Disagreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

One size smaller and you could call it sexual abuse.

^To be fair to David Byrne and Talking Heads, he wanted to look odd so he deliberately had an oversized suit made for the "Stop Making Sense" tour.

^To be fair to David Byrne and Talking Heads, he wanted to look odd so he deliberately had an oversized suit made for the "Stop Making Sense" tour.

That was for the stage tour. He got the idea from Kabuki theatre: everything on stage is bigger than real life.

Still the ultimate concert film by Johnathan Demme.

I saw it live in Melb - worked well. Great gig.

The was the last concert tour of Talking Heads and they played their last gig in New Zealand, which was spoilt because Byrne had become a prone to tantrum fits:

The best you can say, he's somewhat distracted.

Are any of those Nike sneakers the legendary as worn by the Heaven Gate cult who got a job lot at a good price?

Here in the Netherlands, the youth are completely the opposite, they boast about how cheap and how much a bargain they've bought stuff for. I thought it was just my kids having been inculcated by the missus to never buy anything full price or buy blatant brands. I get roped into dropping the eldest off at their school a lot, and they're all dressed the same: white sneakers (non-obvious branded) jeans and Primark type stuff across the sexes. It's actually pretty dull, when I started secondary school in 1982 there was a couple of punks and Polydor mods in school. Then you had the terrace casual look, the first wave of shell suits and the quite distinctive Smiths fan look. A couple of goths too.

Back in the day what kids wore reflected what music they listened to. I don't know if any music group has any particular dress anymore or cultural lifestyle associated with it. Music and lifestyle used to go hand in hand. Now who knows what the hell music is about.

Has the interconnection between music, subcultures and identity broken apart or am I just too old to recognize whatever it is the kids are into today? Also, HET OFF MY LAWN.

Has the interconnection between music, subcultures and identity broken apart or am I just too old to recognize whatever it is the kids are into today? Also, HET OFF MY LAWN.

The connection seems broken, although there's a lot of Bananarama jeans going on at the moment.

My kids have this app where they can all see each others playlists and I can tell you with some confidence they're all listening to 80s pop in abundance. There's a couple of weirdos in their sixth form who listen to The Rolling Stones which I always considered the middle and upper class version of The Who.

Not all kids dress aligned with their taste in music. Mine certainly didn't. In fact I've always hated that music as an extension of a lifestyle bollocks.

I spent the early 80s dressed in the finest Tennis/golf wear and music wise, listened to what the fuck I wanted too.

I spent the early 80s dressed in the finest Tennis/golf wear and ...

then you finally lost your virginity?

Haha, I was dressing like a complete muppet - copying the Jesus and Mary Chain style and then later Ride and Slowdive. But that was the look the girls dug, back then.

My mission was to dress like Paul Weller and Mick Talbot on The Style Council EP's and Cafe Bleu. Later it was The Smiths look: all denim, suede pointy shoes and nubuck leather jackets from Lakeland. That look lasted a long time, I remember it was around 1990 and I was entering a train station and some young whipper-snapper turned to his mates and pointed at me and exclaimed ''Smiths fan!''

There was two summers in '88/'89 when it was all Ocean Pacific and Mambo sweat and t-shirts. I was into the Talking Heads at that stage and I had some Lacoste I had bought in Tenerife so I could do the '77/'78 David Byrne look as well. I remember walking into a particularly awful ''estate pub'' in a rather garish Mambo t-shirt with a high neck and some Tiki themed motifs and all these dour Vauxhall car factory line workers turned to me and snarled. The response from the bar lady was not much better. Those estate pubs were never much fun and cheer. There was always a miserable cheapness to them and edge it might just all kick-off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom