Good Articles That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

I wouldn’t write off a reemergence of the evangelical left. Groups like Sojourners are still out there, but I see a lot of these new, youth-oriented nondenominational evangelical churches in the South where the kids are all pretty liberal.

This might also mean more Xtian rock or worse still, it’s going to get hip and cool.

"Every morning, Farha Shaikh stands on top of a more-than-a-century-old rubbish mountain in Mumbai, waiting for garbage trucks to make their way up.

The 19-year-old waste picker has been scavenging through these heaps in the Deonar suburb for as long as she can remember.

Every few weeks, Farha finds a 'dead' mobile phone in the trash. She digs into her meagre savings and gets it repaired. Once it flickers to life, she spends her evenings watching films, playing video games, texting and calling friends."

Sounds like a reality version of those Star Wars movies on Tatoonie.

"Every morning, Farha Shaikh stands on top of a more-than-a-century-old rubbish mountain in Mumbai, waiting for garbage trucks to make their way up.

The 19-year-old waste picker has been scavenging through these heaps in the Deonar suburb for as long as she can remember.

Every few weeks, Farha finds a 'dead' mobile phone in the trash. She digs into her meagre savings and gets it repaired. Once it flickers to life, she spends her evenings watching films, playing video games, texting and calling friends."

Sounds like a reality version of those Star Wars movies on Tatoonie.
Have you ever been to Mumbai?

CE97F85B-86D1-4C16-AB88-8D7AA1927C65.jpeg

This is just laughable ''The route out was offered: elect Corbyn, a 60s style liberal, and do a left wing Brexit. Then engage in actual industrial policy...'' How could such a limited college level pamphleteer as Corbyn come up with an industrial policy? That's implausible.

The tax breaks that made the 80s happen were funded on North Sea oil. The offshore oil & gas industry was booming throughout the 70s and 80s.

The deindustrialization of fishing fleets was done by EU diktat and there were attempts to get ICI to shut plants in Middlesbrough and Runcorn as it was deemed that their was already enough chemical refineries in Europe. ICI successfully fought against it.

Most of the auto industry, with notable exceptions, was not a success in the 70s and was backward from restrictive practices and the antics of the likes of head union convener, Derek Robinson. The cars were quite simply shoddy and couldn't compete on the global market as they were quite simply rubbish.

There's was always significant industries where the UK has been successful and cutting edge, even to the backdrop of deindustrialization which in some cases is straw man for technological improvement reducing man power levels.

The Union was set-up for a fall by Blair. Scotland is turning into a very ugly place indeed and will descend into sectarian chaos and the poor house if they ever leave. Wales under Covid rules is exposed as another place where the politics stinks. The peat bogs of Ireland are always going to be shrouded in mist and never resolved. So business as usual there.

Last edited:
Then engage in actual industrial policy...'' How could such a limited college level pamphleteer as Corbyn come up with an industrial policy? That's implausible.
as implausible as boris and the eton gang coming up with anything sane? how's he doing so far???

The Union was set-up for a fall by Blair. Scotland is turning into a very ugly place indeed and will descend into sectarian chaos and the poor house if they ever leave. Wales under Covid rules is exposed as another place where the politics stinks. The peat bogs of Ireland are always going to be shrouded in mist and never resolved. So business as usual there.
i think the key was that corbyn would attempt to change course on some of these things as opposed to boris steering the ship directly into the cliffs as he's done.

Not that healthy, perhaps, but financially-speaking it's a great deal!

A few years back, I remember reading about a man who lived near an airport. He bought a first-class air ticket, that also entitled him to lounge access on the day of the flight. If I remember correctly, the fee to change/re-book the ticket was minimal. Apparently, he spent the better part of a year just re-booking himself on the next day's flight, day after day after day, so he got to keep going to the first-class lounge to eat and drink every day.

Business class change fees are waived at least for Air Canada and especially for full priced tickets. That said you would have to go through airport security every day. And unless you're in some extremely posh lounge (Hong Kong comes to mind for one airline...I forget which) the food is salty and buffet style. Choice of alcohol is also declining.

Business class change fees are waived at least for Air Canada and especially for full priced tickets. That said you would have to go through airport security every day. And unless you're in some extremely posh lounge (Hong Kong comes to mind for one airline...I forget which) the food is salty and buffet style. Choice of alcohol is also declining.

Cathay's laugh in HKG is really nice. I have spent many a pre-flight there having some food and drink.

Some of the lounges are closed, or where back in July/August as my missus found out. So you'll find other than the flight, access denied.

It can be buffet style, but in Amsterdam/Schipol you can turn right and go to the business class area where you pay for your cocktails and food. It defeats the purpose of course, but on the company pay cheque who cares.

I've got a few of the original D&D manuals, in hardback, written by Gary Gygax.

Speaking of capitalism, I wonder if they're worth anything?

I've got a few of the original D&D manuals, in hardback, written by Gary Gygax.

Speaking of capitalism, I wonder if they're worth anything?
I overheard some friends talking about original RPG games and saying they were worth a small fortune now.

I grew-out of them once I hit my teens, but was big into playing Bushido and Space Opera in the early 1980s. I was the awkward 12yo kid playing D&D with the neighborhood uni students at the church hall. A few years later that translated to having the best drug connections in my high school social circle.

And all this time I thought this forum was full of people who were sports captains and rock stars when they were in school...

FOR THE NERDS

Before the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 we were into D&D's, but it was expensive and the lead figures were mega-expensive back in the early 80s. It was never a poor kid's game. Had Runequest as well, but never had the back-up with the ready made adventures like D&D's. A mate of mine had some older brother who was into it and had hundreds and hundreds of the lead figures all painted brilliantly, must have cost a fortune even back then. The figures were nearly a pound each. The most I paid was GBP 6.50 for a set of goblins riding on wargs.

Once the ZX Spectrum came out 82/83 that wiped away the interest my generation had in D&D's.

I like how only one of them still wears a hijab.

20 years of liberation did have its positive effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom