Famous People Who Died

He had a certain charm and charisma, like the Gallic version of Roger Moore. But with less class distinction.

Quite a few of his films are on Netflix in the Netherlands, (re)watched most of them.

This is perhaps the worse one, great theme tune though:

Author of wonderful theological polemics. The guy put the radicalism back into Christianity.

153BA5C9-F84A-4720-AB7A-8E9E6A4B49A5.jpeg

Gosh, I honestly thought he'd died a couple of decades back!

I remember his writings were quite popular back in the 1990s, but I really haven't read anything about him since then.
The pace slowed down a lot, but he was still putting out books into his 80s.

He was still a radical within the church in the 90s, but twenty years later his views were so widely accepted within - while trad/conservative churches ignored his heresies. So not many appearances on Donahue.

For all his efforts to bring Christianity into the 21st century, by making it relevant as a social movement and removing a lot of the ‘magic’ - I think he failed to predict a generation of young people who wanted all the spiritualism and theism: yoga, occult, eastern religions, Norse shit, etc. As far as socially active, radical Christianity, the Episcopal church has definitely moved far to the left but hasn’t done much better than anyone else in attracting younger generations. The biggest lefty churches for young people are new and evangelical.

^ What was the accident, I wonder? He tripped and fell into the hole he'd dug?

At the risk of being tasteless, now they can bury Brigden and his beloved pet dog together.

The pace slowed down a lot, but he was still putting out books into his 80s.

He was still a radical within the church in the 90s, but twenty years later his views were so widely accepted within - while trad/conservative churches ignored his heresies. So not many appearances on Donahue.

For all his efforts to bring Christianity into the 21st century, by making it relevant as a social movement and removing a lot of the ‘magic’ - I think he failed to predict a generation of young people who wanted all the spiritualism and theism: yoga, occult, eastern religions, Norse shit, etc. As far as socially active, radical Christianity, the Episcopal church has definitely moved far to the left but hasn’t done much better than anyone else in attracting younger generations. The biggest lefty churches for young people are new and evangelical.

I was aware of Bishop Spong back in the 1970s at the time I was leaving the Episcopal Church, was surprised that he had croaked only just now. Guys like him, who pushed through the ordination of women, are why I left the Episcopal Church. How could Spong have failed to predict a generation of young people who were into "yoga, occult, eastern religions, etc."? That stuff was rampant among young people in the late '60s and '70s, much more then than now, it's my impression. I don't think Nordic neo-paganism had much of a following back then. Does it now? Are there many "lefty" evangelical churches? I have been aware that there are some lefty evangelical Xians, but "lefty evangelical" still sounds almost like a contradiction in terms to me, and I suspect most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom