Car Talk

I need a new car as of today. This morning some motherfucker ran a red and I smashed into him at the intersection. I wanted to replace my Mitsubishi but not this soon.

I need a new car as of today. This morning some motherfucker ran a red and I smashed into him at the intersection. I wanted to replace my Mitsubishi but not this soon.
Are you ok? No one hurt?

I have some small cuts on my legs, but I'm ok and the other guy was fine as well.
Good to hear! Now on to your new car:
E2696191-0D15-4DB6-9F31-1B52F9F18133.jpeg

I have some small cuts on my legs, but I'm ok and the other guy was fine as well.
Be wary, those C2-5 whip lash injuries have a habit of the disc bulging ever so slightly unnoticed only to pop out completely onto the nerves and spinal cords 18-24 months later. If it's the other guys fault, don't settle everything too quick.

jesus you ok man?

edit: saw your response. happy to hear about that.

I didn’t know that Tesla had a ‘dog mode’ that lets you aircondition the car while you are away.
A66C47C3-A65D-4CF3-A888-2F6C5F492B6C.jpeg

Also the volume goes all the way up to 11 (Spinal Tap reference), a Valet mode to prevent it going over certain speed (Ferris Bueller), and all sorts of semi-useful features inspired on popular culture. Not to mention the “fart” function

Sheesh, that sucks! Good to hear that you're OK but, as Pimpernel said, be careful about whiplash or spinal injuries.

Was the other driver insured? Were you insured? Hope that you can get a decent replacement.

Not to mention the “fart” function

What's the "fart" function? The car detects when you're passing wind and makes a noise to hide it?!

What's the "fart" function? The car detects when you're passing wind and makes a noise to hide it?!
One of the many “games” the console has is the ability to produce different fart noises coming from the different seats. Fun for the kids

One of the many “games” the console has is the ability to produce different fart noises coming from the different seats. Fun for the kids

Sounds silly, but fun - with the added advantage that you can break wind and make one of the other seats fart, to cover it up! 😉

I'd like to get a Tesla, or some other purely electric car - perhaps one of the new Hyundai models - but I can't bring myself to upgrade at present as the old Subaru Forester is still going strong.

We have solar panels and, being in Australia, get a lot of sunshine so it would be good to simply be able to "refuel" the car by plugging it in and charging it off the power from the solar panels.

Last edited:
Lucky you, because their quality is horrendously bad
Have you driven/owned one, or is this just based on second-hand opinions? I own one, and I think their quality is outstanding. I haven’t had any technical/mechanical issues whatsoever, and the quality of both the car itself as well as the experience are outstanding.

and the laughing stock of the industry.

Have you driven/owned one, or is this just based on second-hand opinions? I own one, and I think their quality is outstanding. I haven’t had any technical/mechanical issues whatsoever, and the quality of both the car itself as well as the experience are outstanding.

Yes I have driven the Model S (don't remember which exact version) a couple of times. The acceleration is more than perfect, that's about it. The interior is meh (but I don't really care about that, I also neither care about cost nor the environment). I can't say anything about the handling because I pretty much only drove it on the highway and never put it on a race track.

They claim to have done really well on the Nordschleife, afaik that has never been independently verified and might well be typical Tesla promiseware. I don't think that they partake in any racing activity, so who knows how well the car actually drives. A friend of mine has been an amateur race driver basically forever and currently mostly drives in the Porsche Cup, he has been on the Nordschleife with a Tesla (don't remember at all which one) and did not like it. He is biased of course.

This much about my experience and second-hand opinions I have.

Their manufacturing and quality assurance being absolute rubbish and their overall lack of reliability is not an opinion but a fact, those things are studied and analyzed in great detail. It is largely publicly available information that more or less unanimously comes to the same conclusion, you can google that yourself if you want. Afaik Tesla does still not participate in the (non-public, half illegal) benchmarking of manufacturing efficiency and quality, where ALL car manufacturers share data on plant performance etc. I am sure they know why they don't. You might have been lucky with your particular car, but that is worth exactly nothing.

I'm pretty sure you are aware that the market cap of a company does not tell you anything about the quality of their products, or even whether they have products at all. You might remember Enron and others. You might also be aware that in many if not most countries Tesla is not even #1 in the EV segment, allthough they had a headstart of like a decade compared to the regular OEMs. So the customer obviously doesn't like the car as much as Tesla fanbois seem to think. Even worse, many manufacturers have basically just begun with EV and will bring excellent vehicles to the market over the next couple of years, some have already started with direct competitors to the Model S. You might also be aware that e.g. VW alone has about 14x the R&D spend of Tesla, the few largest manufacturers something like 50x the spend. So that is 50bn compared to 1bn. It is not even close.

I love Elon Musk as much as everyone and I hope he succeeds with Tesla. Maybe he will get his ego in check and just buys a real car manufacturer with inflated Tesla shares, then everything will be fine. Otherwise he can't succeed if Tesla doesn't manage to produce a quality car.

Yes I have driven the Model S (don't remember which exact version) a couple of times. The acceleration is more than perfect, that's about it. The interior is meh (but I don't really care about that, I also neither care about cost nor the environment). I can't say anything about the handling because I pretty much only drove it on the highway and never put it on a race track.

They claim to have done really well on the Nordschleife, afaik that has never been independently verified and might well be typical Tesla promiseware. I don't think that they partake in any racing activity, so who knows how well the car actually drives. A friend of mine has been an amateur race driver basically forever and currently mostly drives in the Porsche Cup, he has been on the Nordschleife with a Tesla (don't remember at all which one) and did not like it. He is biased of course.

This much about my experience and second-hand opinions I have.

Their manufacturing and quality assurance being absolute rubbish and their overall lack of reliability is not an opinion but a fact, those things are studied and analyzed in great detail. It is largely publicly available information that more or less unanimously comes to the same conclusion, you can google that yourself if you want. Afaik Tesla does still not participate in the (non-public, half illegal) benchmarking of manufacturing efficiency and quality, where ALL car manufacturers share data on plant performance etc. I am sure they know why they don't. You might have been lucky with your particular car, but that is worth exactly nothing.

I'm pretty sure you are aware that the market cap of a company does not tell you anything about the quality of their products, or even whether they have products at all. You might remember Enron and others. You might also be aware that in many if not most countries Tesla is not even #1 in the EV segment, allthough they had a headstart of like a decade compared to the regular OEMs. So the customer obviously doesn't like the car as much as Tesla fanbois seem to think. Even worse, many manufacturers have basically just begun with EV and will bring excellent vehicles to the market over the next couple of years, some have already started with direct competitors to the Model S. You might also be aware that e.g. VW alone has about 14x the R&D spend of Tesla, the few largest manufacturers something like 50x the spend. So that is 50bn compared to 1bn. It is not even close.

I love Elon Musk as much as everyone and I hope he succeeds with Tesla. Maybe he will get his ego in check and just buys a real car manufacturer with inflated Tesla shares, then everything will be fine. Otherwise he can't succeed if Tesla doesn't manage to produce a quality car.
Ok. I’m one lucky guy then! Yay!

i just got a offer on carvana for my car that met my threshold for selling so i think i'm finally going to get rid of it. i need to get an suv, something large that i can take a lot of boxes in. can be used or new, preferably new but i'm open. anyone have recommendations on models to get or avoid?

I recently bought a 2001 P38 for peanuts (5k GBP), spent about 2k to condition it, and couldnt be happier. Massive space for kids, dogs or luggage/boxes, and the thing is a beast.

1627031806272.png

recently bought a 2001 P38 for peanuts (5k GBP), spent about 2k to condition it, and couldnt be happier. Massive space for kids, dogs or luggage/boxes, and the thing is a beast.

Nice! What mileage?

I wish that cars were cheaper here in Australia - something similar here would probably cost at least twice as much and have at least 150,000 miles on it.

Nice! What mileage?

I wish that cars were cheaper here in Australia - something similar here would probably cost at least twice as much and have at least 150,000 miles on it.
123k miles

We just drove from London to Stockholm (w ferries to Netherlands and Sweden), and the journey was a joy.

We have some Chevy Tahoes at work that are big and reliable.

I recently bought a 2001 P38 for peanuts (5k GBP), spent about 2k to condition it, and couldnt be happier. Massive space for kids, dogs or luggage/boxes, and the thing is a beast.

View attachment 40038
I had a HSE 4.6 what a great car to feel above the general traffic and the plebs. But horrendously expensive to keep on the road in the Netherlands, so had to go for Prius instead. It was a good two and a bit years, even my kids remember it, but with insurance, road tax and petrol it was costing me over €800 a month to keep it on the road.
Same here, cars are so expensive compared to the rest of Europe and compared to the States, unbelievable. A colleague bought his son a brand new VW T-Roc for $16,000 in the USA. That's fantasy over here.

now that’s one hell of a downsize!
I've even gone further, the VW Polo, well with the DSG gear box it's pretty good.

There's nothing better than the big SUV driving experience, well the smoothness of the old style gangster Jaguars and the like take some beating too. Proper vehicles to take you half-way-across a land mass before the cops find out you've left town.

There's nothing better than the big SUV driving experience, well the smoothness of the old style gangster Jaguars and the like take some beating too. Proper vehicles to take you half-way-across a land mass before the cops find out you've left town.
Huh? Does this happen to you often?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom