Agreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

Travel envy, fo sho.
I'm getting a bit of travel need now. It's essential to travel to live and breathe. Well, it is for me.

In the run up to the first lock downs I had some great trips to the Basque country, South Africa, Washington DC, two trips to the UK and was in France when we thought it might be something really nasty. Getting out was exhilarating. At the same time, a mucca was getting out of Paris and he said it was like Escape from New York.
 
I like this. I have the same jacket, but not the trousers. It looks better on him.

 
I like this. I have the same jacket, but not the trousers. It looks better on him.


It's a good look, but those RL button-downs, you need a very thin tie.

He needs to be careful with that moustache, unless he's cultivating it further to to go all the way into the John Waters look.
 
It's a good look, but those RL button-downs, you need a very thin tie.

He needs to be careful with that moustache, unless he's cultivating it further to to go all the way into the John Waters look.
It definitely needs to be a totally different tie in several aspects. That one ruins the overall look.
 
Call me daft, but I almost like that suit better when he wore it with a silk shirt.

Still, for someone who occasionally wears a tie (sadly a dying breed), he generally does it quite well.
 
This man is maybe my favorite modern dresser. All perfect, suit is Attolini he told me
273160596_10101175134353639_2793636533109786935_n.webp
 
Having been around Le Pen and his entourage I can say that he was a bit disappointing. I can turn a blind eye to the fact that he was dressed by his wife, but not to the fact that he wasn't racist and that's a terrible lack of style.
 
Come, come, everyone know's that accolade belongs to Alan Clark, boss shagger, salacious diarist, military historian, political iconoclast, very unlike the political class of today:


I strongly disliked Clarke. He represented pretty much everything I despise in the Tory persona. I remember reading his diaries and throwing the book across the room.
 
I strongly disliked Clarke. He represented pretty much everything I despise in the Tory persona. I remember reading his diaries and throwing the book across the room.
The old Tory character was one of toffy nosed unearned privilege, snobbery and getting into trouble with young boys. Well, Alan Clark was different, he just didn't give a toss about niceties and he was going to get his kicks whilst riling up his political enemies. He got it right about the EU and wasn't afraid to stand-up for Enoch Powell knowing full-well he was too toxic a brand to associate with. Not for Clarky.

His Barbarossa and Stalingrad histories are classic and definitive until Antony Beevor's books came out.

He went for himself, warts and all, and that's an admirable quality, methinks. To a certain extent, he was obviously a shit and you have to feel sorry for his long suffering wife. But he was a character and that's was missing from the current crop of political drones.
 
The old Tory character was one of toffy nosed unearned privilege, snobbery and getting into trouble with young boys. Well, Alan Clark was different, he just didn't give a toss about niceties and he was going to get his kicks whilst riling up his political enemies. He got it right about the EU and wasn't afraid to stand-up for Enoch Powell knowing full-well he was too toxic a brand to associate with. Not for Clarky.

His Barbarossa and Stalingrad histories are classic and definitive until Antony Beevor's books came out.

He went for himself, warts and all, and that's an admirable quality, methinks. To a certain extent, he was obviously a shit and you have to feel sorry for his long suffering wife. But he was a character and that's was missing from the current crop of political drones.
I'm inclined to say he was a cu*t, but they at least, have a use...!!!

He was a nasty piece of work...

Nigel Lawson's son, Dominic gets him right...

 
I'm inclined to say he was a cu*t, but they at least, have a use...!!!

He was a nasty piece of work...

Nigel Lawson's son, Dominic gets him right...

Having read his history books, he's no admirer of Hitler, I think this was a piss take: ''"I told Frank Johnson that I was a Nazi; I really believed it to be the ideal system, and that it was a disaster for the Anglo-Saxon races and for the world that it was extinguished." Emphasis on ''I told...I really...'' think he was being ultra dry and yes, cruel to wind someone up.

Haven't read his diaries and before his, I want to get the Henry ''Chips'' Channon ones, another character, from an increasingly forgotten world now.
 
Having read his history books, he's no admirer of Hitler, I think this was a piss take: ''"I told Frank Johnson that I was a Nazi; I really believed it to be the ideal system, and that it was a disaster for the Anglo-Saxon races and for the world that it was extinguished." Emphasis on ''I told...I really...'' think he was being ultra dry and yes, cruel to wind someone up.

Haven't read his diaries and before his, I want to get the Henry ''Chips'' Channon ones, another character, from an increasingly forgotten world now.
Well, Channon was an inveterate snob. His diaries are said to be entertaining however...Duff Cooper is another character you may enjoy reading about.
 
Well, Channon was an inveterate snob. His diaries are said to be entertaining however...Duff Cooper is another character you may enjoy reading about.
Thanks for that tip, that could be good as well. I seem to like these eccentric political rogues.

I like diaries and letters in general. The Noel Coward diaries are good, as are Richard Burton's. Still struggling with Kenneth Williams diaries, I expected a lot more juicy gossip and there's not much in there. Pick it up once in awhile.
 
I know the ‘railway worker’ stuff doesn’t get much love here, but I still like this guy’s fits: looser trousers and high waists on jackets and pants look good on him and most men.

 
Looks 200% pink
No, he's just English. Watched the Michael Caine film Silver Bears yesterday, and the American gangsters are talking and once exclaims about Caine ''We don't want him he's a fag!'' And another retorts ''No he's not. He's just English. All English people are like that.''
I know the ‘railway worker’ stuff doesn’t get much love here, but I still like this guy’s fits: looser trousers and high waists on jackets and pants look good on him and most men.


You have to be careful, some of those Buzz Rickson chinos cannot be altered.

Chore, engineer and trucker jackets are definitely in, but some of the trucker ones, like that one I find a bit short. Think that's the 1953 version. If you're ditching the sports jacket, blazer or suit around the office, you still need something that says he's the chief engineer just arrived back after some fighting seabees type mission.

In my opinion, the RRL denim jackets are much better in quality and design than the Levis. It's worth paying that little bit extra for the trucker jackets and in the case of the engineer and chore jackets quite a bit more, but worth it. You're getting more distinctive styling, better denim and overall a more competent look.
 
No, he's just English. Watched the Michael Caine film Silver Bears yesterday, and the American gangsters are talking and once exclaims about Caine ''We don't want him he's a fag!'' And another retorts ''No he's not. He's just English. All English people are like that.''

You have to be careful, some of those Buzz Rickson chinos cannot be altered.

Chore, engineer and trucker jackets are definitely in, but some of the trucker ones, like that one I find a bit short. Think that's the 1953 version. If you're ditching the sports jacket, blazer or suit around the office, you still need something that says he's the chief engineer just arrived back after some fighting seabees type mission.

In my opinion, the RRL denim jackets are much better in quality and design than the Levis. It's worth paying that little bit extra for the trucker jackets and in the case of the engineer and chore jackets quite a bit more, but worth it. You're getting more distinctive styling, better denim and overall a more competent look.
And there are a shit ton of other brands that do not offshore their production like RRL does. The price point is at the high end but, sorry, why would I want an RRL jacket made in China, The Philippines, Mexico, sometimes the USA and occasionally Japan. For $300 to $600 at retail? You get distinctive styling, better denim and an overall more competent look.

A Sugar Cane Type II or Type III is just under $300 at retail with 50% Sugar Cane.

1651116843441.webp


Freenote Cloth 16 ounce, named Japanese Mill (not mystery mill like most RRL). USA not China made. $320.




Railcar Fine Goods, made in a US workshop not subcontracted to a offshore factory. 15 ounce selvedge canvas. $265.
1651117220766.webp

The Flat Head. 14.5 oz, rope dyed. $350.
1651117400647.webp

1651117529786.webp

ONi 20 oz. secret denim. $350
1651117797863.webp


That is just scratching the surface. 3Sixteen, The Strike Gold, Stevenson Overall,...... All available for as much or less than RRL non-US, Non-Japan jackets.
 
No, he's just English. Watched the Michael Caine film Silver Bears yesterday, and the American gangsters are talking and once exclaims about Caine ''We don't want him he's a fag!'' And another retorts ''No he's not. He's just English. All English people are like that.''

You have to be careful, some of those Buzz Rickson chinos cannot be altered.

Chore, engineer and trucker jackets are definitely in, but some of the trucker ones, like that one I find a bit short. Think that's the 1953 version. If you're ditching the sports jacket, blazer or suit around the office, you still need something that says he's the chief engineer just arrived back after some fighting seabees type mission.

In my opinion, the RRL denim jackets are much better in quality and design than the Levis. It's worth paying that little bit extra for the trucker jackets and in the case of the engineer and chore jackets quite a bit more, but worth it. You're getting more distinctive styling, better denim and overall a more competent look.


Never seen an "English" dressed as that but on the Blue Ostrich bar.
 
And there are a shit ton of other brands that do not offshore their production like RRL does. The price point is at the high end but, sorry, why would I want an RRL jacket made in China, The Philippines, Mexico, sometimes the USA and occasionally Japan. For $300 to $600 at retail? You get distinctive styling, better denim and an overall more competent look.

A Sugar Cane Type II or Type III is just under $300 at retail with 50% Sugar Cane.

View attachment 43369

Freenote Cloth 16 ounce, named Japanese Mill (not mystery mill like most RRL). USA not China made. $320.




Railcar Fine Goods, made in a US workshop not subcontracted to a offshore factory. 15 ounce selvedge canvas. $265.
View attachment 43370
The Flat Head. 14.5 oz, rope dyed. $350.
View attachment 43371
View attachment 43372
ONi 20 oz. secret denim. $350
View attachment 43373

That is just scratching the surface. 3Sixteen, The Strike Gold, Stevenson Overall,...... All available for as much or less than RRL non-US, Non-Japan jackets.
Sugar Cane as part of the Buzz Rickson group, I've worried sizing might be quite small. They look good to me, as do the others, better than Levi's, but I only have experience of Levi's and RRL denim. The Levi's vintage 501's are magnificent.

I will be sporting one of my new engineer jackets for work tomorrow. First time my mob will have seen me in anything less formal than a sports jacket. But it's still formal, kind of.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom