General fitness

Atlantic salmon is all farm-raised (bad for you), and wild Pacific is contaminated from Fukushima.

RIP salmon diet.

Most salmon here is from Norwegian aquaculture, which seems to be alright. At least this what they say, e.g. plenty of space, no preventive medication, little use of fish pellets, etc.

".....And he talked to someone on the Bullet Train who saw a Perez Hilton Tweet posted on Facebook from someone who knew a scientist who had once dated a woman whose son had used a Radio Shack Geiger counter to measure radiation levels in a Barbour To Ki To jacket made in collaboration with Tokihto Yoshida while in a dentist's office in Tokyo and found some bad radiations that would most likely kill childrens dead...."

IMG_6151.PNG
IMG_6152.PNG

Just a little update on my fitness regimen. I am now doing all my Indian club exercises with five-pound clubs, which may not sound like much, but if you've ever swung the clubs, you'd know they are quite challenging. My wife gave me (at my request) a 62 pound kettlebell for Xmas, and I am now doing all my kettlebell work with that. The transition from my 53-pounder was not nearly as strenuous as I thought. I hope I can segue to a 70+ kettlebell this spring. We also got some Rogue Monster Bands for Christmas, and I have incorporated some movements with these into my training.

Last edited:
Just a little update on my fitness regimen. I am now doing all my Indian club exercises with five-pound clubs, which may not sound like much, but if you've ever swung the clubs, you'd know they are quite challenging. My wife gave me (at my request) a 62 pound kettlebell for Xmas, and I am now doing all my kettlebell work with that. The transition for my 53-pounder was not nearly as strenuous as I thought. I hope I can segue to a 70+ kettlebell this spring. We also got some Rogue Monster Bands for Christmas, and I have incorporate some movements with these into my training.
That's pretty fucking impressive Jan.

Been hitting the gym pretty hard the last few weeks to work off that Xmas pud:

day 1 chest and shoulders - freeweight bench press (horizontal, incline and upright); horizontal flies (lighter weights touching the floor either side bring to chest); heavy shrug lifts (100+kgs); tricep curls; unassisted dips

day 2 back and biceps - lat pulldowns; seated row; bicep curls, reverse forearm curls; lower back extensions with 15kg weight; side extensions with 10kg weights; a few pullups if I have any juice left.

day 3 cardio and legs - 10x500m rowing with 1m rest between sets (<30m total time); calf presses; glute, quad and hamstring machines; situps and/or ab machine.

weekend recovery - lap swimming in the harbour, running if my knees hold up.

Impressive weight on the shrug lifts dude! A diet of nearly two decades of office jobs and having young hungry people to do my work for me has reduced my heavy shrugs to 65kgs.

Impressive weight on the shrug lifts dude! A diet of nearly two decades of office jobs and having young hungry people to do my work for me has reduced my heavy shrugs to 65kgs.
Thanks, though I get a bit more leverage on the machine with wrist straps, compared with free weights. I notice the shrug machine is broken now though so I'll have to do it with barbells which will limit me to about 80kgs or as much as my fingers will allow me to lift without disconnecting from my hands.

Thanks, though I get a bit more leverage on the machine with wrist straps, compared with free weights. I notice the shrug machine is broken now though so I'll have to do it with barbells which will limit me to about 80kgs or as much as my fingers will allow me to lift without disconnecting from my hands.
No comment

So I somehow fucked up my left knee doing fairly easy spinning on my bike. Getting older sucks.

Just saw in the paper today that three University of Oregon football players were hospitalized (and the strength coach has been suspended for a month) after doing a mere hour of strenuous calisthenics (push ups and "up and downs"). I find it hard to believe that elite young athletes could be so affected, especially in cool weather. However, two of them were about 6'2" or 6'3" and well over 300 pounds. I can't believe carrying that much weight around can be healthy for these young fellows, and I believe a good many of them do die young. Back in my day, a lineman weighing 250 was a monster. These days that's a weight for a linebacker. I just wonder if they freaked because there was blood in their urine. That happened to me now and again when I was doing a lot of running, but I never gave it much thought.

Last edited:
How's your knee cap tracking? Does it pop when you turn?

No it doesn't pop. It felt like the track was off, but I think it might be from a strength imbalance. I've never had tracking issues before so something had to cause it

No it doesn't pop. It felt like the track was off, but I think it might be from a strength imbalance. I've never had tracking issues before so something had to cause it
Doesn't necessarily preclude you from developing one now. do you foam roll?

Along with the cardiovascular cycling several times a week (weather permitting) once a week a do a 20 minute anaerobic exercises in the gym with a trainer. This includes two minutes of slow weight lifting 10 seconds up and down and then half way holding the weights for another 10 seconds. This is repeated on several machines.

This is sufficient to keep the muscles quite toned and I have been surprised how effective this 20 minute a week training has been.

amen. make sure to get the IT bands. tight IT bands lead to patellar issues. how's your quad strength? i'm assuming they're stronger than your hamstrings with all the cycling?

Actually you really use both in the whole pedal stroke if you are doing it right. You do more quads only when you are sprinting.

I've been off the bike for a bit so I think something has just gotten weaker faster than the rest.

Actually you really use both in the whole pedal stroke if you are doing it right. You do more quads only when you are sprinting.

I've been off the bike for a bit so I think something has just gotten weaker faster than the rest.
maybe add in some patellar strengthening. band walk outs are good for this. so are lying side leg raises.

I started back with home weights last week. Part of the New Job/ New Life me. It's going well but I have to go easy on a torn pec muscle that never properly healed. And that's hard, because I'm an all or nothing kind of excercizer.

Kettlebells for Cardio?

For some time, I have been alternating between "heavy" and "light" training days. Every day I swing Indian clubs and do "floor" exercises. On the heavy days, I have been doing a full body kettlebell routine. On the light days, I have been training on our elliptical machine. However, of late, the elliptical has just seemed not very challenging, and I have to wonder how much benefit I am getting from it.

Today, I decided to try some high-repetition kettlebell work. I started out with a 45-pounder, but it seem a little on the heavy side--too much akin to the 62-pounder I routinely using on heavy days. I then dropped down to my little one-pood (36.11-pound) kettlebell, which seemed more like it. I tried five sets of 40-50 Russian-style (shoulder height) swings, each set followed by about 30 goblet squats. This seemed more demanding, but I still wonder if I am getting enough cardio. Running is out because of knee problems in the past. For awhile I was pounding a tire with a sledge hammer, but I discontinued this when I discovered it was tearing the hell out of the lawn. I am trying to find a way to resume this, as it was a most enjoyable form of exercise. Anyway, any suggestions from the knowledgeable fellows here would be appreciated.

Contracted a bad case of giardiasis last week, lost 7kg in 3 days, looking shredded as fuark.

Added another 10lbs to my home dumbbell set yesterday. Then I remembered I have a conference in San Antonio in two week. I looked up the hotel and it seems they only have those yuppie cardio machines and no free weights. Grrrr.

Unfortunately, my fitness regimen has ground to an abrupt halt lately. Last week, I was advised by one of the area's leading doctors in the area of sports medicine to cease all heavy gripping for about a month to give my right forearm a rest. Today, I saw my primary physician for a swollen calf. He believes it may be a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot). This could have fatal consequences. In any event, if I vanish from the forum indefinitely, that's probably what will have happened.

Ironically, yesterday I finally received the 75-pound kettlebell my wife ordered for my birthday in March. It is in the shape of a grizzly bear's head. I just hope I survive to get some mileage out of "Monarch," as I named him in honor of the last California grizzly in captivity. Monarch was put down 106 years ago. He was a big bear, weighed 1,129 pounds, as I recall, although captivity had rendered him somewhat obese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom