Improving DressedWell.net v2

had to take the giphy button off the toolbar for a bit while we work some kinks out. can't risk some of less mature members running wild with it. will add it back once we get a better handle on where and when it can show up.

working on the new theme a bit. got the message headers back so there's some space between the messages now. will work on the color and a few other options next.

edit - back to default. le sigh.

Last edited:
When we quote a post with images, the url to the image is shown, not the image. This annoys the hell out of me. Is it possible to set up the quotes, so that the images are shown, or perhaps even better, the images shown hidden with a button you could click?

When we quote a post with images, the url to the image is shown, not the image. This annoys the hell out of me. Is it possible to set up the quotes, so that the images are shown, or perhaps even better, the images shown hidden with a button you could click?
Now it should say 'view attachment'. This was done to save space and increase page load times, especially on mobile. Its actually built into the forum software now.

Last edited:
I don't dislike the new forum appearance. But the good thing about the old one was the compactness. I'm sure the fonts don't have to be this big?

I don't dislike the new forum appearance. But the good thing about the old one was the compactness. I'm sure the fonts don't have to be this big?
thank you, this is a constructive point that i can try to address. currently we're on the default theme, which is standard on all new installs of v2. thruth, doghouse, and i are testing a few other styles since the one i had planned turned into such a disaster. once that's done we'll let them loose on the forum for testing. i think you guys will like these much better.

i've disabled the chat for the moment. just too many issues with it until i can get a handle on some of the fixes.

I put up one of the new themes to try out. Im sure it will go over swimmingly and every one of our esteemed members will provide constructive, thoughtful feedback.

Being a Northerner I quite like a blue colour, but this baby blue at the top is a bit too bright! Other than that, no problemo!

Color is an easy fix. Give me some bullet points on whats good and what sucks.

Sux :
No bullet point formatting available ;
Where are my old likes?
No blind guy;
No green;
New giphy layout ;
Conchita being heavily moderated;
Césare banned ; and
My bunny ears have been cut off.

Good:
No chat and the cretins that populate that section ;
The ability to give thumbs down, angry face, wrench, and the face with the straight line for mouth.

Last edited:
Color is an easy fix. Give me some bullet points on whats good and what sucks.

Like I said before, I'm on a big screen when I read the forum and right now it's like a flashlight going off when I open this site.
Haven't tried it on the phone, though.
A slighty more toned down top part (either darker shade of blue or grey) would be nice.

The ability to give thumbs down, angry face, wrench, and the face with the straight line for mouth.
I don't see that on my screen. Only a LIKE button!

Also two troubling security issues which might suck or be good depending on your perspective :
1) the proliferation of Asian named BOTs. Possibly Russian bots using Indian and Chinese names to confuse certain senior members.

E0769DDA-7BEB-4769-BD91-CEFC7DC37473.png BECDF3FF-A7EC-4096-987B-EDE8DEFE7954.png 2FA414DC-5805-413E-BE20-DEDA2D686E2C.jpeg

2) the web site is not secure :

69C5CEC7-5DAC-485A-ABC7-E44E1425475D.jpeg

Like I said before, I'm on a big screen when I read the forum and right now it's like a flashlight going off when I open this site.
Haven't tried it on the phone, though.
A slighty more toned down top part (either darker shade of blue or grey) would be nice.

I don't see that on my screen. Only a LIKE button!
For the reactions on desktop, hover over the thumb button with your mouse to bring up the reactions box.

Sux :
No bullet point formatting available ;
Where are my old likes?
No blind guy;
No green;
New giphy layout ;
Césare banned ; and
My bunny ears have been cut off.

Good:
No chat and the cretins that populate that section ;
Ok, this is a start. Lets take them point by pont:

Bullet points can be easily re-added to the editor but ive never seen a single bullet point list from anyone. I certainly could have missed it. Is that popular?

Likes are still in your profile. Are you on desktop or mobile?

Again color can be easily changed. Just bear with me while we sort out which theme we actually like. Then the color can, and will, be modified.

The giphy layout - tell me what you do and dont like there. Is it the way the box displays the gifs? Ive reported to the developer that its showing them randomly and the random gift are taking up random amounts of space. sometimes you'll seemingly get a window with one gif and sometimes you'll get 2.5.

avatars - you prefer square over round?

chat's coming back eventually. might be best to keep it on its own page though. we'll see what i can do with the styling.

you like the reactions feature? did you like the other version better?

Also two troubling security issues which might suck or be good depending on your perspective :
1) the proliferation of Asian named BOTs. Possibly Russian bots using Indian and Chinese names to confuse certain senior members.

View attachment 29575View attachment 29576View attachment 29577

2) the web site is not secure :

View attachment 29574

search engine bots scrape the site. that's how they work and what they're supposed to do. i'm looking into a way to exclude them from the member list.

in regards to security, this site has never had SSL certification. if you'd like to donate the fee for it I can talk to our host about adding it.
Also can we have the love cat as a reaction choice : this is the cat with heart eyes 😻
i'll look into it. any other ones you want?

For the reactions on desktop, hover over the thumb button with your mouse to bring up the reactions box.

Ok, this is a start. Lets take them point by pont:

Bullet points can be easily re-added to the editor but ive never seen a single bullet point list from anyone. I certainly could have missed it. Is that popular?

Likes are still in your profile. Are you on desktop or mobile?

Again color can be easily changed. Just bear with me while we sort out which theme we actually like. Then the color can, and will, be modified.

The giphy layout - tell me what you do and dont like there. Is it the way the box displays the gifs? Ive reported to the developer that its showing them randomly and the random gift are taking up random amounts of space. sometimes you'll seemingly get a window with one gif and sometimes you'll get 2.5.

avatars - you prefer square over round?

chat's coming back eventually. might be best to keep it on its own page though. we'll see what i can do with the styling.

you like the reactions feature? did you like the other version better?

Your original message that I was replying too asked for bullet points. Since we don’t have that formatting I could not follow your request. Hence my comment.

I’m on mobile.

Yes gifs appear randomly, I prefer the Old layout, easier to navigate.

My preference is that my entire avatar is shown as was the case in a previous version.

I like the reactions feature

i'll look into it. any other ones you want?

besides the love cat, I like the shit emoji and also the alien when discussing blue loafers. The detective and cop emojis are also top. Also the eggplant and peach to indicate sex organs. All of the Arab, camel and Chinaman related ones are good too depending on the context.

Last edited:
Your original message that I was replying too asked for bullet points. Since we don’t have that formatting I could not follow your request. Hence my comment.
ah, well done. i was serious about that though. if its something anyone's interested in it can easily be added back into the toolbar.

I’m on mobile.
i'll see if i can get them to display more prominently.

Yes gifs appear randomly, I prefer the Old layout, easier to navigate.
i know i'm not too happy with it either. i'll look into alternatives. the old giphy addon has a new version but the guy stuck a giant giphy logo and his own branding in there. maybe i can get him to take it off. i changed the giphy button to work below the editor now. it should bring up a box at the bottom for you to type your search into. try that and see if its any better.

My preference is that my entire avatar is shown as was the case in a previous version.
should be changed to the default styling now. let me know how it appears to you.

I like the reactions feature
good to hear. i've been toying with two different versions so we'll have to see which one people like better. i just asked the dev about this:

besides the love cat, I like the shit emoji and also the alien when discussing blue loafers. The detective and cop emojis are also top. Also the eggplant and peach to indicate sex organs. All of the Arab, camel and Chinaman related ones are good too depending on the context.
to see how we can get reactions based on emojis. i don't know if its possible but i'll work on it.

and remember everyone, these are effectively just default out of the box themes. we'll dial it all in once we pick one out. i'm going to roll out another one to try on monday so we can sample them for a few days each to see what's liked and, most likely, what's hated.

if any of you would like to give your opinion i'd appreciate the feedback. we're choosing anything off this page:

https://www.themehouse.com/xenforo/2/themes

the current theme is UI.X. the one we're trying on monday is Drift.

and any of these:

https://pixelexit.com/products/edge.30/

https://pixelexit.com/products/core.1/

https://pixelexit.com/products/flat-awesome.25/

this was our old theme that got upgraded to the new theme that everyone hated with the fire of 1000 suns.

The thumb reaction is too easy to hit and give a like to a post accidentally when scrolling on mobile

some quick updates as my back is fucking killing me and i need to go lay on the ice:

the editor toolbar manager is causing too many problems so i had to turn it off. the insert media button, and the spoiler button, are both in the little drop down button to the right of the smiley face. looks like ... with an arrow facing down.

we're trying out a new giphy addon since the other one wasn't cutting the mustard. its to the right of the drop down ... arrow down and looks like a dotted circle. FriendCustomer FriendCustomer

the chat page is back for now while i test it out at least you guys can chat. having it above the forum list is just not working at the moment.

Last edited:
and remember everyone, these are effectively just default out of the box themes. we'll dial it all in once we pick one out. i'm going to roll out another one to try on monday so we can sample them for a few days each to see what's liked and, most likely, what's hated.

if any of you would like to give your opinion i'd appreciate the feedback. we're choosing anything off this page:

https://www.themehouse.com/xenforo/2/themes

the current theme is UI.X. the one we're trying on monday is Drift.

and any of these:

https://pixelexit.com/products/edge.30/

https://pixelexit.com/products/core.1/

https://pixelexit.com/products/flat-awesome.25/

this was our old theme that got upgraded to the new theme that everyone hated with the fire of 1000 suns.

Don't think there are big differences between them, not even on a big screen. At least not big enough to pay for it.

The thumb reaction is too easy to hit and give a like to a post accidentally when scrolling on mobile

Since I'm probably one of the few using a desktop I'd say make it as mobile friendly as possible.

Is there a possibility to add a “jump to the last post” button, just like there used to be?
jump to new.png

i'm trying to talk to xenforo to get them to give me the correct template edits to get the threads and conversations to jump to the first unread or newest post. its a bit of a slog.

while i have you here the new v2 software allows for some updated payment profiles:

payment profiles.png

let me know if Stripe, Braintree, or 2Checkout work for you on that side of the earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom