Hermes ties

R

Rushmore

What is your view on Hermes ties?

Yes: not exactly "rare. Expensive. Ubiquitous. But still.

Do you prefer the classics? Orange with blue, red with grey? Funny animals? Or are you an adventurer, diving into their Heavy Twill and woven offerings? Or even 7cm?

Let us know.

One of my colleagues sports exclusively Hermes ties, so I daren't wear them in case there's some clone zone vibe to us both wearing them. That's the problem with Hermes ties, they're too distinctively Hermes. I've a few geometric ties that could be mistaken for Hermes, but are not. I prefer their classic textured orange and more plain ones.

I like Drakes as well, but I went on the Drakes website yesterday and was a bit disappointed with the tie offerings. I assume more on the way this season. And if you're sporting a T&A collar, nothing beats a T&A tie.

If you like the design, the quality is good, then who gives a fuck who makes it?

With Hermes, you're paying massive overheads for the brand name. Avoid like the plague.

Yes, but sometimes paying for Hermes is justified with certain things like the brilliant coloured high quality cashmere they have made which is unique, but probably not for ties imo unless you really like the designs.

How open-minded and tolerant
what? what the fuck does not wanting little elephants with umbrellas, or whatever god awful design they are running now, have to do with open-mindedness and tolerance? are you attempting to say that because no one here would be interested in wearing any of the shitty looking Hermes designs that we are somehow anti-gay?

what? what the fuck does not wanting little elephants with umbrellas, or whatever god awful design they are running now, have to do with open-mindedness and tolerance? are you attempting to say that because no one here would be interested in wearing any of the shitty looking Hermes designs that we are somehow anti-gay?

Well, that's just about killed off this thread before it was getting started!

220px-CathedralOfTrier_Skeleton.jpg

I was looking forward to lots of photos of Hermes whimsy:

bf4d977eab6430c5cad3cd75cf349c81.jpg

98b77feb180ba541e4a6f9eb7e0f6702.jpg

HERMES-Blue-Red-Yellow--Green-Fruits--Florals-Print-Silk-Tie_46165A_600x.jpg

5851c69863c3d98cde9c9b762c33a35c.jpg

imagesYEX5O2DB.jpg

hawaiian-shirt-kennington-2.JPG

Well, thats all nice.

But back to Hermes ties, as per the title of the thread.

I quite like the current ones, but they're pretty much a modern-yet-archaic status symbol. The only people that give two shits about H ties are upper-middle class professionals (Investment bankers, management consultants, lawyers, etc.) - and if anything, they're just articles people wear to "fit in".

As someone wrote: "Hermès ties are like Air Jordans for white people."

I quite like the current ones, but they're pretty much a modern-yet-archaic status symbol. The only people that give two shits about H ties are upper-middle class professionals (Investment bankers, management consultants, lawyers, etc.) - and if anything, they're just articles people wear to "fit in".

As someone wrote: "Hermès ties are like Air Jordans for white people."

The Chinese are crazy for Hermès ties. That says it all.

About building a capsule tie wardrobe, my latest plan.

"I have an aversion to bright red (so many politicians look so bad with a dark suit and a white shirt, with a bright-red tie).
But I have nothing against a burgundy, it’s a lovely colour. I’d have one in my top 10, as I say. It’s just never as versatile as navy, and often as green." - S. Crompton

I agree, as rarely as that happens. The best Hermes ties are the one where the base colour (i.e. red or orange) is heavily muted by a grey over-pattern.

And:

"I’ve never understood the web’s notorious clotheshorses and their compulsive acquiring. Money is not the issue, as some spend lavishly while others are inveterate thrifters. At some point both must reach a stage of surfeit, when it’s impossible for every item in their wardrobe to be fondly cherished. It’s the difference between having a dog and having a kennel. At some point it’s just variety for its own sake, and at that point are your clothes really an extension of you?"- Christian Chensvold

Would it be possible to get down to 10 ties?

How do I avoid the "in Summer you need bright pastels" trap?

"I have an aversion to bright red (so many politicians look so bad with a dark suit and a white shirt, with a bright-red tie).
But I have nothing against a burgundy, it’s a lovely colour. I’d have one in my top 10, as I say. It’s just never as versatile as navy, and often as green." - S. Crompton

I agree, as rarely as that happens. The best Hermes ties are the one where the base colour (i.e. red or orange) is heavily muted by a grey over-pattern.

And:

"I’ve never understood the web’s notorious clotheshorses and their compulsive acquiring. Money is not the issue, as some spend lavishly while others are inveterate thrifters. At some point both must reach a stage of surfeit, when it’s impossible for every item in their wardrobe to be fondly cherished. It’s the difference between having a dog and having a kennel. At some point it’s just variety for its own sake, and at that point are your clothes really an extension of you?"- Christian Chensvold

Crompton is displaying the English aversion to pristine white shirts paired with bright strident ties. You will find the English do peacock ties but in general subdued ties and jacket pairings. However, in Crompton case he has a dull palate of brown and blues and now it seems a bit of burgundy.

One fears in Chinny-Chenners case he has such a small studio apartment that he must constantly keep his clothes to a minimum so that there remains room for the hot plate.

I am thinking about buying a studio flat in SW London because of that.

I really like some of the patterns that Hermes uses for its ties - they did some lovely patterns based on Aesop's fables some years back.

However, whenever I've tried one on, I've always been disappointed by the knot and the way the tie sits, or hangs. It's almost as if the silk is too slippery.

Well, Hermes ties are pretty gay so I guess it is.

I used to have some Hermes ties, Id say around 5 or 6. I like some of their more conservative patterns, especially in dark blues or reds. But I sold em all off eventually. I couldnt get a decent knot out of them and they didnt hold shape very well. Count me off the H ties train.

And:

Slight tangent here but it’s amusing that you quote a bloke advocating a ‘capsule wardrobe’ ... right after you quote baldy egg head who seems to aquire a new suit every week and unless he has started up a cottage industry of shifting them out the back door to some army of slope-shouldered clones, must have living quarters the size of a warehouse to house all that shit.
I remember him doing a post a couple of years back showing his ‘study’ which was a tiny room with an archaic rickety wooden desk that wouldn’t look out of place in Bob Cratchit’s workspace and was barely big enough to seat a laptop, and we’re supposed to believe he directs his PS empire from there? Ridiculous egg-headed shitweasel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom