Famous People Who Died

A bigger loss than that nazi fuck prince Phillip
When you accuse someone of being a ''nazi fuck'' try and spell their name right.

Interesting that you accuse someone who fought against Nazism, as part of the Greatest Generation, of being a Nazi.

When you accuse someone of being a ''nazi fuck'' try and spell their name right.

Interesting that you accuse someone who fought against Nazism, as part of the Greatest Generation, of being a Nazi.
oooooh i've tarnished his legacy with an extra letter L.

i'm sure he's in hell with his four nazi sisters and their SS husbands.

oooooh i've tarnished his legacy with an extra letter L.

i'm sure he's in hell with his four nazi sisters and their SS husbands.
You can't pick your family, but at least you pick your friends.

You haven't tarnished his legacy, you've made yourself look wilfully ignorant, that's all.

You're wasting your time. History is too complicated a subject for Rambo...

This 'greatest generation' thing is arrant nonsense. The gatekeepers of time would chortle as these bombastic claims made by peeps.

Prince Philip was a man of 'his time'. Not be lionised or condemned but contextualised. He was a most interesting man

This 'greatest generation' thing is arrant nonsense. The gatekeepers of time would chortle as these bombastic claims made by peeps.

Until such time you can contextualise the Greatest Generation a bit better for us unenlightened peeps, I will continue to use the term, thank you very much.

Uh oh, formby is going to get you over this one
Where have I ever mentioned the term 'greatest generation'? Every generation thinks it's the greatest.

My barb was squarely aimed at you. Accusing a man, who at the time was a child of being a Nazi on the basis that 3 of his elder sisters married Nazis is asinine.

Did you know his mother Princess Alice is Righteous amongst the Nations?

As I said, history is too complicated a subject for you...

Last edited:
Jim Steinman, who pretty much peaked with the original song writing and producing of Bat Out of Hell, which I think, hasn't dated that well. But it did stay in the charts for a hell of a long time.

Jim Steinman, who pretty much peaked with the original song writing and producing of Bat Out of Hell, which I think, hasn't dated that well. But it did stay in the charts for a hell of a long time.
Nothing at All (Air Supply) and Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler) were written and produced by him and were #1 and #2 on the charts post-BOOH. Lots of other production and writing. So not just a one-trick pony.

Nothing at All (Air Supply) and Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler) were written and produced by him and were #1 and #2 on the charts post-BOOH. Lots of other production and writing. So not just a one-trick pony.
At the album level, as a sustained piece of work, that was his masterpiece.

Nothing at All (Air Supply)

Air Supply - now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time [/Obi-wan Kenobi voice].

They were popular while I was in primary school, but after that I didn't hear anything about them. Then, when I was in Japan in the late 1990s, I saw posters advertising a tour by Air Supply, playing at large arenas in Tokyo and Osaka! I asked a friend about it and she said that Air Supply was very popular in Japan, releasing Japan-specific material and touring multiple times.

Ive always had a soft spot for Jim Steinmans overwrought pop stuff.
When was the last time you listened to any of it?

I recently put on Bat Out of Hell and it was so dated. I was quite surprised at how underwhelmed by it I was. Considering that was his masterpiece. But maybe, I should listen to it again...

Last edited:
I see there has been no mention of the demise of former Vice President Walter Mondale. Poor fellow seemed to have faded into obscurity after his monumentally unsuccessful presidential bid in 1984. However, I suppose having "Vice President of the United States 1977-1981" on your headstone trumps most men's achievements, certainly mine.

When was the last time you listened to any of it?

I recently put on Bat Out of Hell and it was so dated. I was quite surprised at how underwhelmed by it I was. Considering that was his masterpiece. But maybe, I should listen to it again...
I still listen to BOOH regularly and like fxh fxh i still dig the overwroughtness of it all. I know that is not a real word.

The whole album is great
I equate it with Rocky Horror or any rock opera. A whole different beast.

This is the next-gen influenced by Richard O'Brian (Rocky Horror) to Steinman to Stephen Trask (Hedwig and the Angry Inch).

It is all pop rock broadway schlock. Christ, there is a lot of Barry Manilow in this stuff if you look close enough. The anthemic tunes. Ballads. Crescendo.

Add some guitar, more juvenile imagery and a fat guy and you have meatloaf. Put in a trans and you have Hedwig.

At its core it is Sinatra style popular music + old school rock and roll. Chuck Berry. Entertainers. Showmen. Costumes. Elton. The Killers, Zappa and the New York Dolls cum Buster Poindexter.

HI Camp.

Last edited:
I still listen to BOOH regularly and like fxh fxh i still dig the overwroughtness of it all. I know that is not a real word.
Good for you! I just don't get it anymore like Stax and Motown.
Its very OTT-ness is part of its charm...
It's the rock equivalent of Andrew Lloyd Webber.
I equate it with Rocky Horror or any rock opera. A whole different beast.

This is the next-gen influenced by Richard O'Brian (Rocky Horror) to Steinman to Stephen Trask (Hedwig and the Angry Inch).

It is all pop rock broadway schlock. Christ, there is a lot of Barry Manilow in this stuff if you look close enough. The anthemic tunes. Ballads. Crescendo.

Add some guitar, more juvenile imagery and a fat guy and you have meatloaf. Put in a trans and you have Hedwig.

At its core it is Sinatra style popular music + old school rock and roll. Chuck Berry. Entertainers. Showmen. Costumes. Elton. The Killers, Zappa and the New York Dolls cum Buster Poindexter.

HI Camp.

Sinatra? Not quite convinced.

I prefer my rock operas to be more gritty and appealing to welders and foreman riggers. I'm talking about Tommy and Quadrophenia.

I like that yellow tartan scarf as well. I remember that song too.

I was fortunate that my mother came from a very large family and she had kids very young and so there was plenty of aunties and uncles who use to babysit for us in the 70s and early 80s who were teenagers. I remember the music they were into, they would bring cassette tapes to play and the elder boys would bring those large party cans of lager you had to pierce with a can opener.

The Bay City Rollers were one, Suzi Quatro, David Bowie. I can remember my uncle having a conversation with my father before he and mother left for the evening about how David Bowie thought he was an alien and had a square eye. Another one I remember, and it must have been 1978/79, my uncle playing Tom Robinson's Winter of 79 and how it was about a fascist takeover of the UK if the dreaded Tories got in. One of my uncles in 1982 lent my sister his Heaven 17 Penthouse & Pavement. An album I've been listening to for nearly 40 years now and even my kids like some tracks and have a made a couple of their Spotify lists.

I like that yellow tartan scarf as well. I remember that song too.

I was fortunate that my mother came from a very large family and she had kids very young and so there was plenty of aunties and uncles who use to babysit for us in the 70s and early 80s who were teenagers. I remember the music they were into, they would bring cassette tapes to play and the elder boys would bring those large party cans of lager you had to pierce with a can opener.

The Bay City Rollers were one, Suzi Quatro, David Bowie. I can remember my uncle having a conversation with my father before he and mother left for the evening about how David Bowie thought he was an alien and had a square eye. Another one I remember, and it must have been 1978/79, my uncle playing Tom Robinson's Winter of 79 and how it was about a fascist takeover of the UK if the dreaded Tories got in. One of my uncles in 1982 lent my sister his Heaven 17 Penthouse & Pavement. An album I've been listening to for nearly 40 years now and even my kids like some tracks and have a made a couple of their Spotify lists.
Valerie, the girl who sat next to me was a fanatic. She would always pull out Tiger Beat or one of those teen mags and regale me with what was going on in the lads' lives.

There were so many great power pop outfits in the mid-seventies (Big Star, Badfinger, the Raspberries, Cheap Trick, etc), but BCR were crap.

what ever happened to fat singers? everyone now has to be a fucking model.

True, but wasn’t this always the case? I’m really struggling to come up with fat pop/rock singers. Matthew Sweet got fat after achieving mild fame, like Jim Morrison. Who am I missing?

Badfinger and Cheap Trick still rool.

Big Star mega rool. Well, the first two albums. I wish they would stop releasing demos, outtakes and all the other crap that diluted the pure majesty of those first two records though.

True, but wasn’t this always the case? I’m really struggling to come up with fat pop/rock singers. Matthew Sweet got fat after achieving mild fame, like Jim Morrison. Who am I missing?

Big Star mega rool. Well, the first two albums. I wish they would stop releasing demos, outtakes and all the other crap that diluted the pure majesty of those first two records though.
No we mostly had fat r&b singers. Most rockers are skinny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom