General fitness

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
Unfortunately, my fitness regimen has ground to an abrupt halt lately. Last week, I was advised by one of the area's leading doctors in the area of sports medicine to cease all heavy gripping for about a month to give my right forearm a rest. Today, I saw my primary physician for a swollen calf. He believes it may be a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot). This could have fatal consequences. In any event, if I vanish from the forum indefinitely, that's probably what will have happened.

Ironically, yesterday I finally received the 75-pound kettlebell my wife ordered for my birthday in March. It is in the shape of a grizzly bear's head. I just hope I survive to get some mileage out of "Monarch," as I named him in honor of the last California grizzly in captivity. Monarch was put down 106 years ago. He was a big bear, weighed 1,129 pounds, as I recall, although captivity had rendered him somewhat obese.
sorry to hear about this Jan. your doctor have you on blood thinners? what's the prognosis? forearm strains are VERY common. i was dealing with one a few years ago that i couldn't shake for months.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
Unfortunately, my fitness regimen has ground to an abrupt halt lately. Last week, I was advised by one of the area's leading doctors in the area of sports medicine to cease all heavy gripping for about a month to give my right forearm a rest. Today, I saw my primary physician for a swollen calf. He believes it may be a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot). This could have fatal consequences. In any event, if I vanish from the forum indefinitely, that's probably what will have happened.

Ironically, yesterday I finally received the 75-pound kettlebell my wife ordered for my birthday in March. It is in the shape of a grizzly bear's head. I just hope I survive to get some mileage out of "Monarch," as I named him in honor of the last California grizzly in captivity. Monarch was put down 106 years ago. He was a big bear, weighed 1,129 pounds, as I recall, although captivity had rendered him somewhat obese.
All the best Jan. DVT is pretty easy to fix - no?

Jan Libourel

Ratings
Thanks for the kind wishes, gentlemen. My physician has me on Xarelto (a blood thinner) at the moment. We'll know more after I undergo some sort of scan on Friday.

I just hope I can resume a full fitness regimen by the end of the month.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
Its an alternative to warfarin = rat poison - careful your kids don't up the dose surreptitiously.

Monkeyface

Monochromatic Clothing Troll
Supporter
Ratings
Went from barely being able to lift the bar to benching a plate in about 1.5 months time. Guess muscle memory really is a thing?

I'm a little hesistant to try deadlifting and squads again, just because of the load on the spine, but other back exercises are going well.

Still having lots of trouble with core exercises and making little progress there, prob because of a combination of lots of deep scar tissue (thoracic diaphragm is often hurt the most in thoracic vertebrae fractures) and the resulting inflexibility.

Does anyone know of any good core exercises besides planks? I can do a plank for about 30secs, really not seeing any progress despite working out 3 times a week and doing yoga twice a week.

Pauly Chase Pauly Chase

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
Still having lots of trouble with core exercises and making little progress there, prob because of a combination of lots of deep scar tissue (thoracic diaphragm is often hurt the most in thoracic vertebrae fractures) and the resulting inflexibility.
do not even think of attempting these:

I'm a little hesistant to try deadlifting and squads again, just because of the load on the spine, but other back exercises are going well.
until you fix the core strength and flexibility. however long it takes. i CANNOT stress this enough - core is everything to squats and deadlifts.

Monkeyface

Supporter
Ratings
do not even think of attempting these:

until you fix the core strength and flexibility. however long it takes. i CANNOT stress this enough - core is everything to squats and deadlifts.
Agreed. My doc said the same. Thanks for the head's up though.
Even have to be careful with shoulder exercises, because it's hard to keep my back straight. Just need extra rest in between sets so my core can recover.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
Agreed. My doc said the same. Thanks for the head's up though.
Even have to be careful with shoulder exercises, because it's hard to keep my back straight. Just need extra rest in between sets so my core can recover.
take your time. what's the rush? you'll be working out on venice beach in a few months anyway.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
I've been doing about 50 minutes a day - alternating dead weights for muscle mass and decline sit-ups for abs and cardio. Four months without a day off and I'm thinking of moving to a schedule of one day off a week - so a two day gap between sit-ups on the weekend.

Bad idea?

Monkeyface

Supporter
Ratings
I've been doing about 50 minutes a day - alternating dead weights for muscle mass and decline sit-ups for abs and cardio. Four months without a day off and I'm thinking of moving to a schedule of one day off a week - so a two day gap between sit-ups on the weekend.

Bad idea?
Depends on the intensity. Are you working out till failure? High rep/low rep?
Some rest isn't a bad idea, especially if you're hitting a plateau. Sometimes taking a week off can work wonders.

Monkeyface

Supporter
Ratings
Yep, I've been pushing it pretty hard. Most weights work is 3x10 and my limbs are shaking by the end.
Take some rest. Or deload for a week. Are you eating enough? So you've been working out for 4 months, means you should've gained at least 8-10lbs of bodyweight.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
Take some rest. Or deload for a week. Are you eating enough? So you've been working out for 4 months, means you should've gained at least 8-10lbs of bodyweight.
I think I'll start taking Sundays off and if the gym is pure cardio at the conference I'm going to later this month, I'll take that week off.

I've never been able to put on body fat, so for me adding 5lbs of muscle is pretty extreme. I'd say I'm looking as ripped as I did in my prime twenty years ago.

Eating is a struggle. I'm supplementing protein to my diet, but not keeping up with carbs - which saps my energy levels some days.

Monkeyface

Supporter
Ratings
I think I'll start taking Sundays off and if the gym is pure cardio at the conference I'm going to later this month, I'll take that week off.

I've never been able to put on body fat, so for me adding 5lbs of muscle is pretty extreme. I'd say I'm looking as ripped as I did in my prime twenty years ago.

Eating is a struggle. I'm supplementing protein to my diet, but not keeping up with carbs - which saps my energy levels some days.
I meant 8-10lbs of muscle. Including fat you're probably looking around 12lbs, but it's not an exact science.

You need to eat big. Nuts and seeds can easily be added to most diets if you're not getting enough, or some pieces of 85%-90% pure chocolate. Small but calorie dense. Oatmeal is an easy way to add carbs, as it only takes 2mins to prepare. Lifting weights without eating enough is pointless. Are you at least seeing some progress in the amount of weight you can lift?

Im sure Pauly can help more.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
Yeh, I've probably lost a scarce pound of fat and added five of additional muscle. I'm eating about 100-120g of protein a day, but carbs are a struggle. I'm happy with my progress but it's starting to plateau, which I'm ok with.

sirloin

Ratings
Went from barely being able to lift the bar to benching a plate in about 1.5 months time. Guess muscle memory really is a thing?

Does anyone know of any good core exercises besides planks? I can do a plank for about 30secs, really not seeing any progress despite working out 3 times a week and doing yoga twice a week.

Pauly Chase Pauly Chase
You could look into; Leg raises, back extensions, ab wheel (only when core is strong enough), trx jack knife, stability ball rollout, anything hiphinge (typically kettlebells) and goblet squat.

Jan Libourel

Ratings
Just an update when I said I might have a blood clot in my leg. I was given an ultrasound tests and was relieved to learn that there was no blood clot. I was a little skeptical about the possibility of a blood clot since I tend to bleed like the proverbial stuck pig.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Eighty percent of men get prostate cancer by age 80. The longer you live as a man - the more inevitable it is. What's the point again?

formby

Ratings

Bad idea?
If you are training every day, you are overtraining. Your muscles only grow when they are resting.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Don't worry, with the amount of drinking you're doing it'll be your liver that goes first.
Smashing prognosis. Thank you doc.

Most men die with prostate cancer not of prostate cancer.
Yeah I don't want to die with any malady. My last physical was 17 and that was only because my mother insisted before my sojourn to Asia. Damned critters.

Top Bottom