Dealing with ageing family members

That’s why I asked. Bone on bone = replacement.

Has he maybe looked into some diabetes meds or something like Ozempic/mounjaro? Is he overweight?

He was hospitalized last year after ignoring his diabetes diagnosis for years. I think almost a decade. It was ridiculously high. High 20s mmol/L. He spent a few weeks getting insulin injections and then was able to stabilise under 9 mmol/L using just drugs.

He's not overweight. The heart medication he is able to take is for overweight high blood pressure people and he has always been a low weight, low blood pressure (until his heart started giving out) person. The diabetes medication seems to be the same. So he gets the runs on the diabetic medication every few days.

We're able to get it under control if he observes proper diet. When I cook for him I converted everything to multi grain, bean based noodles, or at least whole wheat. I haven't used potato for him for months. White rice was ditched for wild/brown rice. I usually just make mashed cauliflower/turnip/rutabaga for him. Anyway if he follows the diet routine the drugs are enough. The problem is he started cheating because he had all these other issues so he wanted to eat food he used to eat because he assumed he was dying.

Follow your doc's advice.
However 8 years ago a member of my family was told by a Canadian doctor that she needed a knee replacement but that she could also try an injection and supplements.

She took ( and still takes)glucosamine and chrondroitin and had the injection below. It worked.

They were afraid to give him a cortisone injection because of potential infection. My father said it was a surgeon so my thought is going to a plumber you only get recommendations using a wrench. He's back to the family doctor later.

I'll bring up the injection.

He was hospitalized last year after ignoring his diabetes diagnosis for years. I think almost a decade. It was ridiculously high. High 20s mmol/L. He spent a few weeks getting insulin injections and then was able to stabilise under 9 mmol/L using just drugs.

He's not overweight. The heart medication he is able to take is for overweight high blood pressure people and he has always been a low weight, low blood pressure (until his heart started giving out) person. The diabetes medication seems to be the same. So he gets the runs on the diabetic medication every few days.

We're able to get it under control if he observes proper diet. When I cook for him I converted everything to multi grain, bean based noodles, or at least whole wheat. I haven't used potato for him for months. White rice was ditched for wild/brown rice. I usually just make mashed cauliflower/turnip/rutabaga for him. Anyway if he follows the diet routine the drugs are enough. The problem is he started cheating because he had all these other issues so he wanted to eat food he used to eat because he assumed he was dying.

They were afraid to give him a cortisone injection because of potential infection. My father said it was a surgeon so my thought is going to a plumber you only get recommendations using a wrench. He's back to the family doctor later.

I'll bring up the injection.
I wasn't talking about cortisone. It is some kind of replacement synovial fluid. But cortisone is another possibility.

I wasn't talking about cortisone. It is some kind of replacement synovial fluid. But cortisone is another possibility.
cortisone is useless when cartilage is not present and functioning. there's nothing for the cortisone to reduce the inflammation on when its bone on bone.

One of the many health care people rang my father's mobile and my mother picked it up. She put it on speaker on the dining table. The volume was so loud I had to put on my Bluetooth ear buds to block off some of the noise yet my mother leaned in closer to listen.

In other news my father fell again today.

One of the many health care people rang my father's mobile and my mother picked it up. She put it on speaker on the dining table. The volume was so loud I had to put on my Bluetooth ear buds to block off some of the noise yet my mother leaned in closer to listen.

In other news my father fell again today.
Sorry to hear Fwiffo

Sorry to hear Fwiffo

Cheers. I wasn't there for the first one. I was there for the second one. The issue is I have the strength to pick him up but he can't stand so it's more of an exercise to get him into a chair or bed.

sorry to hear that. is he ok? was it serious?

Yes. It's for his daily weigh in. But with one foot it's hard to balance long enough for the digital scale to read his weight. The weight's used to figure out how much diuretic he needs to fight off the oedema from his heart issues.

The first time he fell just from brushing his teeth. I hope his hip is strong because if he can't survive a knee surgery I don't know how he could survive a hip replacement.

Yes. It's for his daily weigh in. But with one foot it's hard to balance long enough for the digital scale to read his weight. The weight's used to figure out how much diuretic he needs to fight off the oedema from his heart issues.

The first time he fell just from brushing his teeth. I hope his hip is strong because if he can't survive a knee surgery I don't know how he could survive a hip replacement.
oy that's sounds like a fucking mess. has he gotten into some physical therapy yet?

oy that's sounds like a fucking mess. has he gotten into some physical therapy yet?

A physical therapist came to see him. He suggested to keep exercising even if he won't use the lame leg so he retains some ability to stand. He then suggested a scooter - like one of those where you crouch with one knee (the bad one) and use other leg to walk. Just the thought of that made my father cringe given he doesn't want to bend it.

A physical therapist came to see him. He suggested to keep exercising even if he won't use the lame leg so he retains some ability to stand. He then suggested a scooter - like one of those where you crouch with one knee (the bad one) and use other leg to walk. Just the thought of that made my father cringe given he doesn't want to bend it.
Well he’s got to try something.

Trying to cancel appointments for your father who is losing his vision. I have a date, time, address, physician name and one telephone number that is incomplete and one that has so many digits I think it is ringing Europe.

Got up this Sunday morning. Put on a tie. Started packing all the things I made for Easter lunch and my father is having a Pope Francis/King Charles bad day moment so he won't be attending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom