Disagreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

The only answer: how about a jacket that fits?

View attachment 32234

That's Italian style when it's all gone badly wrong: overly fitted corseted peacock suit for the perceived aesthetic pleasure of their mother or lover boy, nothing work like or practical about it, it's a banker business suit but in drag, nothing serious about it, they don't mean business just effected and feigned sprezza, whilst in reality it's completely stylized, poised and wooden as a Pinocchio marionette:

That's Italian style when it's all gone badly wrong: overly fitted corseted peacock suit for the perceived aesthetic pleasure of their mother or lover boy, nothing work like or practical about it, it's a banker business suit but in drag, nothing serious about it, they don't mean business just effected and feigned sprezza, whilst in reality it's completely stylized, poised and wooden as a Pinocchio marionette:

That is the best description I've read of this sort of ridiculousness. "A banker's suit in drag."

What a massive twat.

I missed the karate photo. Last one I saw was his bespoke leather jacket costing thousands of pounds. He rather undermined the proposition by stating that bespoke and leather does not really work; but he was very eager to show off what he had been told about various leathers and how difficult they were to work with.

I missed the karate photo. Last one I saw was his bespoke leather jacket costing thousands of pounds. He rather undermined the proposition by stating that bespoke and leather does not really work; but he was very eager to show off what he had been told about various leathers and how difficult they were to work with.

Look, we've been through this a thousand times. Crompton is neither a reviewer nor a journalist. He got to the point where he buys stuff just because he can afford it. Thus competely blasting his own pontification about quality not quantity, craftsmanship, and all that nonsense. If a Neapolitan shite-tailor made suits out of cabbage leaves, and put a price tag above £5000, he'd buy the blasted thing and give us a rave review.

His latest piece of tosh is a "sartorial travel guide". How to enlarge your carbon footprint, by Crompers the Righteous.

And why have a comments section at all, if he's going to dismiss anything which isn't fawning praise?

Lol, just Lol!

880155.jpg

Look, we've been through this a thousand times. Crompton is neither a reviewer nor a journalist. He got to the point where he buys stuff just because he can afford it. Thus competely blasting his own pontification about quality not quantity, craftsmanship, and all that nonsense. If a Neapolitan shite-tailor made suits out of cabbage leaves, and put a price tag above £5000, he'd buy the blasted thing and give us a rave review.

His latest piece of tosh is a "sartorial travel guide". How to enlarge your carbon footprint, by Crompers the Righteous.

And why have a comments section at all, if he's going to dismiss anything which isn't fawning praise?
That a great summary there. Absolutely spot on.
I have to say I remain baffled by the number of slavvering admirers he has (along with the obsequious comments he receives). Surely the jig is up for him by now but he still seems to retain a large crowd of acolytes hanging on his every word.

Maybe this is just an adult version of teenage idolisation for people who never grew out of that? I see the same people trotted out over and over wherever style is discussed either in print media or on the internet - Crompron, the Japanese fella with the crooked teeth, the fella from Sotherbys, that disgusting pasty fat bearded tattoed wanker with the shop in the Far East, a couple of grizzled washed up alcoholic looking fellas (Lino? and the other one) ...
it’s a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I’m not sure if their ‘fame’ originates with the fawning sycophants or the media which continually lauds this lot as some kind of cabal of stylistic perfection.

That a great summary there. Absolutely spot on.
I have to say I remain baffled by the number of slavvering admirers he has (along with the obsequious comments he receives). Surely the jig is up for him by now but he still seems to retain a large crowd of acolytes hanging on his every word.

Maybe this is just an adult version of teenage idolisation for people who never grew out of that? I see the same people trotted out over and over wherever style is discussed either in print media or on the internet - Crompron, the Japanese fella with the crooked teeth, the fella from Sotherbys, that disgusting pasty fat bearded tattoed wanker with the shop in the Far East, a couple of grizzled washed up alcoholic looking fellas (Lino? and the other one) ...
it’s a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I’m not sure if their ‘fame’ originates with the fawning sycophants or the media which continually lauds this lot as some kind of cabal of stylistic perfection.

I love you, Great White Snark, and I want to have your babies.

May I just add one item to your list: The Nordic bloke with wide hips and baby teeth. Another "journalist", that one, with photographer in tow.

Oh and the Oxford PPE graduate with the tousled hair. Also a "journalist".

The comments section on Crompers' site should give him pause. Nine out of ten comments are along the lines of "Until you came along, I didn't know my arse from my elbow. You taught me how to dress by providing helpful photoshoots which I follow slavishly. Without you I'd be nothing, etc."

As a researcher on the feminisation of society (and its ardent opponent), I'm disgusted. What are we saying here? That grown men have no aesthetic sense at all. That they need to be spoonfed. A fine generation, we've raised.

Then you go online, and find that they all look the same. Clones of Compers. All dressed as if life were one giant Riviera.

I'd like to see Crompers dressed for a funeral, I really do.

No, but you make a good point. My grandfathers were buried in what we used to call, once upon a time, their "Sunday suit". A black or very dark grey three-piece, cur by some local tailor, out of plain but sturdy wool, handmade, classic, canvassed, the works. White shirt and black shoes, and that was it. There was a sobriety in menswear which has been completely destroyed by the iGents and their ideologue Fuhrers. Crompers likes to pretend that his lifestyle and aesthetic message is pitched at the average man. But it is really far out into the realm of Celebrity Dressing (capital letters are my own, for a reason). And why do most of the gods of menswear writing - from Flusser to "G" Bruce Boyer, to that anonymous bloke of the ridiculously-named Die Workwear - come across as effete ponces?

Haha! I’m definitely going to borrow “effete ponces”!

Flusser is an absolute sloppy mess these days. How can you take him seriously?
Boyer seems to own one brown tweed jacket and navy trousers and that’s it.
I can’t comment on Die Workwear as for all his pontificating I honestly don’t recall seeing a single picture of him anywhere. Surely there must be a pic of him at Pitti doing that detestable ‘thumbs up’ with that Lino fella?
(BTW isn’t Pitti a trade show? Why do people go who aren’t in the business? Are they that desperate to be seen slavvering around their hero ‘influencers’?)

It is, indeed a trade show; the stuff that happens outside with the insufferable peacocks standing around pretending to be distracted is an unfortunate consequence of the igent/social media time we live in.

To Untermensch's earlier point, it does indeed seem that good taste has now been overridden with obnoxiousness and the old rule about knowing how to "follow the rules" before one breaks them seems to be ignored now. Instead, the rule is to mimic people and then call oneself an individual.

(BTW isn’t Pitti a trade show? Why do people go who aren’t in the business? Are they that desperate to be seen slavvering around their hero ‘influencers’?)

This is something that I just don't understand. I mean, I like cars, but I'm not interested in going to a trade show about car parts. The same goes for clothes.

Don't get me wrong - I understand that social media is an incredibly important marketing tool nowadays, particularly for small businesses. However, a lot of the people that go to Pitti for actual work, trying to make connections with other businesses and sign business-to-business agreements, must get rather tired of the hobbyists coming around to ask inane questions about where a particular cloth came from or whether it was sewn by a little Italian granny down the road.

This is something that I just don't understand. I mean, I like cars, but I'm not interested in going to a trade show about car parts. The same goes for clothes.

Don't get me wrong - I understand that social media is an incredibly important marketing tool nowadays, particularly for small businesses. However, a lot of the people that go to Pitti for actual work, trying to make connections with other businesses and sign business-to-business agreements, must get rather tired of the hobbyists coming around to ask inane questions about where a particular cloth came from or whether it was sewn by a little Italian granny down the road.

They absolutely do get tired of the hobbyists. But the galling thing is that the hobbyists don't actually get into the trade show. They hang around outside of it the whole time hoping to get their picture taken and posted by someone. It is really pathetic and sad in a lot of ways.

Haha! I’m definitely going to borrow “effete ponces”!

Flusser is an absolute sloppy mess these days. How can you take him seriously?
Boyer seems to own one brown tweed jacket and navy trousers and that’s it.
I can’t comment on Die Workwear as for all his pontificating I honestly don’t recall seeing a single picture of him anywhere. Surely there must be a pic of him at Pitti doing that detestable ‘thumbs up’ with that Lino fella?

Last edited:
I don't think that's the guy. If I remember correctly the guy in the picture you posted is someone else who started working at some tech company and decided to give up wearing suits.

Yes that’s Phat Guido who used to post pics in decent looking suits but always had to add some stupid gimmick like the idiotic tie thing or tieing a jumper round his shoulders over the suit and whatnot. Oh and of course, OCBD with unbuttoned collar buttons cos that’s what all the kids at school are doing.

What do you expect from the clown who dresses head to toe without irony in matching madras? Or blackwatch?
What’s more fightening is the encouragement and applause he gets for these abberations.

I’ve grown to appreciate a lot of Indure’s outfits, but I will never be onboard for dress cargo pants:
3C77178D-D418-4156-874C-59541405E3D0.jpeg

I’ve grown to appreciate a lot of Indure’s outfits, but I will never be onboard for dress cargo pants:

Back again already?!? I remember seeing dress cargo pants in a few stores about 8-9 years ago.

The fashion cycle seems to be going around faster and faster nowadays.

Back again already?!? I remember seeing dress cargo pants in a few stores about 8-9 years ago.

The fashion cycle seems to be going around faster and faster nowadays.
Yeah but even worse are dress sweat pants. Even Suitsupply has climbed on that rattling bandwagon.
The pic would look OK without the pointless and ugly cargo pocket, which would likely never be used anyway. Just awful.
BTW WTF is going on with that fellas ears? Not sure whether to pour scorn or hold back in case it’s some unfortunate medical affliction.

Dress cargo trousers is a new one for me. Trying hard to be slightly different when normal trousers would have been the obvious choice.

He also has an intensity about him that is rather disturbing - a change from the whimsical, peacock boulevardiers of pitti uomo.

Dress cargo trousers is a new one for me. Trying hard to be slightly different when normal trousers would have been the obvious choice.

He also has an intensity about him that is rather disturbing - a change from the whimsical, peacock boulevardiers of pitti uomo.

There's certainly an earnesty about him, but the disparate element of his goth/ethnic earring is most jarring.

I would go for more sturdy brogues with that country look. The slip-ons even in suede are too dainty for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom