Ask A Quick Question

Never heard of this site before. Is it new?
Its been going a few years now. I've had a few bits off there, all NOS that I wasn't prepared to pay full wack for. Worth signing up for their news letter, think you get 10% on the first order and every now and then they do a "flash" sale.

True, I’ve had some lemons (2 smalto jackets cut for an orangutan), but for the most part if you look at measures and have a good alterations tailor you should be good. Then again, if this will be the one shot, I agree that it might be too much of a gamble. Ymmv.
I'm stopped buying jackets off the web. Too many disappointments. I think my tape measure must be different to a lot of sellers.

Looking for tips where to buy collar stays online and best results between metal, MOP and good old hand made plastic.

Looking for tips where to buy collar stays online and best results between metal, MOP and good old hand made plastic.
I’ve bought a mix of metal and plastic on Amazon.
You get different lengths and widths for 10-20gbp.
Plastic gives you more flexibility, the metal ones are of course more rigid.
MOP is fancy shit if you ask me.

I’ve bought a mix of metal and plastic on Amazon.
You get different lengths and widths for 10-20gbp.
Plastic gives you more flexibility, the metal ones are of course more rigid.
MOP is fancy shit if you ask me.
JOVIVI 36pc Metal Collar Stays For Mens Dress Shirt 3 Sizes (2.2"/2.5"/2.75") w/Box Amazon product ASIN B01GNSD0R2

VORCOOL Plastic White Collar Stays Bones Stiffeners for Mens Dress Shirt in 3 Sizes - 200pcs Amazon product ASIN B07KQ2TJFX

JOVIVI 36pc Metal Collar Stays For Mens Dress Shirt 3 Sizes (2.2"/2.5"/2.75") w/Box Amazon product ASIN B01GNSD0R2

VORCOOL Plastic White Collar Stays Bones Stiffeners for Mens Dress Shirt in 3 Sizes - 200pcs Amazon product ASIN B07KQ2TJFX
Thanks Belin, got them in the basket but it says they wont ship to my location. I hope that wankers space ship blows up on lift off next time.

Do you prefer metal over plastic or the other way. I have only ever used the ones you get with the shirts but their all knackered now.

Thanks Belin, got them in the basket but it says they wont ship to my location. I hope that wankers space ship blows up on lift off next time.

Do you prefer metal over plastic or the other way. I have only ever used the ones you get with the shirts but their all knackered now.

Some shirts go better with metal, for example Sexton shirts which have long collars go great with metal, the Emma Willis ones I prefer plastic.

what about this absolute joke of an auction?

I don't see the point of paying 5x more for the same piece of crappy metal, just because it reads Rampley or what have you.

Some shirts go better with metal, for example Sexton shirts which have long collars go great with metal, the Emma Willis ones I prefer plastic.
My wife occasionally misses plucking one of my shirts before dumping stuff in the dryer. I’ve had a few cheap plastic collar stays melt into the fabric that way, so I prefer stainless steel (also had some cheap metal ones start to rust).

My wife occasionally misses plucking one of my shirts before dumping stuff in the dryer. I’ve had a few cheap plastic collar stays melt into the fabric that way, so I prefer stainless steel (also had some cheap metal ones start to rust).
What temperature are you washing your shirts at??? You shouldn’t be melting plastic! 🤣

Plastic stays almost always. I amassed a few during my Off-the-peg shirt days and they work perfectly.

Second choice is 'no stays' but that is material dependent.

Your wife washes your shirts!!!!

Thruth Thruth and other who may know, what are the best trousers or the best fabric for doing light/medium chores like cutting trees and shrubs, raking etc. when it is 0-10C, light/medium rain, no/little wind? So something not to warm for wet conditions, I guess.

Thruth Thruth and other who may know, what are the best trousers or the best fabric for doing light/medium chores like cutting trees and shrubs, raking etc. when it is 0-10C, light/medium rain, no/little wind? So something not to warm for wet conditions, I guess.
For me if it’s 0-10C and raining i don’t do any maintenance or gardening outside.
HTH

For me if it’s 0-10C and raining i don’t do any maintenance or gardening outside.
HTH
yeah that's not possible unfortunately. I'll probably get a gardener for the things I don't like, but I need to do it a few times first

Something poly-cotton; robust, dries fairly quickly.

HTH
Once the winter hits here, the grass is too sodden to do anything. Pick-up the fallen leaves and that's it until the end of next March or even the middle of April, depending on whether spring comes early or late.

Something poly-cotton; robust, dries fairly quickly.
That is my most likely pick now, found something in 65/35 and a rather thin fabric, it seems. I thought maybe some canvas or even oiled canvas would work even better.
Pick-up the fallen leaves and that's it until the end of next March or even the middle of April,
I did exactly that and it was a solid 5-6h of work, raining most of the time. There is some other stuff I need to do throughout the winter and some more at the latest before spring, so even if I wait until Feb/Mar there will still be a lot of rain.

What about a lightweight Goretex-type jacket and pants? It will keep you relatively dry and you can adjust what you wear under it for warmth, depending on ambient temp and how hard you are working.

What about a lightweight Goretex-type jacket and pants? It will keep you relatively dry and you can adjust what you wear under it for warmth, depending on ambient temp and how hard you are working.
I don't think those are suitable for work, regarding abrasion/tear, at least not what I'm finding. The poly/cotton one I'm thinking about isn't either, I guess, but it costs only a few € so I can at least try (Brandit Ranger, they have it at the local hunting supply). I used my (non-Barbour, hence non-ghey) wax jacket against the rain, that worked just fine.

e. so I guess I will try those https://www.hoggs.co.uk/mens/trousers/field-tech-waterproof-trouser at least they claim they are breathable and tough

Last edited:
Amazing that someone, at some point in time, thought this was a good idea worth manufacturing and marketing

Generally gone off Oxford cloth, but I did recently buy some RL's garment dyed ones and some 1/4 zip sweaters. Sometimes you need something casual and a bit layered. Especially this time of year and under Covid restrictions. Do you really want to look you're going to a (semi) formal meeting or a corporate office, or some event or race meeting when everyone's working from home and everywhere is closed?

I'm the opposite. I'm pretty much only a pinpoint Oxford shirt guy these days, I think the only other shirts I've had made up the past year or so are brushed cotton for the winter outside.
Yes, but pinpoint Oxford is not your regular readily available Oxford cloth. If I recall correctly, pinpoint Oxford is quite formal. Much more than your standard OCBD, broadcloth etc

Yes, but pinpoint Oxford is not your regular readily available Oxford cloth. If I recall correctly, pinpoint Oxford is quite formal. Much more than your standard OCBD, broadcloth etc
I don't know that any Oxford is more available than the other, whenever I've ordered some cloth they have always had it.

I'm not sure what they are these days, but back before I had shirts made up, I used to get my OCBDs from O'Connell's, and theirs were pinpoint. I still have one actually.

Are we talking about a chunky, outdoorsy quarter zip like Barbour or a finer knit dressier thing?

2658E71F-9A19-4F92-A214-6A1548FA92A2.jpeg

Pinpoint is definitely a more refined and formal cloth compared to more regular and thick Oxford cloths. There's something about them I can't stand now, that's the standard thick Oxford clothes. Pinpoint: good to go! And I have.
Are we talking about a chunky, outdoorsy quarter zip like Barbour or a finer knit dressier thing?

View attachment 42379
Nothing wrong with that look.

What about over a polo?
Not so much, but I wouldn't find it off. I was thinking a finer knit as a half zip tbh. The collar band comes into play with a half zip, the shirts need a decent band and collar height otherwise it just gets buried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom