Disagreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

Pimpernel Smith

You looking for a girl?

Quite expensive that PrivateWhite VC, €975 for what is effectively a Barbour:

It does have a bit more waxed style about it though.

Good to see rag trade manufacturing back in Manchester.

Journeyman

Supporter
Not quite sure whether this is the right place for it, but it appears that Styleforum favourite, Spier & Mackay, may have hemmed someone's trousers just a little bit shorter than requested:

Spier Mackay trousers.jpeg

Arnathor

The Hamiltonian Hung Like a Horse
Supporter
Not quite sure whether this is the right place for it, but it appears that Styleforum favourite, Spier & Mackay, may have hemmed someone's trousers just a little bit shorter than requested:

View attachment 36806
Recently they had a sport coat clearance that looked very tempting, but I've had a couple OCBDs from them that buttons fell off in the first wash and the oxford was rougher than sand-paper. So that kept me away from those.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Recently they had a sport coat clearance that looked very tempting, but I've had a couple OCBDs from them that buttons fell off in the first wash and the oxford was rougher than sand-paper. So that kept me away from those.

Their sports coats, trousers and suits with fabric from known mills are good value on sale. All the shirting is cheap and available in a wide size range (extra slim fit!) - but the fabric also feels rough, thin and cheap.

I think the best value thing I got from them were some really nice, basic repp silk ties for $25 each.

Sauce

The Mods are back. Never gonna see 50 again but still intent on dressing like he did back in 84. Matching orange shoes with an orange polo and orange frames on his nonce, sorry I mean sun, glasses. Adding a bit of flair to an otherwise conservative outfit of white Levis and Trucker. To show he isn't taking himself to seriously he's added a star Sheriff badge, a vintage collectors item that he got from Nestle in exchange for 40 Milky Bar wrappers back in 1978. Pure fanny magnet, but without the magnet.

1617802734936.png

Pimpernel Smith

The Mods are back. Never gonna see 50 again but still intent on dressing like he did back in 84. Matching orange shoes with an orange polo and orange frames on his nonce, sorry I mean sun, glasses. Adding a bit of flair to an otherwise conservative outfit of white Levis and Trucker. To show he isn't taking himself to seriously he's added a star Sheriff badge, a vintage collectors item that he got from Nestle in exchange for 40 Milky Bar wrappers back in 1978. Pure fanny magnet, but without the magnet.

View attachment 36815

I forgot about this chap. Thanks for reminding me. I like The Jam, TSC and most of Paul Weller's stuff except for a couple of albums where he churned out some garbage. His last few have been up there with his best. He's on form with a very tight band which can more than make up for his coke, woodbines and whisky ravaged voice.

I'm surprised anyone taking Bruce Foxton as a style icon, but then to demonstrate it, he takes an image of Paul Weller in TSC as inspiration. Says it all really. If he had said: Mick Talbot, now there's my man.

And what is he doing with a cheap pair of those plastic sunglasses for kids? Oh I see they're Ray Ban New Wayfarer 2132. One to give a miss.

There's a lesson there, what looked good on TSC back in 1984, doesn't look good on the middle aged dude. The older dad trying to look like king of the hip doesn't look good on the school run. And I've seen it many times.

Sauce

Some of my favorite albums are by The Jam, TSC and PW. I looked at Weller as a style leader through his Jam and TSC years. I think that whole mod look was tied in with the colourways and fashion of the period. Some of it would look bad on anyone of any age now, such as above. But the early Cafe Bleu look would be ok, maybe. Minus the white socks. Never really saw Bruce or Rick as into "it", not like Weller was, or Talbot.

I was a mod for many years, needs toning down as you get older. Leaves me cold these days when I see it on people my age. I guess he's in his comfort zone. Stagnation really.

Last edited:

Lumpen

View attachment 36815

Sting!

Very good

Pimpernel Smith

Some of my favorite albums are by The Jam, TSC and PW. I looked at Weller as a style leader through his Jam and TSC years. I think that whole mod look was tied in with the colourways and fashion of the period. Some of it would look bad on anyone of any age now, such as above. But the early Cafe Bleu look would be ok, maybe. Minus the white socks. Never really saw Bruce or Rick as into "it", not like Weller was, or Talbot.

I was a mod for many years, needs toning down as you get older. Leaves me cold these days when I see it on people my age. I guess he's in his comfort zone. Stagnation really.
Cafe Bleu in vinyl was a breakthrough on all fronts, except that one dodgy rap track, which Weller repeated on The Cost of Loving. You had the booklet by the Cappucino Kid and the cappucino B-side.

The best thing my father ever said to me, I think it was based on my blond wiry hair a the time was ''You look like a cross between Mick Talbot and Michael Caine.''

As you get older, you need to move towards something that has a bit more gravitas. Weller has done that, musically and style wise. He calls himself a mod still, but he's not hanging around in a parka and doing Brighton his vespa.

He looks a lot better than say Ali Campbell who looks like he's off to play darts.

Sting!

Very good
Sting was only a mod in the film Quadrophenia.

We use have an office in Figline Valdarno where Sting has his estate. The agreement with the local market and shop keepers was that they would just ignore his ''Sting'' credentials and treat him the same as any customer. Great hotel there with a fish restaurant at the back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom