Disagreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

Is there any Gen Xer that didn't have a pair of Sambas at one point or another?

Me. For some reason, Adidas never fitted my feet well, so I wore Puma and Nike instead.

Way, way back in time when you could just go to the shops and pick up a pair of Nike shoes without having to enter a lottery, line up for ages, or pay a reseller, I walked in to my local department store and walked out with a pair of these:

https://news.nike.com/news/the-nike-air-trainer-1-through-defiance-a-legend-is-born

1fda7477-nike-sb-air-trainer-1-chlorophyll-release-date-1.jpeg

This was back when the Air Jordans were first out, from memory, and so I got a bit of flak from other kids at school, who said that I should have got Jordans instead. However, I didn't care about basketball and didn't want basketball boots so had no idea why anyone would want a pair of Jordans!

I once heard, that at one point (and to make a point), Adidas made a shoo, for every olympic sport.

I once heard, that at one point (and to make a point), Adidas made a shoo, for every olympic sport.

Well, that was probably a lot easier to do some decades ago, when footwear was simpler and you would wear the same shoes for a variety of different sports or activities!

Adidas was a very sports-oriented brand - the forerunner to Adidas (Dassler Brothers Shoemaker) made track and field shoes from the mid-1920s onwards and persuaded Jesse Owens to wear their shoes for the 1936 Berlin Olympics, where he won four gold medals.

Of course, the Dassler Brothers later had a falling out - one of them kept the business and renamed it after himself, Adolf "Adi" Dassler. The other brother started his own shoe business on the other side of town, and called it Puma.

Well, that was probably a lot easier to do some decades ago, when footwear was simpler and you would wear the same shoes for a variety of different sports or activities!

Adidas was a very sports-oriented brand - the forerunner to Adidas (Dassler Brothers Shoemaker) made track and field shoes from the mid-1920s onwards and persuaded Jesse Owens to wear their shoes for the 1936 Berlin Olympics, where he won four gold medals.

Of course, the Dassler Brothers later had a falling out - one of them kept the business and renamed it after himself, Adolf "Adi" Dassler. The other brother started his own shoe business on the other side of town, and called it Puma.

Bugger. So the Australian pronunciation is wrong. I’ve been saying ‘adeedus’ all my life.

Dear Muffy,

What does The Community think of bright red overcoats for gentlemen?

Dear Muffy,

What does The Community think of bright red overcoats for gentlemen?
Lovely when worn by women, shit when worn by men.

Don’t forget Roark’s Drift!

Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you, I was there...

IMG_0532.jpg

With my chums...

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

My photos at Rorke's Drift were a bit poor. The last one shows the hill over which the Impi came. There's no real perspective, even with the caves and trees. Completely unlike Isandlwana where the scale of the landscape, battle and the extended firing line and grave kerns are awe inspiring and overwhelming even on a mobile camera.

Both battle sites will illicit a spiritual reverence for the absurdity and bravery of that very pointless war. I didn't a shed a tear, but I was close.

I’ve stood on a few battle sites (both famous and less so) that had that effect on me. I’m not really superstitious, but I did feel that some sort of spirit was present.

Young Fogey meets Fedora Lounge.

Here is the main culprit, an academic who often poses with books or stands in a strange looking stance. He even has a 1940s haircut:-

Young Fogey meets Fedora Lounge.

Here is the main culprit, an academic who often poses with books or stands in a strange looking stance. He even has a 1940s haircut:-

Just been through the whole sordid thread...

I take great comfort it's only 12 pages.

Background of the moderator on FNB when it closed - ‘Part anthropologist and part fashion curator’.

It was just him and the other annoying one(not woofboxer) talking to themselves at the end.

Background of the moderator on FNB when it closed - ‘Part anthropologist and part fashion curator’.

It was just him and the other annoying one(not woofboxer) talking to themselves at the end.
Another earnest young fellow taken to the post-modernist cul-de-sac.

Such a shame that that prat was allowed to take over and effectively ruin FNB. It was quite amusing when Goodyear Welt (who had had a couple of tellings off by our young English teacher) would refer to him as Berk.

GW was always good for the banter.

FNB replied to an email a few weeks ago I sent him that he would get the forum back up, but it doesn't seem to have happened.

GW was always good for the banter.

FNB replied to an email a few weeks ago I sent him that he would get the forum back up, but it doesn't seem to have happened.
Let's keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully, the posters on here can do double duty and the prats can be told to stay on Ivy Style with Chenners and the ghost of JFM (Rip).

Such a shame that that prat was allowed to take over and effectively ruin FNB. It was quite amusing when Goodyear Welt (who had had a couple of tellings off by our young English teacher) would refer to him as Berk.
GW used to be quite aggressive when he first showed up. Then after he reappeared he had calmed down a lot. It was only him on The Wardrobe at the end - along with an amusing troll whose name I forget.

The other chap always used to ask ‘is this forum dead?’ and pose questions about which calatrava he should buy or what limited, but expensive, clothing should be on his list. He was Russell Street quality. That now sounds like a box of chocolates reading it back.

The other chap always used to ask ‘is this forum dead?’ and pose questions about which calatrava he should buy or what limited, but expensive, clothing should be on his list. He was Russell Street quality. That now sounds like a box of chocolates reading it back.

Oh, I forgot about him. Beestonplace maybe?

Chuckle.

Even though I've been sent to Coventry often, I've never worked for the 'big 4'.

Clearly, somebody doesn't know their English geography.

Same here, mainly for stealing girlfriends off lesser mortals. One of the times, such was my superior demeanour, I didn't even know until somebody told me, so I just carried on regardless.

20210220_021025-jpg.1558497

my eyes go from brown on the left to brown on the right and back. I can feel my brain cells exploding, but I can't look away. help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom