Disagreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

More cosplay.

+1. Exactly.

His Instagram pics look like carbon copies of #menswear's favourite twats seen on any medium or at any Pitti show between 2010 and 2018. It's all there, grenadines, POW, suits with Barbour jackets, vests, 2 to 3 rolls.

Admittedly, from a quick look at his Instagram, he's got some nice outfits and his jackets fit well, too.

However, you're certainly right that it's basically a roll-call of #menswear trends over the past five or so years.

The Gurkha pants (or shorts?) are a silly trend, but for me it’s that big green shirt (pattern copied from the US military slant pocket tropical ripstop fatigue shirt of the mid 1960s) thrown over an ocbd.
OK. The shirt just seems like a beltless safari jacket.

His Instagram pics look like carbon copies of #menswear's favourite twats seen on any medium or at any Pitti show between 2010 and 2018. It's all there, grenadines, POW, suits with Barbour jackets, vests, 2 to 3 rolls. Fucking copycat cosplaying cunt.
Had a look on Instagram. Looked inoffensive, safe clothing to me. OK I don’t like quilted nylon jackets or Barbour but I have seen far worse. All seems to fit well. Certainly no mincing, Nancy boy Pitti choices. Someone could even make a case for ‘Agreeable’ on much of it.

Of course it will speak to us, we're on a forum for this very look after all. It's also admirable in the same way these Japanese magazines describe an outfit down to the buttons of a chino's backpocket but ultimately it's just cringey. Here we have a guy who spent tens of thousands of dollars to look like someone he's seen on the internet and now posts pictures for the internet to score some likes from the very same guys, no real life connection. To me that's just sad, like all those guys in double pleated flannels with 2''cuffs and windowpane jackets. There is no purpose to their style apart from flaunting their money and pretending to like clothes but not fast fashion. He's just one of many classic menswear guys who've fallen for the same scam by some "tailors" who've long gone bust while the looks persists. This is no better than some kind running aroung in Supreme becaue he's a hypebeast.

Of course it will speak to us, we're on a forum for this very look after all. It's also admirable in the same way these Japanese magazines describe an outfit down to the buttons of a chino's backpocket but ultimately it's just cringey. Here we have a guy who spent tens of thousands of dollars to look like someone he's seen on the internet and now posts pictures for the internet to score some likes from the very same guys, no real life connection. To me that's just sad, like all those guys in double pleated flannels with 2''cuffs and windowpane jackets. There is no purpose to their style apart from flaunting their money and pretending to like clothes but not fast fashion. He's just one of many classic menswear guys who've fallen for the same scam by some "tailors" who've long gone bust while the looks persists. This is no better than some kind running aroung in Supreme becaue he's a hypebeast.

His “casual” outfits are the most egregious and derivative outfits. He has embraced the MC “what I think streetwear, workwear and denim should look like but I have no clue other then what I see other suit-wearing guys are wearing improperly.” C

Valstarino and No Man Wanks Alone says all one needs to know. Looks like an old man before his time. A norm core dad.

His thigh length denim jacket is just WTF?
E4817BAC-4277-4F76-9E1A-A60CFBE3DC6F.jpeg

sad
AFB94DD2-1C9A-4F8A-93B7-B53634122F4E.jpeg

His “casual” outfits are the most egregious and derivative outfits. He has embraced the MC “what I think streetwear, workwear and denim should look like but I have no clue other then what I see other suit-wearing guys are wearing improperly.” C

Valstarino and No Man Wanks Alone says all one needs to know. Looks like an old man before his time. A norm core dad.

View attachment 33498

sad
View attachment 33499

I gotta tell ya. I gotta tell ya. Archie Luxury would absolutely love his watches.

ROOOOOOLLLLLEEEXXX and the Omega Moon watch. NO SHITTERS! . (We can ignore the Cartier)

His Instagram is mostly jackets or suits too. So casual stuff is not his forte.

View attachment 33498

sad
View attachment 33499

Indeed, that's not casual, this is:

Peter-O-Toole-582649.jpg

Louche-casual, the only look one needs in these times!

I gotta tell ya. I gotta tell ya. Archie Luxury would absolutely love his watches.

ROOOOOOLLLLLEEEXXX and the Omega Moon watch. NO SHITTERS! . (We can ignore the Cartier)

Funnily enough, I was going to check out how our Archie Luxury was getting on this afternoon. But then I thought better of it. One man's struggle with getting the correct lithium dose right is not really appealing to me at present.

So apparently old army fatigues shirt over #menswear is a thing now.

I like the bead bracelet and cravat, but the whole ensemble would be improved with a bespoke fur lining for the army surplus item.

Good book selection too. The Dandy annual is one of my regular Christmas gifts to younger family members.

He has all the “approved” makers, models and vendors.

If one’s forte is not casual and one is pimping oneself on the interwebz then forte-less attempts should not be visible.

With a quick look about his IG and the cash
It's so 2011-2012.

It's so Craptom/Permanent Style

This is going to be me in another 20 years ...

That would mean you would actually move upstream in the SWD hierarchy of brands.

If he lost the camo pants it is a good workwear top half. A N-1 deck jacket is always a great jacket choice. I'll take a Real McCoys or Buzz Rickson N-1 anyway over a Valstarino bomber-esque jacket. He needs to have a lower profile watch cap. $1500+ outfit just by eyeballing. He spends large on the streetwear/denim brands. He has some good looks and some hideous ones.

I like the bead bracelet and cravat, but the whole ensemble would be improved with a bespoke fur lining for the army surplus item.

Good book selection too. The Dandy annual is one of my regular Christmas gifts to younger family members.

And yet he hangs his paintings in the attic.

This isn't a bad look per-se but his Gurkha pants look a little to nice. Gurkha pants should have a certain ruggedness, and not have such razor sharp creases. Kinda reminds of the bloke who owns a Land Rover but never takes it offroad, for fear of mud or scratches.

I’m so over pocket squares !

Looks like they will be going the same way as those little artificial buttonhole flowers that the trendy New York teacher/tie manufacturer used to favour,

^ I think that it's a bit of a silly article, really.

I have quite a lot of pocket squares but most days I find myself using one of three squares - a plain white linen, a light-blue linen with a rolled white edge, or a white linen with a rolled light-blue edge. They're easy, go with everything, don't look ostentatious but I just feel more "dressed", or finished, while wearing one with a jacket.

I can certainly accept that coloured and patterned silk squares are "dandyish" and that the fashion for them may have perhaps moved on, but a plain linen square?

^ I think that it's a bit of a silly article, really.

I have quite a lot of pocket squares but most days I find myself using one of three squares - a plain white linen, a light-blue linen with a rolled white edge, or a white linen with a rolled light-blue edge. They're easy, go with everything, don't look ostentatious but I just feel more "dressed", or finished, while wearing one with a jacket.

I can certainly accept that coloured and patterned silk squares are "dandyish" and that the fashion for them may have perhaps moved on, but a plain linen square?
I have stopped looking for and selling overly dandy looking designs and enjoy sewing the simple linen and silk pocket squares best.

Looks like they will be going the same way as those little artificial buttonhole flowers that the trendy New York teacher/tie manufacturer used to favour,

Notice the very discrete ad copy: ''The first is carrying a favourite pen or pencil in the outbreast pocket. I usually carry one anyway, and it’s nice to display ones I love like Yard-O-Led silver (above), Dupont lacquer or the 'Perfect Pencil' from Faber-Castell. ''

I always have problems with pocket squares disappearing into the chest pocket. A simple white one seems the way to go. Like Sinatra in a modern display without pretentious black belt in origami folding displays.

There’s an interesting post on SF from I think January of this year when he fesses up to what ‘we‘ (well anyone with a pair of functioning eyes really) knew all along: that he jumped on every bandwagon that came along, spent a shit ton of money on clothes absolutely unnecessary for a school teacher in a casual setting, and has now sacked off his business along with most of his ‘classic’ menswear in favour of jeans and work shirts. Was it on here I read that he said he’d rather spend his extra $$ on a new suit than take the family on vacation?

Takes all sorts!

.....for a school teacher in a casual setting, and has now sacked off his business along with most of his ‘classic’ menswear in favour of jeans and work shirts. Was it on here I read that he said he’d rather spend his extra $$ on a new suit than take the family on vacation?

He's a school teacher?! He does look like one, that secondary school teacher who wants to be in with the groove of the teenage kids.

There’s an interesting post on SF from I think January of this year when he fesses up to what ‘we‘ (well anyone with a pair of functioning eyes really) knew all along: that he jumped on every bandwagon that came along, spent a shit ton of money on clothes absolutely unnecessary for a school teacher in a casual setting, and has now sacked off his business along with most of his ‘classic’ menswear in favour of jeans and work shirts. Was it on here I read that he said he’d rather spend his extra $$ on a new suit than take the family on vacation?

Takes all sorts!

That guy basically went from on extreme to the other, as all those guys do. They go from menswear to streetwear, from streetwear to watches, from watches to HiFi, from HiFi to cycling, from cycling to running and so on. Always in need of the next hit while surfing on an endless wave of consumerism. A person without an identity looking to be someone through buying stuff to get into a crowd. "Proud Southern Italian" from Brooklyn supporting Manchester City, tells you all you need to know. A true never ending story.

Notice the very discrete ad copy: ''The first is carrying a favourite pen or pencil in the outbreast pocket. I usually carry one anyway, and it’s nice to display ones I love like Yard-O-Led silver (above), Dupont lacquer or the 'Perfect Pencil' from Faber-Castell. ''

I always have problems with pocket squares disappearing into the chest pocket. A simple white one seems the way to go. Like Sinatra in a modern display without pretentious black belt in origami folding displays.
My father used to reminisce about his teacher in the small national school in the West of Ireland complaining about returning migrants with a fountain pen on display. Most of them would have been employed in heavy manual labour. No pen required.

He's a school teacher?! He does look like one, that secondary school teacher who wants to be in with the groove of the teenage kids.
The reference is to New York Ranger rather than Mr.Crompton. Mr.C does admittedly look a bit like a schoolteacher - but not in a good way.

Though, if pushed Crompton would probably confess that he would have been a good stand in for Michael Redgrave as Mr. Crocker-Harris in ‘The Browning Version’.

Maybe the handkerchief could now be removed from the breast pocket and stuffed up the shirt sleeve in the old-fashioned posh style of Crocker-Harris?

Last edited:
You might still get away with that look on some building sites, but not in engineering construction and the likes. You will be in your stiff fire retardant overalls, hard hats, goggles, ear protection and steel toe capped boots. You can still get away with the rugged contractor look in some fabrication shops.

Dude, this is America

That guy basically went from on extreme to the other, as all those guys do. They go from menswear to streetwear, from streetwear to watches, from watches to HiFi, from HiFi to cycling, from cycling to running and so on. Always in need of the next hit while surfing on an endless wave of consumerism. A person without an identity looking to be someone through buying stuff to get into a crowd. "Proud Southern Italian" from Brooklyn supporting Manchester City, tells you all you need to know. A true never ending story.
I had to look this up. He has had several name changes over the years. He is now known as NewYorkIslander. I can understand him knocking endless, expensive clothing on the head. What I could not believe is the Manchester City thing. Even worse, he travels to Manchester to watch them and brings his kid!

Unbelievable! I thought he had a New York sports team to follow

Perhaps the most egregious thing of all (we’ll look past the secondary bandwagon jumping of coming up with some excuse to support City just at a time when they happened to be dominant. I wonder where he was when they were in the third division?) was him changing from New York Ranger to New York Islander. I never found out why, but unless you find out that the entire corporate structure of your team are fervent neo Nazis or were all responsible for the My Lai massacre or something similar, you just can NOT change your team. Dem’s the rules!

Perhaps the most egregious thing of all (we’ll look past the secondary bandwagon jumping of coming up with some excuse to support City just at a time when they happened to be dominant. I wonder where he was when they were in the third division?) was him changing from New York Ranger to New York Islander. I never found out why, but unless you find out that the entire corporate structure of your team are fervent neo Nazis or were all responsible for the My Lai massacre or something similar, you just can NOT change your team. Dem’s the rules!
these are good posts

I recall someone inquiring on SF once “what happened to the poster who looked like a homeless guy who’s just broken into a hipster professor’s closet?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom