General fitness

I went to coach my team's semi-final last night. During warm-up I bumped the ball a little bit no pain at all then my teammate hit the ball with pace to my side, swung my arms around and the 'normal' impact put pressure on the wrong part of my shoulder with extreme pain. Yeah it was stupid.

Now I'm a total invalid and have to walk like a hick with hand in pocket with thumb sticking out to immobilize my arm.

I went to coach my team's semi-final last night. During warm-up I bumped the ball a little bit no pain at all then my teammate hit the ball with pace to my side, swung my arms around and the 'normal' impact put pressure on the wrong part of my shoulder with extreme pain. Yeah it was stupid.

Now I'm a total invalid and have to walk like a hick with hand in pocket with thumb sticking out to immobilize my arm.
Roll up a pack of smokes in your t-shirt sleeve. Try to make it look authentic.

I made mistake of putting on a cotton t-shirt earlier today, doesn't stretch like my bamboo ones, so had to have my mother help take it off. Only buttoned shirts now on.

My female therapist just texted back with exclamation regarding having to postpone her massage though. She's giving me a massage instead next week.

She only straddles me on my back (butt) so far. I guess I should've asked whether she does this with other clients or not?

I either have some health issue or I'm just getting old.

I tend to sweat on my forehead quite a bit, but it only takes about 5 or 10 minutes and a glass of cold water for me to acclimate anywhere - 30c with a jacket on, or whatever the situation is. Anyway, it's happening a bit more often now - even walking up three or four flights of stairs at the office, just walking 15 minutes to work on a day >15c or working out every weekend. When I spend 45 minutes on the elliptical, it's almost as if I poured a water bottle over the top of my head.

My resting heart rate is creeping up too. Walking around in the city, going up and down subway stairs, etc. can bring it up to 90 or 100. Conversely, one of my friends has a very low rate (50) and she barely breaks a sweat. Of course she has far more endurance than I do. I read recently that sweating doesn't mean you're burning off more calories - it just means your body has issues at controlling its internal temperature.

(Oh yes, I know, I should stop smoking, stop drinking, start exercising 3 times a week, stop sitting at an office or massage parlour waiting area all day....)

Last edited:
Through no special work on my part, my standing pulse is around 50 recently, and weight has stabilized to the old point despite continued crap intake.

Hmm I'm thinking my constant sweating in a suit and tie walking 15 minutes to work in the morning at 23c+ temperatures may be related to my liver.

I bought Hayabusa boxing gloves and my boss gave me an old heavy bag, I plan on beating the shit out of the bag and then doing body-weight training, i.e. lots of push-ups and lifting the 50 pound weighted bar I have.

I bought Hayabusa boxing gloves and my boss gave me an old heavy bag, I plan on beating the shit out of the bag and then doing body-weight training, i.e. lots of push-ups and lifting the 50 pound weighted bar I have.

Listen to the eye of the tiger too

Listen to the eye of the tiger too

95169-rocky4gs5.gif

Why did he get rid of his wife?

Haha. From what I can tell, you are not fat. Besides don't you farm? Farmers aren't dat.

I dirty bulked for about two years, the worst mistake one can make to increase body mass. My weight increased from about 185 to 220. I was able to push serious weights, but also had a huge gut.

Currently I follow a 3 day split:
Day 1: chest and back
Day 2: shoulders/bis/tris
Day 3: legs (mainly deadlifts/lunges/and weightless exercises)
A little bit of abs every day and mild cardio every other day if time permitting. I prefer basic lifts such as presses, rows, dips, and deadlifts. I rarely do any isolated exercises. I also do not max out like I used to anymore, I peak out around 80% of my max and just do extra reps.

This was from last week on empty stomach. I was shocked to see my weight has went above 200. Before I started semi-dieting and my current routine. I am definitely leaner, but more muscular. Not sure if I want to maintain my current progress since clothes are getting tighter.

P_20150902_204215_p.jpg

I'm 81 Ks and 5'10.5". (I think weight in Ks and length in feet/ inches, clothes in inches, except for long distances where I think in Ks, building - I do some things in CMs others in inches)
A small gut peeking bulging poking out more than I'd like. I try to do weights every second day, and bike every day in between. Not there yet. Too cold.
Have been on the 2/7 day fast diet a while back but additional household members have changed cooking/eating patterns back to not what I want. I'm in no danger of bulking up except around belly.

Good to see other workout guys here!

6'1" 212 (today). I workout with a trainer 2x per week from September thru May, 1x per week in the summer. I"ll mix in other workouts, usually getting some form of exercise every day of the week, sometimes just 6. I naturally have a high activity level and can walk 8+ miles on some days in addition. Mostly interested in aesthetics and being healthy long term.
My weakness' are lifelong poor food choices (obesity in my family), and that I fucking love drinking.

I've been back on the bike for a couple months after the spring's stress eating marathon. Four days a week, mostly indoor on the trainer unfortunately. Lifting just once a week after last years tendonitis debacle.

I've been back on the bike for a couple months after the spring's stress eating marathon. Four days a week, mostly indoor on the trainer unfortunately. Lifting just once a week after last years tendonitis debacle.
What kind of tendinitis?

FWIW:

Carbs are 4 calories/gram
Proteins are 4 calories/gram
Fats are 9 calories/gram
Alcohol is 7 calories/gram

Alcohol is not exactly a carbohydrate, and one shot of liquor is about 14 grams of alcohol. Beer has less alcohol, but way more carbohydrates. Drinking really wreaks havoc on your metabolic system. I am noticeably leaner after weekends after which I have to work, than those where I have time off.

From personal experience, in order to make major changes to your body, you have to beat the shit out of yourself. high intensity, high variability. I've had two ACL rebuilds, numerous significant muscle pulls, shoulder problems, etc. And I barely ever miss a session. I just do whatever else I am able, as hard as I can.

FWIW:

Carbs are 4 calories/gram
Proteins are 4 calories/gram
Fats are 9 calories/gram
Alcohol is 7 calories/gram

Alcohol is not exactly a carbohydrate, and one shot of liquor is about 14 grams of alcohol. Beer has less alcohol, but way more carbohydrates. Drinking really wreaks havoc on your metabolic system. I am noticeably leaner after weekends after which I have to work, than those where I have time off.

The trick here is to never stop drinking. Your metabolism will adjust :)

What kind of tendinitis?

I've had bad elbow tendonitis since I was young. Derailed a promising pitching (or any baseball) ability. Went to hard on weights last year and did a number on my left elbow and had to stop lifting for like three months.

From personal experience, in order to make major changes to your body, you have to beat the shit out of yourself. high intensity, high variability. I've had two ACL rebuilds, numerous significant muscle pulls, shoulder problems, etc. And I barely ever miss a session. I just do whatever else I am able, as hard as I can.

So you aren't trying to be any healthier, you are just going for performance. Which is fine. I'm an ex- college football player, I know all about it. That isn't my goal anymore. I just like general well being these days, and some cycling performance.

I've had bad elbow tendonitis since I was young. Derailed a promising pitching (or any baseball) ability. Went to hard on weights last year and did a number on my left elbow and had to stop lifting for like three months.

So you aren't trying to be any healthier, you are just going for performance. Which is fine. I'm an ex- college football player, I know all about it. That isn't my goal anymore. I just like general well being these days, and some cycling performance.

I hate to pull this card, but genetics has a lot to do with it. A lot of people have to work much harder to maintain a moderately athletic build, whereas some people can waltz into a gym once a week and maintain a 6 pack. One of my best friends is of the latter persuasion, but he's also an immigrant from Cameroon.

It is about being healthier though. I personally need to workout hard to get results that I want.

Me too. What/when did you play?

Do you cycle competitively?

I hate to pull this card, but genetics has a lot to do with it. A lot of people have to work much harder to maintain a moderately athletic build, whereas some people can waltz into a gym once a week and maintain a 6 pack. One of my best friends is of the latter persuasion, but he's also an immigrant from Cameroon.

No argument from me. But It's important to delineate health and aesthetics.

It is about being healthier though. I personally need to workout hard to get results that I want.

Me too. What/when did you play?

Do you cycle competitively?

Replacing ligaments isn't healthy, it's actually the opposite, but like I said, I understand what you mean. People who are always militant about the exact right health thing food or exercise wise I think are really missing the point, you need to make life what you want for it to be worthwhile, and exercising for performance and/or aesthetics are as good a pursuit as any. Drinking booze isn't healthy either, but it isn't going to stop me from having a few, right?

I was a DB my whole life, the one long haired white kid who could run and wasn't scared to hit anyone. Kinda like Pat Tillman minus the talent.

I sort of go in and out of cycling competitively, racing sailboats is my primary sport/former job.

No argument from me. But It's important to delineate health and aesthetics.

Replacing ligaments isn't healthy, it's actually the opposite, but like I said, I understand what you mean. People who are always militant about the exact right health thing food or exercise wise I think are really missing the point, you need to make life what you want for it to be worthwhile, and exercising for performance and/or aesthetics are as good a pursuit as any. Drinking booze isn't healthy either, but it isn't going to stop me from having a few, right?

I was a DB my whole life, the one long haired white kid who could run and wasn't scared to hit anyone. Kinda like Pat Tillman minus the talent. I sort of go in and out of cycling competitively, racing sailboats is my primary sport/former job.

The ligament repairs are a result of my football career, long in the past. (Two years of a highly ranked Div 3 school at linebacker. I was talented, but fragile :) ) It impacts my training however, and that is why I mention it. I also mention the injuries as almost never disrupting my training. It goes on, in whatever capacity I can manage, and has for more than 20 years. When I think of health, I think mostly about cholesterol levels, resting heart rate, etc. Injuries are the cost of doing business to me.
I admit my lifestyle can sometimes (nightly?) be at odds. FWIW, when I say I like to drink, what I mean is I am likely to kill a bottle of wine daily (my wife will have a glass) with dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom