though. I also have three made to order Stile Latino sports coats and three made for me by Scabal Germany. Attolini is impeccable in its classic, timeless style. Gabo has a very nice cut, rather young and totally unstructured, but the finishing is not best. Kiton has become too trendy in my eyes, no longer interesting. Blasi has a very good standard, especially for their moderate prices.
I'll post some pictures.

From what I've seen I like also Dalcuore, Sartoria Ripense and Orazio Luciano.
 
Last edited:
I have jackets by Attolini, Gabo, Kiton, Sartorio and Blasi, all ready to wear though. I also have three made to order Stile Latino sports coats and three made for me by Scabal Germany. Attolini is impeccable in its classic, timeless style. Gabo has a very nice cut, rather young and totally unstructured, but the finishing is not best. Kiton has become too trendy in my eyes, no longer interesting. Blasi has a very good standard, especially for their moderate prices.
I'll post some pictures.

From what I've seen I like also Dalcuore, Sartoria Ripense and Orazio Luciano.

Good for you - that’s a pretty diverse, and I would risk to say loose, set of house styles, wouldn't you say? Some more Neapolitan, others less so, some very unstructured, others with quite a bit of structure, different shoulder constructions, and definitely very different lapel styles. Anything you’d highlight as you compare to Sexton?
 
Good for you - that’s a pretty diverse, and I would risk to say loose, set of house styles, wouldn't you say? Some more Neapolitan, others less so, some very unstructured, others with quite a bit of structure, different shoulder constructions, and definitely very different lapel styles. Anything you’d highlight as you compare to Sexton?

Preferring something to something other doesn't mean you don't like that something. I certainly like Sexton's slim silhouette with strong, roped shoulders and rather wide trousers, but I prefer a less acute angle between collar and lapel. Moreover I prefer a higher, more bellied lapel. And I actually like Sexton's pocket flaps. I dislike their shirts instead, with tab collar.
As regards to the shoulder I prefer a more natural one generally, but I would't disdain to wear a strong one now and then.
 
I admire his determination to bring the cravat back. All his outfits are solid 8 or 9 out of 10 for me. Nothing breathtaking, but in totality it’s impressive. And mostly I enjoy seeing him gleefully make a pratt of himself while enjoying clothes, history, pop culture and life.



 
Another example of uncoupling the suit (seems so, no reference) jacket, matching it with separate trousers: very good in my eyes. It's not that I like everything in this outfit, but it's well coordinated and harmonious. Edward Sexton.

View attachment 40756View attachment 40757

On the other side, I don't like that rather low lapel with very sharp peaks, as well as the very elongated and closed peaks of the shirt collar, but they work well together, a little 40s.
Is that apple juice, or is he just glad to see me?
I admire his determination to bring the cravat back. All his outfits are solid 8 or 9 out of 10 for me. Nothing breathtaking, but in totality it’s impressive. And mostly I enjoy seeing him gleefully make a pratt of himself while enjoying clothes, history, pop culture and life.




His prints on the stairway look quite eclectic.
 
Is that apple juice, or is he just glad to see me?

His prints on the stairway look quite eclectic.
As the name suggests, he’s a big Tin Tin fan - as well as The Smiths, English clothing and history and other odd things.

I like the fact that he is interested in more than clothes and that he will take the piss out of himself between talking about the Crimean War and his favorite 80s new romantic singer’s jacket.
 
Lovely fabric - I've got a jacket in a very similar fabric, made up from the sadly now-no-long-made Hardy Riviera cloth.

However, I don't really like the look of that very square-looking breast patch pocket, though. I much prefer a more rounded patch pocket on the chest, or a welted chest pocket.
 
Lorenzo Cifonelli wearing a nice one-button single breasted jacket in beige/brown chequered cloth, matched with off-white trousers. The intense royal blue socks provide a nice touch in my eyes.

.
Screenshot (642).png
 
Always strikes me as a bit clownish, like a dark brown sock would be more "adult" but at least he didn't match a ps or tie to them. Hes got enough going on with that shirt with the coat without those jarring socks. Maybe a more muted blue PS if he wanted to tie in the blue hue in the shirt? Or plain white to make it a contrast in the shirt? Socks are a warm blue, the shirt blue is cold. All of which of course I'm over thinking because I'm looking at it as an image. But the socks are jarring right away.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom