Ask A Quick Question

Great White Snark

Ratings
Somehow I get a catalogue from them a couple of times a year. They usually have one or two basic suits in the back. Dark blue, navy or mid gray, or maybe beige cotton in the summer. Nothing special. And no suitings, just suits.

lefebvre

Ratings
Gentlemen,
Are there any folk here interested in ecclesiastical tailoring? Wondering what the industry is like and if there are many tailors around that are dedicated to this area. I’m aware of Gamarelli, who are known for dressing a number of Pontiffs but that’s all.
Regards.

sirloin

Ratings
Gentlemen,
Are there any folk here interested in ecclesiastical tailoring? Wondering what the industry is like and if there are many tailors around that are dedicated to this area. I’m aware of Gamarelli, who are known for dressing a number of Pontiffs but that’s all.
Regards.
We have a few butthurt choirboys on here, so we try to avoid the subject.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
Gentlemen,
Regards.
Lumpen

güero

Ratings

MES

Ratings
Looking for a lightweight, cheapo shoo to knock around beaches and cobbled towns on holiday. Thinking an unlined boat shoe/camp moc/penny loafer. Are the ll bean camp mocs good enough for their price? Even after import duty they're less than most half decent shoes here

Ratings
I have read that a blue blazer is inappropriate business attire, is this true? I'm looking at maybe having something made up with gunmetal gray buttons, could this be worn in a business casual/smart casual environment?

CesareRomiti

Ratings
I have read that a blue blazer is inappropriate business attire, is this true? I'm looking at maybe having something made up with gunmetal gray buttons, could this be worn in a business casual/smart casual environment?
Perchance you work on a cruise ship?
Totally acceptable in 95% of all conservative business situations
However PLEASE!!!! ONLY with gold buttons

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
what people? who the fuck gets offended by gold buttons?
I've seen it a few times, not only in the UK, but here in The Netherlands. Enough for me to immediately change gold buttons on new blazers double quick.

The first time was a director in one of the company's I use to work for took offence and stated when this poor chap left the office ''Who does he think he is with that blazer?!'' He really detested the guy and I am convinced it wasn't really the blazer, but the gold buttons. Another time a client of mine was laughing at my boss shaking his head ''Does he think he's a captain of a yacht in that ridiculous blazer? Hello sailor!''

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
A navy blazer and grey trousers is perfectly acceptable in any business context here. Strangely in these days of nondescript dark suits, tan shoes and white or gingham table cloth checked open necked shirts a navy blazer and tie can look very formal. I don't know where you are but gold metal buttons here are likely to have people sniggering behind your back - if you are lucky - or asking you:
"Where's the Yacht?"

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
OTOH - careful especially down here if you have a young looking face:: Snapped on the tram at school kids going home time:
navy blazer schoolboys.jpg

MES

Ratings
Gold buttons definitely look a bit fusty in the UK.

fxh fxh my own blazer was pretty similar, though with red piping in final year. Very heavy wool, always a size too big in case I grew. Massive patch pockets. Stank in winter when it got damp. A really useful and comforting piece of clothing actually, I wish I could get away with something similar now.

Ratings
I do have a beat up Brooks Brothers single breasted with gold buttons. Every time I wear it I get "Are you going yachting?" jokes. This in New England.

I once saw a movie where Sean Connery was wearing a SB blazer with darkish metal buttons, probably pewter. I am no Bond, but it looked really nice, and I won't have to hum Pirates of Penzance when I walk down the street.

aristoi bcn

Spanish Rookie
Ratings
What kind of shoes are to be worn with light coloured suits/trousers (cream, off-white, white, sand, taupe) during the warm season?

Nowadays everybody wears dark suits and black frankenshoes even in the peak of August, but we know this is not proper.

As I am not a big fan of spectators, would shoes like these be the right ones?

ps: Yes, this was an excuse to post the very few pictures I found from those obscure milanaise shoemakers.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
What kind of shoes are to be worn with light coloured suits/trousers (cream, off-white, white, sand, taupe) during the warm season?

Nowadays everybody wears dark suits and black frankenshoes even in the peak of August, but we know this is not proper.

As I am not a big fan of spectators, would shoes like these be the right ones?
ps: Yes, this was an excuse to post the very few pictures I found from those obscure milanaise shoemakers.
Cannot see pics- you wear the forum favourite = slippers/loafers. No black leather. Light shoes - blue suede. Plain brown suede - thin soles - no brogueing, no captoe etc or heaviness.

formby

Ratings
Suede, in various shades of brown. Other colours too, if your feeling dandified but not black, which is too formal.

Style, slip-ons / loafers as FXH says.

The look is degage.

foxandhound

Ratings
What makes you think that because Delon's done it, that that makes it a good look?
If you find it so disagreeable, go and post it in the appropriate thread and see if you get any other takers. I, on the other hand, happen to think Mr. Delon looks quite good in this picture and it seems to contradict fxh fxh 's advice that black shoes should never be worn with white trousers.

fxh fxh If you look at the contrast between his shirt and his shoes I'm close to certain they're black loafers he's wearing.

formby

Ratings
If you find it so disagreeable, go and post it in the appropriate thread and see if you get any other takers. I, on the other hand, happen to think Mr. Delon looks quite good in this picture and it seems to contradict fxh fxh 's advice that black shoes should never be worn with white trousers.

fxh fxh If you look at the contrast between his shirt and his shoes I'm close to certain they're black loafers he's wearing.
I don't seek consensus.

The reason I dislike it, since you asked, is that the strong contrast between shoe and pants can draw attention to your feet which is not where you want attention to be drawn IMO. It also looks like you only have one pair of shoes that you have to wear with everything which may, come to think of it, be the greater offence (business trips excepted of course).

What kind of character is Delon playing in that film?

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
I don't have a problem with black shoes and cream/white chinos, they do need to be either loafers, or more on the casual spectrum. I wouldn't wear a business Oxford shoe though.

What's the verdict on this defect on a shirt of mine, a flaw in the broadcloth, or has this caught on a sharp coat hanger or some other self inflicted event:

IMG_1164.JPG

Top Bottom