Home Automation

Grand Potentate

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Anyone big into this? I need to start looking into making things easier to access and available from the phone. Any recommendations or complaints?

I was looking into a video doorbell and a lighting system/switches that are available from a phone app. No Alexa necessary. I'm not having those creeps listen to everything i say.

so far on the doorbell front, Ring seems to be the leader. they all require a subscription for internet video saving but i like that the Ring only saves video when interactions happen, i.e. when someone comes to the door. the Google Nest doorbell seems to save ALL video all the time.

Never got into any of that. I have a automatic garage door that worked a couple of times and then I switched to manual as it kept on opening on its' own.

Never got into any of that. I have a automatic garage door that worked a couple of times and then I switched to manual as it kept on opening on its' own.
Yeah there are a lot pf things i dont like about it as well but its become clear that its benefits outweigh its drawbacks, at least in the important areas.

so far on the doorbell front, Ring seems to be the leader. they all require a subscription for internet video saving but i like that the Ring only saves video when interactions happen, i.e. when someone comes to the door. the Google Nest doorbell seems to save ALL video all the time.

Wait a bit. A bunch of other companies are bringing out similar products soon to compete with Ring.

Siminoff sold himself to Amazon for a billion to get max $$ before the market got crowded.

It will probably be bundled with Alexa.

Google is doing one thought Nest.

Skybell HD gets some good reviews. Both are WiFi. Skybell saves video from just before the motion is detected.

Blink is a well regarded low cost one, for $99. Bought by Amazon.

We have an iPhone app remote garage door opener thing. I kinda like it for checking to make sure I close the garage door if I left in a hurry in the morning. Or if I leave the house by the garage I can close it without bringing the clicker thing that I keep in my car. However, the missus has it set to automatically open when she is in proximity of home and to close automatically when she leaves. Twice it has failed and smashed down on her car while pulling in.

The Nest thing is kinda handy for warming or chilling the house remotely, but mostly I like it for reducing the electricity bill with smart programing.

The Joule water boiler gadget has it's uses, but the whole smart phone connectivity is over-hyped.

I’ve been doing a lot of BBQing lately and using the Joule more.

We also dropped the home alarm monitoring contract after the wireless thing died. Switched to Nest or Google or whatever it’s called for motion detectors and door sensors. Also added a smoke alarm and CO monitor in the kids room onto it.

The cameras are on a different service.

I’m still a Luddite. What did you end-up putting in your home, Grand Potentate Grand Potentate ?

Last edited:
I’ve been doing a lot of BBQing lately and using the Joule more.

We also dropped the home alarm monitoring contract after the wireless thing died. Switched to Nest or Google or whatever it’s called for motion detectors and door sensors. Also added a smoke alarm and CO monitor in the kids room onto it.

The cameras are on a different service.

I’m still a Luddite. What did you end-up putting in your home, Grand Potentate Grand Potentate ?
i kind of gave up on the project. i dont want anything in the house that listens and records every single word i say here so that eliminates a LARGE portion of the market. i understand the appeal if you need the monitoring but the privacy aspects scare the shit out of me.

i kind of gave up on the project. i dont want anything in the house that listens and records every single word i say here so that eliminates a LARGE portion of the market. i understand the appeal if you need the monitoring but the privacy aspects scare the shit out of me.

Just don't harbour any scandalous thoughts. Problem solved.

Somehow we got signed up for a free trial of the Amazon Astro robot. I cannot overemphasise how useless this device is even leaving aside my serious privacy concerns.

My daughter loves it because it is cute.

34DC7044-FEF7-4848-9D68-8BDC4192BEF5.jpeg

Somehow we got signed up for a free trial of the Amazon Astro robot. I cannot overemphasise how useless this device is even leaving aside my serious privacy concerns.

My daughter loves it because it is cute.

View attachment 45690

What does it do for you? That red light looks menacing.

Nothing useful.

if I stop posting, it’s becomes the machines have taken over.

You spent $999 on it? And some features need an ongoing subscription?

It can check if your stove or oven is turned on... Can it turn it off?

My cousin could use it to keep track of his senior citizen father but if I use it on my parents they will probably kill it or lock it in a closet.

You spent $999 on it? And some features need an ongoing subscription?

It can check if your stove or oven is turned on... Can it turn it off?

My cousin could use it to keep track of his senior citizen father but if I use it on my parents they will probably kill it or lock it in a closet.

Beta testing for free. It will be going back to Cyberdyne Systems very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom