Car Talk

Journeyman

Supporter

That headline is a bit misleading.

Toyota isn't stating that cars should not be electric. Rather, it is saying that they cannot all be electric *now* as there is still a lot of work to do before that is feasible:

When Toyota offers an opinion on the car market, it’s probably worth listening to. This week, Toyota reiterated an opinion it has offered before. That opinion is straightforward: The world is not yet ready to support a fully electric auto fleet.

Toyota’s head of energy and environmental research Robert Wimmer testified before the Senate this week, and said: “If we are to make dramatic progress in electrification, it will require overcoming tremendous challenges, including refueling infrastructure, battery availability, consumer acceptance, and affordability.”

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
If the backseat were just a little bigger, I’d get the electric Mini Cooper for our second car.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter

formby002

this is toyota trying to cover its ass because its fallen so far behind on electric. every other car maker is rapidly changing their fleet.
The automotive industry by its nature is conservative. It is expensive to design and build a car and if they get it seriously wrong the warranty claims could bankrupt them.

Rambo

Supporter
The automotive industry by its nature is conservative. It is expensive to design and build a car and if they get it seriously wrong the warranty claims could bankrupt them.
Yet all of their competitors are going electric. Toyota has fallen behind and they’re trying to drag everyone back with them so they don’t get screwed.

Pimpernel Smith

this is toyota trying to cover its ass because its fallen so far behind on electric. every other car maker is rapidly changing their fleet.
We'll see, currently the range, the battery capacity and infrastructure is far from being in a trajectory to meet targets.

The present car industry might yet become road kill on the glorious path to build back better and the Great Reset.

Rambo

Supporter
We'll see, currently the range, the battery capacity and infrastructure is far from being in a trajectory to meet targets.
great then we should give it up and forget about it all together.

The present car industry might yet become road kill on the glorious path to build back better and the Great Reset.
just have to put this horseshit ideology into every thread don't you?

Pimpernel Smith

great then we should give it up and forget about it all together.

just have to put this horseshit ideology into every thread don't you?
Not in everything, just where it's relevant.

Due to the scale of investment and new technologies, the likelihood is that some car manufacturers will be left behind or find themselves in a GM type situation. I don't think Toyota will be one of them, like they were not the first in the game with hybrids.

You may yet find that electrical cars are leapfrogged over by hydrogen.

Rambo

Supporter
finally got a 5 minute test drive in the new Acura MDX. gotta say i wasn't really impressed. also a friendly reminder that car salespeople don't know what the fuck they're talking about and you should always double check what they say. my asshole last night told me this car got 22mpg city and didn't need premium fuel. book says 19mpg city and it does need premium fuel.

Rambo

Supporter
been busy with the test drives. got to test out the Volvo XC90. pretty comfortable seat and the infotainment system was pretty straightforward. cargo room was a little smaller than some of the other models but overall it was a comfortable ride. very smooth handling. sadly the car i test drove had the 21" tires and i think that made the drive a bit rougher than it should have been. overall nothing overly exciting but an all-together nice package. the only thing i didn't like about it was to get doghouse doghouse 's ventilated seats i had to jump to the V6 model and that was an extra $12-15k package boost. came with nice features though. don't need to use premium gas though so that's a plus.

next i went to the toyota highlander. i really hated this. absolutely no features in the low end models so you have to spend $45k minimum to get the nice shit. infotainment system looked very dated even though it was just refreshed in 2019. drove like shit as well. toyota's just not competitive with the offerings out there and the dealers have the gall to be tacking on $4-6k over MSRP.

after that i hit up hyundai to look at the pallisade. very comfortable seat and had a ton of features. unfortunately you need to jump to the limited package which makes the car around $46k. has a weird split sunroof thing and a ton of features for kids but its what you have to deal with in this segment. nice options in the trunk for folding down the seats as well which is important to me in my hunt for cargo room. drive was pretty good but i didn't get to spend a ton of time in the car.

didn't get to drive the genesis gv80 yet but they were in HIGH demand while i was there.

walked over to lincoln. they've come a long way since a decade ago. they're doing some cool new thing now when you have to take your car into service they drive to you and drop off a car and then take your car back to the dealership so you never have to step foot in there. have to admit that's swanky. they were closing up but i got a chance to sit in the aviator in the showroom. holy shit was that comfortable! it was fully decked out so i'll have to go back and drive the cheaper model to see if its as comfortable.

today i got to drive the Kia Telluride finally after hunting 4 different dealerships to find a single model in stock! its extremely similar in features and interior to the hyundai pallisade. overall i'd say the kia is better looking outside and drive a bit better and the hyundai is better looking nicer on the inside. the kia was very comfortable though.

Rambo

Supporter
next up on my list are the mazda CX-9, lincoln aviator, BMW X5, and maybe a land rover of some kind. possibly an audi as well.

belinmad

Wow - you’re definitely being thorough.
Also, seems like it’s a sellers market? Why is the demand so high right now?

Rambo

Supporter
Wow - you’re definitely being thorough.
Also, seems like it’s a sellers market? Why is the demand so high right now?
It’s a supply issue not a demand issue. Demand is static but supply has gone WAY down. Chip supplies, part supplies, hell I’ve even heard certain plastics small parts like bearings are becoming hard to source. Honestly, at this point I’m starting to suspect that the industry is purposefully causing some of these “shortages” to goose prices. Never in their right minds did automakers think they’d be getting $10k over MSRP!

belinmad

It’s a supply issue not a demand issue. Demand is static but supply has gone WAY down. Chip supplies, part supplies, hell I’ve even heard certain plastics small parts like bearings are becoming hard to source. Honestly, at this point I’m starting to suspect that the industry is purposefully causing some of these “shortages” to goose prices. Never in their right minds did automakers think they’d be getting $10k over MSRP!
that sucks.
Buying used not an option for you?

Rambo

Supporter
that sucks.
Buying used not an option for you?
oh it definitely is. but the used market is nuts as well. the reason i'm in this situation is that i sold my 2017 car with 35k miles on it that i paid ~$22,500k for back in October 2017 for $19,250. I can live with the market a bit until things calm down but I'd never be able to get that much money for my car ever again. I may even sell my other car if a decent deal pops up.

belinmad

oh it definitely is. but the used market is nuts as well. the reason i'm in this situation is that i sold my 2017 car with 35k miles on it that i paid ~$22,500k for back in October 2017 for $19,250. I can live with the market a bit until things calm down but I'd never be able to get that much money for my car ever again. I may even sell my other car if a decent deal pops up.
Time to build your own, I guess :)
1629137123220.png

güero

Ordered a new car in January to be delivered in April. In April they said May/June. In June they said mid-August. Today they said February 22, at the earliest.

Rambo

Supporter
Ordered a new car in January to be delivered in April. In April they said May/June. In June they said mid-August. Today they said February 22, at the earliest.
what car?

güero

what car?
A fairly basic A4, of which they usually produce 100s every day… It is only a company lease and they‘ll give me something else for the meantime, but I‘d be really mad if it was my own car.

Rambo

Supporter
tried out the mazda cx-9 today. only a v4 but it gets the same mpg as the larger sized suv's with v6's. ride was decent but turn radius was awful. felt like i was steering a boat. have to get highest package to get all the cameras and shit so that makes it $50k MSRP. hard pass on that one.

went across the street to lincoln again and they were once again too busy even though they knew i was coming. not a great look from lincoln.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I saw a left hand drive ute here this week. Not an old El Camino but something modern. I couldn’t get close to it in traffic to make out the brand or model.

formby002

Hard hitting journalism over at the spectator.
It's a fluff piece about a car, that a forum member has just taken delivery of, by a Left-wing journalist who happens to be a petrol head in the car section of a weekly magazine.

However, if you want I can point you to an essay on the philosophical implications of the curvature of the E-Type bonnet if that's more to your taste. Or failing that an exposition on the functonal beauty of the castellated nut.

Rambo

Supporter
It's a fluff piece about a car, that a forum member has just taken delivery of, by a Left-wing journalist who happens to be a petrol head in the car section of a weekly magazine.

However, if you want I can point you to an essay on the philosophical implications of the curvature of the E-Type bonnet if that's more to your taste. Or failing that an exposition on the functonal beauty of the castellated nut.
You are taking this shit WAY too seriously

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter

FWIW I do quite like the article f. which is rare in the Spectator.

The line about being able to slip it by the wife because it can haul the kids is so true. I used it myself lol

Top Bottom